Cottage Yes Please
US$59
Hotels.com
US$137
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmain bazaartrain stationlate at nightwi firoom servicerooftop restaurantganjnatrajlaundry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We were in Delhi at both the beginning and end of our trip in India, and stayed at both Cottage Yes Please, and their sister guesthouse Cottage Crown Plaza just over the road. They're good places for Paharganj - very good value, friendly staff and you're able to leave your luggage very easily. The rooms were clean, the fans worked well and in both places we had a very comfortable stay. Paharganj is the backpacker area of Delhi, so the cheapest you're going to find, and this was certainly good value for money. If you're arriving in India for the first time, depending on how well you cope with busy/dirty/noisy places, Paharganj may not be the best place to stay; it's a bit like being thrown in the deep end. Great fun though!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanna H
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I have to begin by stating that of the two days we spent in Delhi our time in the neighbourhood surrounding the hotel (Paharganj) was by far the least pleasant. I think if you have a wealth of experience in India Paharganj might not bother you so much, but if you are arriving through Delhi and this neighbourhood is your first experience in India you are in for a rough night or two. The noise, the stench, the dirt, and the general odiousness of the streets were the worst of our month long stay in India.
The hotel itself wasn't much better as the bathroom had likely not been cleaned in months, with a rusted cracked toilet and the faucet in the sink was so loose you could spin it all the way around. There was also the distinct odour of mould in the room, and I don't mean musty, I mean mouldy.
The common areas aren't bad, and for 900 rp you get a fridge and a tv, but I strongly suggest you spend a little more and stay not only somewhere else, but in another neighbourhood.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We booked via email but when we arrived they only had a family room available so upgraded us for free( unusual for India!). Rooms were clean and matters thicker than most for the price. Hot showers and some rooms even have heating - a big bonus in winter. A bit noisy at night but again you expect it in Delhi. For under 1000THB it's excellent value

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Recently stayed at this place upon arrival in India.

Whilst it wasn't as great as the L.P suggests my stay was fairly pleasant.

I had room 209 on the second floor overlooking the street. The window itself was quite small so didn't let much light in. The flying rats (aka pigeons) which lived just outside and landed noisily on the air con unit were a minor annoyance. Decor was garish to say the least. Perhaps it would be appealing to Indian eyes. As mentioned the room overlooked the street so was pretty LOUD until late at night. Don't come to this country without earplugs.

The bathroom was pretty grim, toilet hadn't been cleaned properly since... ever. Shower was pretty ancient. Had to hold it in hand while showering. Leaked so floor was always wet. Hot water was fine in the morning but absent one afternoon when I took a rather bracing shower. January in Delhi aint tropical. Very low quality toilet paper was provided but I ended up buying my own.

Nobody came to clean during the 4 days I spent there (4 days is TOO much time to spend in Delhi by the way people) but perhaps they would of had I asked.

There was a wifi connection which worked quite well (100R per 24 hrs.)

Landings and reception were nicer than my room. Decked out in imitation marble with plants and statues. In reception was a small seating area and a couple of sofas. Staff were pleasant enough.

They have a tour desk where you can book train tickets etc (200R commission on train tickets.) Though you could easily do it yourself at nearby New Delhi Station which was not nearly as much of a nightmare as I imagined it would be.

Overall probably one of the best options in this area.

The Paharganj is rough on the eye, nose and ear. It's only redeeming features are the multitude of traveller services and proximity to New Delhi Station and the metro. I will consider upgrading to a nicer area when I return to fly out if my finances allow.

Room Tip: Maybe get one not facing the street though I'm not sure what the view would be like. The luxury rooms pictured appear a definite step up from the one I had.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I always stay at this hotel only one night when I arrive at Delhi from Japan. Room is old but clean and large space. Reasonable price. Staffs are friendly. Mr. Rajenda, owner of Shigeta Travel is gentleman and very kindly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo