I was staying in Mumbai for a couple of days before heading off to Aurangabad (for Ajanta and Ellora - highly recommended!), then coming back to Mumbai again, so decided to stay here. I stayed in Colaba when I got back, but I'm glad I stayed in a different area - it felt like a completely different Mumbai!
The area around Juhu is certainly far less touristy than Colaba, but there's still plenty of things around to fill up the day. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to Juhu beach where there are a plethora of street stalls selling excellent Mumbai street food - definitely try the pay bhaji here and the desserts! The hotel is also a short tuk tuk ride from Bandra, which has some great shopping, for much cheaper than you'd find around Colaba. Lucky's Hotel is also in Bandra, which is apparently famous for biryani (Sachin Tendulkar's favourite, supposedly) There are also some of the huge suburban malls a tuk tuk/taxi ride away, if you're into that sort of thing.
The hotel itself is priced well by Mumbai standards. Free airport pickup is included so you don't need to deal with the chaotic airport taxis. The rooms are somewhat basic but clean, and the shower had good pressure. Drinking water is supplied but I bought bottled water to be on the safe side (it's incredibly cheap).
One staff member was pushy fishing for tips which was a bit annoying. I insisted upon taking my bags up to my room myself as I didn't have any change to give tips (and I'm perfectly capable of working an elevator), but this guy was relentless despite me telling him repeatedly that I couldn't give him a tip. When he got to the room - guess what, he wouldn't leave. He even said "I can give you change"… I told him to go away and he did. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful though, and always served with a smile.
I didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner or lunch but the free breakfast was very good, with mostly Indian dishes which I was happy with - I'm travelling to India so I want to eat Indian food! :)
Oh - I was also confused as to whether or not this place had anything to do with the "Best Western Emerald" that was floating around. The stationery included in the room confirmed that it used to be part of the Best Western chain, but no longer is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Emerald - Hotel & Executive Apartments has elegantly furnished Superior, Deluxe rooms as well as fully Studio / One / Two Bedroom furnished apartments to offer its guests. It is close to the airports as well the commercial areas of Bombay including the NSE and MMRDA Exhibition Grounds. Juhu Beach is located across the road from the hotel. The Hotel is located in the famous Juhu area which is the happening place of Bombay. The Hotel offers all the standard facilities and amenities to its Guests from the Corporate as well as Leisure segments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cancelon, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Emerald - Hotel And Executive Apartments
- Hotel Best Western Mumbai
- Best Western Emerald Mumbai
- Best Western Hotel Mumbai
- Mumbai Best Western