New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“One time customer attitude” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel

Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore, Karnataka, India
“One time customer attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Hello,

We visited their restaurent on 24th March 2012. There was some French batch of 40 people in the restaurant making all noises and all waiters were towards those two tables. It was embrassing for me as I had taken guest and made them wait for more than 1 hour to get the main course. I respect foreign guests they are guest to our nation no doubt. But this hotels neglects other customers and treats with similar attitude of one time tourist visitors even to local visitors. I had to be furious to shout and get the attention. These days if customer is unhappy..they serve some free deserts and salads as complimentary.This made me intolerable. As a customer I am happy to get the value for money in their best services. But by giving deserts as complimentary it made us unhappy further more as they bribed me. I don't know what's the logic. People go to this place for the ambience. But reception and service is not welcoming at all ever. For one time customer is okay. Interestingly, even door man will not bother to smile or salute. My request to this hotel treat everyone equally,because everyone pays same. Treat Indians also with respect and dignity. I respect KFC and Mc Donald in this regard - the youth smile,quickness to attend and respect or courtesy extended is also productionised along with their services...no tips.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you during the dinner. The concerns highlighted by you are grave and our management team has looked into the matter. At Royal Orchid Metropole, we value our guests the most and we will take every possible measure to ensure that such remote incidents are avoided . We look forward to welcoming you back .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We ended up enjoying the Metropole the most - by a short head- of all the places in which we stayed when in India. This is not to suggest it is perfect and the beginning was inauspicious - no-one to meet us, took time to find someone to take cases etc. But it improved! Our room was on the 2nd floor and was large, clean comfortable etc although, as other have noted, the bathrooms are decidedly tired by current standards. It had a large, deep balcony which we much appreciated.The grounds were lovely and the pool ( think large plunge pool rather than one for serious swimming) when we were there, was well maintained (although the mattresses on the sun loungers could do with a clean).
The inside restaurant lacks any character but the coffee shop and outside dining have much more charm. Food was great - and good value so we ate there most nights which is unusual for us and the breakfast dosas are to be recommended. We found the bar to be fine and the best value by far of all the places in which we stayed- measure come as 60ml standard but prices same as elsewhere so better value.
This is not a 5* luxury hotel and sometimes we had to go and find someone to serve us in the bar - but as we were often the only people there this is fair enough- and improvements could be made in the overall running of the hotel. Rather it was the overall ambience that charmed us both in the setting, the structure and the courteous friendliness of the staff. Arrangements made in advance - and in secret- for my husband's birthday were all met ( I had had my doubts!) , our names were remembered and even our preferred drinks. We ended up liking it enormously but don't expect chain hotel slickness just yet!

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room with balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for sharing your experience while you stayed with us.
We value your feed back.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your feed back with our team , look forward to welcoming you back soon to the hotel.
East Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed her with colleagues, when we added a day of leisure to a business trip. Having stayed at the very modern, metropolitan hotel in Bangalore, this was a welcome change. It is a restored historic property, and is quite charming. This was recommended by some business colleagues in India, so unlike typical travels, I didn't use TA first. However, I was not disappointed.

The room is very spacious. My room had a couple of full-size bed pushed together (see photo). This was fine since I was alone. I'm not sure what they would have done if I had my wife. The room has an armoire for storage - not a lot of space. The desk is an older-style, and not really setup for laptop use. There is a semi-private outside seating area-semi-private, because while you have walls, they aren't full, so you can see your neighbor's area (and in my case, the corridor on the other side).

Surprisingly, it had a good sized flat-screen TV (which I didn't try), and wireless (not free, but pretty cheap) internet - which worked very well. The A/C and two ceiling fans made the room very comfortable.

The bathroom is large, and has an old-style footed-tub. It has the corresponding shower curtain that goes around the tub. All amenities (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc) were provided. The hot water seemed to be on demand - there was a wall switch that indicated it should be turned on 15 minutes before needed. It worked fine for me - I had plenty of hot water.

There was some street noise - you are right in the middle of Mysore and the property is not that large. My room was also adjacent to the outside restaurant, so there was some noise during the early evening. Nothing that bothered me.

They claim to have two restaurants - that might be true, but I could really make a distinction. There is an inside area, and then an outside area. I don't think there was a difference. Supposedly they have a bar and coffee shop, but I didn't check them out. We ate the lunch buffet, dinner outside, and the breakfast buffet. All were very good and the service was fine.

The hotel service was fine. None of us had any problems with the reservation or the service. Some of the help seemed new - like they were just hired and going through training, but no issues were observed. I mistakenly locked my safe without the password, and maintenance was very prompt and helpful.

The location is in downtown Mysore, but seemed a good walk from the Mysore Palace.

Overall, I thought it was very good. It was clean and comfortable, and had that historic look and feel that I appreciate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your compliments.

We are happy to note that you have had a great stay with us.

Look forward to welcome you back to @Royal Orchid Metropole,Mysore.

Regards
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you want to stay away from Mysore city this is a good place. Hotel itself is grand, location and views you get are great. However, staff were not very welcoming.
We booked thru Agoda, and we were taken to a room and then they tried to move us to a room which was not what we had booked for so did not like this at all. There was a smooth conversation about it and was resolved with ease, they let us stay in the previous room in the end.
Food in the restaurant was nice, Bar was not to the standard we were expecting and did not like them much.
Swimming pool is small and not very well maintained.
Rooms, we choose a King Room and was spacious, bathroom needs some work, as the hotel is quite old you would see signs of these. Rooms were spotless and garden view from the balcony was beautiful. Musical fountain is very much overrated but the garden as such is nice. It gets very busy over the weekend evenings so best to go there during the weekdays.

Room Tip: Pick rooms on 1st floor but near the Dam structure, as this has better view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rao30102010
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feed back.We will certainly share your feed back with the team who are from Royal Orchid Brindavan hotel.

Kindly accept my apology for all the inconvenience caused while you stayed with us @ our Brindavan hotel.

Look forward to welcome you all back on your next visit to Mysore.
Toulouse, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Thanks to a previous TripAdvisor review warning, we requested and obtained triple confirmation of our reservation (they got the month wrong first time). Arrrived at Hotel to be received by Basil Fawlty reception staff who refused to believe we had booked (despite hard copy of booking confirmation), and told us to go somewhere else as hotel full!
After fuss got GM to check with central reservations who confirmed our booking, and 2 hrs later shown to our rooms. Mouldy wallpaper peeling in places, paintwork slapdash, but otherwise clean & spacious. GM did decent thing & offered us a meal on the house
Strangely, restaurant food & service were superb. Surreal internet charge !!!!

Room Tip: Use a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feed back.
We will certainly work on our shortfall ,so that we can meet all our guest expectations.

Kindly accept my sincere apology for all the inconvenience caused
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

spent wonderful nights here in feb 2012. very solid comfort and appointments housed within a colonial maharaja place done to house visiting british back in the day. Great large spotlessly clean rooms. Our room was upstairs with a balcony overlooking the city streets. Food was good with authentic tandoors. The pool was beautifully maintained and well situated. HIGHLY recommended stay in a truly wonderful city.

Room Tip: the upstairs rooms have a private large balcony with tables and chairs and some couches with a ceili...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are happy to note you had a comfortable stay with us.l. I have shared your positive comments with the team members and they are really motivated . We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Mysore.
Chennai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Its actually a palace where the late Mysore Maharaj entertained his European Guests. Now it has been turned in to this Hotel. The reception area looked very modern i thought they have changed it completely. I was given a room with a view of the pool from the Balcony.

When i stepped in to the room i was feeling i had moved nearly 100 years back it was all antiques out there everything in the room was selected with great care and equal care has been taken to furnish them also.

The food in the restaurant was good and real value for the money. The Minibar was finely stocked with everything needed from water to snacks and chocolate.

I left sad to leave the property. But any one travelling to Mysore must stay here once.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your feed back with our team who are really motivated by such responses by our guests. look forward to welcoming you back soon to the hotel.