“Don't confuse Viceroy and Viceroy Comfort, part of same chain”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Viceroy

The Viceroy
Ranked #99 of 138 Mysuru (Mysore) B&B and Inns
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Don't confuse Viceroy and Viceroy Comfort, part of same chain”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

Do not confuse the Viceroy with the Viceroy Comfort, (part of a Mysore Chain of the Viceroy, Viceroy Comfort, and Presidency) but most taxi and rickshaw drivers did. A map on the back of the hotel card proved incomprehensible to both travelers and local drivers alike. The Viceroy is closer to the Palace while the Viceroy Comfort is out of the main action about a 40 rupee autorickshaw ride away from the Palace. The Viceroy Comfort was uneven. Guests more fastidious than me might be offended to seeing someone else's empty water bottle when they checked into the room. Less prepared guests with a preference for Western style toilets would object strenuously to the initial absence of toilet paper. With these problems fixed the rooms would have been fine. The manager was friendly, but told us breakfast was at 8. When I mistakenly took the elevator to the wrong floor there were people eating breakfast at 7:30. The kitchen staff was pleasant and responsive, but only after finishing most of an Indian parody of a White people's continental breakfast did we learn that we could eat a South Indian breakfast, which was good. Chai aficionados thought the chai was bad and coffee baristas thought the coffee only met North India coffee standards.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bangalore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed in room 105 for a weekend. The room had no views at all and very small for the price they quote. The food is exorbitantly charged but does not taste well. We ordered for plain rotis but they gave tandoori rotis even though we particularly checked many times before placing the orders. In the morning they said they have complimentary breakfast but when we were checking out they charged for it completely denying what they said earlier. They hotel staff even lies about small things like auto charges if asked for help.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel unless you are interested to be cheated
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jhinuk

Travellers are raving about these Mysuru (Mysore) hotels

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

We checked into room number 208 where there was no central ac and the split ac was not working and it was leaking.

In the same room hot water was not available till 7am and the fan too was not working. None of the power plug points were working. We litteraly had to sleep having suffocated. Too much horrible room maintenance.

We brought this to the attention of the receptionist but there was an arrogant reply that nothing can be done about this. We then informed India Tourism Development Corpration who had arranged this hotel for us and after that the service and politeness of the staff improved.

Same thing was with room number 408, so called 'premium suit'. In this the shower was not working and one of the plug points was damaged.

I would personally advice you to put BAN on this hotel. I would also share the terrible video of this hotel if there was an option to upload.

Room Tip: Rooms have one or the other maintenance issues.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Niranjan_M_Wagh
Hyderabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

I made the mistake of booking a room on the net; they charged me for a Luxury room, but gave me an Executive room. They also sell their rooms claiming a beautiful view of Mysore Palace, but the building is not tall (with the view obstructed by the trees) and it is just not possible to have the views they show in the pictures on their website. Their location is also not as convenient as they make it seem - the entry gate to the Mysore Palace is actually at the diametrically opposite end grounds, and you have to take an auto-rickshaw anyway. The restaurant was just about okay and the rooms were reasonably clean.

Room Tip: If at all you decide to stay here, be very careful about what room you pay for and what they charge...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank arigho57
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel on two occasions. The first time I booked through a well-known website, and was given a room that was very decent (which may have been one of their best rooms). I travelled though Mysore again and stayed for another time, though was given one of their regular rooms, which was really quite awful. Hygiene is very poor - for instance, when I got to my room, the service stuff just took the glass that was already there and put it in the plastic that's supposed to mean it's been cleaned. There were also some (dead) insects, etc. The breakfast is to be avoided. The stuff at the reception is unprofessional. For instance, they didn't forward a very important message that was left for me. In case you end up staying in this hotel, the only relatively nice thing is its roof terrasse (though I had a drink there, and wouldn't be able to say anything about the quality of food).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank IsidoraS
Faridabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Its an average hotel with more than average rates. So I will suggest travellers to look for other better options rather than going for Viceroy.

Issues -

1. You might not get hot water at all . Taps are jammed so might not able to use it properly.
2. Hotel has a restra, however the service is pathetic..I got a absolute shock of my life.. to see how blatant they were to refuse us chapatis, .. while we were half into our main course. It happen not only with us but with other guests as well.
3.Its overpriced.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dearindia
Bengaluru, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

we booked a room for one night for 14th august 2011 through make my trip. first of all it is located on small street and along with there own marriagehall .(choultry). we called them at afternoon and confirm them that we will check in at night 8.30. at time of check in they told us that there is no room available in hotel so we can provide you a alternative arrangement in the nearby marriage hall . only thing we dont have tv and phone and this room and you have to stay as a couple alone in a room which is in marriage hall.when we asked how can you ask us to stay in marriage hall they replied this is only available room. they were not ready to give in writing also that they are not offering us a room in hotel because it is booked. it was a big holiday time so no room was available. even when we spoke to make my trip only thing they were to do for us is cancellation at night 10 o clock. whole process took one and half hour. no one was there to response. infact i told them i have to search new accomdation please write me you dont have room and my booking is cancelled so atleast i can claim my refund from make my trip. but the great staff wasted my time by saying we are trying to contact owner of hotel. as we dont have authority.great climax one girl and his mom arrived at 9 .45 to check in and those two women also got same reply. they had also booked through make my trip and even they were horrified at last i found a accomdation in hotel fortune palace but regret my decision of booking place in this kind of horrible location. beep beep beep beep .and we drop that girl and his mom to auto stand so then can find another accomdation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple