“Terrible and a dangerous stay.”
Review of Hotel Deepwoods

Hotel Deepwoods
Ranked #54 of 151 Shimla B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Its not a hotel, its a cottage. I saw the reviews on TripAdvisor, with just one terrible review I thought of taking the risk and never knew its gonna turn out to be disastrous. This hotel or cottage is over priced. I booked for 2 nights for Rs 1900. We (3 people) left from Delhi at 8 am and reached Shimla at 8 pm really tired after driving a long way. This hotel is around 15 kms from Shimla. It took us almost an hour to find the hotel. There was no road to this hotel. There was only a broken patch of dusty and broken path with a steep inclination of around 60-70 degree with full of rocks and pebbles from the highway. It was wide enough to fit a small car or a sedan. The car skids back when you try to climb uphill to the hotel. Bad and dangerous idea if you are planning to drive in. There is no parking space available either, had to park it on a cliff. In spite of this dangerous road there's zero lighting. If you are planning to book better insure your car and all of the members who would be staying. We expected a comfortable and cozy welcome but got a haunting experience from the Day1.

Night#1: We checked in at the reception. All Hotels or guest houses have to provide their ID proof like DL or passport to check in but not this one, they never bothered to, which was creepy. Gave us the key to the room and we left to the cottage. It was a few steps down and had no lights on the steps either. Almost fell on the steps, if it wasn't my friend to help. As soon as we entered the room, we could see, smell and feel the room was not cleaned after the last guest checked out. We requested a room change and got another one as we were the only guests. The other room was in a better condition but the bathroom was dirty with stains. Had no option but to take it. The bed was big and the space was enough for 3 people. But it was not comfortable as the mattress was damn hard. We ordered toast, tea and coffee for snacks. The breads were burnt, the coffee was not coffee, can't explain what it was, tea was only consumable. We were too tired to go out and eat so thought of having whisky and spend the night. And to our surprise there was no drink available and there was no one to get it. Had to get it ourselves from a nearby bazaar, it was around 5 kms. Had to experience the deathly road again but were saved. We ordered aloo jeera, yellow dal, aloo gobi and rice to have it along with the drink and to our surprise the dal was full of pebbles (found 3), could taste the sand in aloo jeera and that was not it there was a metal piece in the gobi. Whisky was night savior though.

Day#1: Got up early, went to the reception and complained about the food last night. There was an old man who was not there in the evening. He did not except it, we had expected it. For God's sake man! which hotel does not listen to his guest's complaints? We had to stay out the whole day as we didn't want to experience all of it again. We thought of changing the hotel but all of the payment was made in advance as we booked online and had no choice but to stay. We made sure that we had our lunch & dinner out this time.

Night#2: We thought of getting an extra bed as it was uncomfortable for 3 of us to adjust in a single quilt and 2 pillows. We got filthy old and torn mattress with a stinking (badly stinking) blanket.

Day#3: We were happy to check out of this hotel, in fact one of our happiest moments.

This hotel also lacks in staff. There was only one person who did all the work; house keeping, room service and he was also the bell boy. He worked in both the shifts, day and night. There was no one available after 12 am, so even if you meet with an accident there won't be any one help you.

Room Tip: If you want to have a pleasant trip, choose a good hotel and if your you are planning to book online...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Abhinash J

Reviewed 22 October 2011

One of the best holidays I ever had, remarkable property & very helpful staff.
Best part it was far from madding crowd & this strategic location gives this property even more edge, you centrally located from Kufri, Naldhera & Shimla City.

Apart from that the lush green serenity gave my kodak moments of life.

would love to visit once again & rejuvenate my self after daily chores.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Pros
This hotel is situated for from the city. So its very quiet, aloof and shrouded in greenery. Being situated on a hillock offers a great view of the valley.
Cleanliness is maintained and the deluxe accommodation is satisfactory.
Staff are friendly, well mannered and very responsive.

Cons
Parking your car is tough since parking space is limited. I would not advise novices to drive to this place.
Being far from the city limits your choice of food.
Night life and shopping can be a discomfort since the proximity to the main city is absent.

All in all a great value for money, I would go here again!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deepak81
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I have booked this hotel through Clear Trip and I have found very good, far from busy Shimla crowd around 7 Kms from Shimla in area by name Dhali. I have traveled with my spouse and 4 years kid. The rooms have a good view point of the mountains and the staff is very good. The Hotel is being maintained by Father and Son. The resort is built on small mountain estate from the road, road is bit step with no proper road but any vehicle can easily climb and they have good parking space which is very hard to find in Shimla. They have a free pick up for the people coming to Shimla by bus or train. The owner Anuj is young, very good and cooperative, I have reached Shimla by car from Delhi around 9:30 PM and Anuj has taken many calls from me and guided me perfectly to the hotel and at the last point in Dhali he came by his car as we got confused of the route and followed us to the hotel. Being a small hotel a big plus I will say is free WI-FI Internet service they are providing if anyone has laptop. This place is very close to Kufri and Naldehra major tourist spots in Shimla. I personally didn’t like Shimla but this Hotel is very good location wise. I would happy to share my experience on this hotel if someone wants more information.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank JustVamsi
Reviewed 7 July 2010

it was a third class hotel with fourth class people and service...customer dissatisfaction is their motto...people are not friendly and food is pathetic...room service is never available on time...it is located a good 11 kms from main shimla unlike it is stated that its in shimla...
we were very disappointed from cleatrip and do make it a point that will never use cleartrip again for any sort of bookings...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
4  Thank arorabajaj
Reviewed 25 December 2009

I am fond of lovely location whioch are near natures best.

The beauty and hilly atmosphere is what makes me decide my vacations.

Deepwoods was at such a nice location, initialy i was not sure my that satying at a new place wasa good idea or not but my travel agent did good to convince me and i am glas that he did !

I was overhelmed by the courtesy and care shown by the staff there ..Being Pro-active towards the tourists needs is what attracted me most in this hotel.

All these qualities made me feel comfortable just like i am at my home.

Only thing which irritates me most in hotels is frequent disturance or noise from outside the room but here it was nothing like that happening...

In totality for hotels in its category its an excellent place to enjoy your vacation time or even for bussines purpose tours.

"Worth your money hotel i would say "

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank manu478