“Too Old, too noisy, too congested”

The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments
Ranked #119 of 489 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 18 March 2010

This place is too old to be considered anywhere in the 3* or 4* category. Lobbies, aisles, lifts, stairways etc are all so narrow & congested. The restaurant is too small, barely enough for one fourth of the guests in the hotel. The garden sit-out restaurant is bang next to the busy Juhu Tara road and you would be shouting your lungs out if you really wanted to speak to someone sitting opposite to you at the same table ;-) Not to mention the soot from the passing vehicles forming an additional layer over your sandwiches!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
chetanmehta, Public Relations Manager at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2010

Dear Sir / Madam,

We have gone through the Review and though we wish to offer the following Explanations from the Management point of view with respect to the Comments of the Guest:

The Hotel has 2 Elevators of 8 Pax each and they are quite appropriate for a Hotel of our size.

The Stair ways is for Emergency only and the same as per the local laws applicable in Bombay.

The lobby of the Hotel is Compact and Contemprary and designed keeping in mind the number of Rooms of the Hotel.

There are 2 Sit outs one facing the main Road and the second behind the Main Hotel building. The Guests are always welcome to sit in the Second Garden sit out behind the main building and which does not in any face the Main Road.

We do take this opportunity to thank the Guest for sharing their observations with us as we believe that it helps to continuously improve the Standards and Facilities.

Thank you.

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Stayed in this hotels for 3 nights, the experience was very disappointing.

There is nothing good about this hotel to be shared, however with lots of bad experience to remind all travellers here to avoid staying in this hotel.

Our stuff was searched and looked by the house keeping staff as we discovered our luggages were moved and some bags were opened. Though reported to the management, we were taken lightly and no follow up action or investigation was done for us with only one time inspection to our room.

Another bad experience is the house keeping staff kept coming to our room without a reason though we didn't called them for anything, some were asked us to put up the sign of "Do not disturb" if we don't the staff to come. It is obviosuly ridiculous of them to knock at our door almost every 5 minutes.

The worst is that the management didn't admit any mistakes and kept arguing with you. They even told us direclty that they don't bother and care whether we stay in the hotel.

The best advice is don't ever book this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

We thank the Guest for sharing his Experience with us and would also like to offer our Sincere Apologizes for the Inconvenience faced by them during their Stay with us.

We have tried to understand the Problem encountered by the Guests and wish to clarify as under.

The Guest was allotted a different Room at the time of Check In and was informed at the time of Check In that he would be shifted the next day. Unfortunately the Guest had moved out of the Hotel and did not return till late. The Room Originally allotted to them was actually Booked for a different Guest.

The Hotel took the decision to shift the guest belongings to a different room. This was done under the Supervision of the Chief of Security and 2 Managers of the Hotel.

The Guest has informed that they were disturbed by the House keeping Staff, but the House Keeping Staff had to service the Room in the Morning and once the Guest objected to the same, we advised the Guest to put up a DND so that they are not disturbed, which is a Standard Practice in all Hotels.

We hope we have clarified the same and wish to assure our Guests that their Comfort during their Stay with us is our Prime objective.

Thank you.

Reviewed 7 February 2010

Booked this Hotel as we had quite a few hours between flying to Mumbai from Goa and our connecting flight from Mumbai back to UK. On arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded (complimantary) to a one bedroom apartment which was very nice and extremely spacious it was just a shame that we only had a few hours here. The hotel had a very nice coffee shop and restaurant in which we had a very nice meal in, at a very reasonable cost. Location is just a very short walk from Juhu beach, which in our opinion was not very nice at all and if you are thinking of visiting Mumbai as a tourist and seeing the Gateway to India, Victoria Terminus, Taj Hotel etc this is not the Hotel to stay in as these attractions are about a hour taxi ride away, but if its near the airport you need to be and don't want to pay the top prices of the big hotel chains the Emerald is a ideal choice

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel because it is on the airmiles website. I got there early and so my room was not ready. When I eventully got into my booked room well!!!!! TNot worth value for money. Also There was drilling all day long and then the smell of solvent was coming through into the room giving me a headache. I then I asked for a change which I got! However in this room the air conditioning did not work properly and the room was not that great either. The room was much smaller pen marks and dirt around the light switch. The service was not excellent at breakfast-very unproffessional they all were tooo busy watching tv or standing around gossiping. Breakfast was rushed by them as well!

I then changed to Hotel Sahil in Bombay central which was much better.

Only plus point was that I was on my own and it did feel safe.

Go through this website make my trip.com. You will get hotels at dicounted rates then going direct to the hotels or other websites- good prices.!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2010

This is not a great hotel, but is not a bad one either. Service was good in general, and my room (a "one-bedroom apartment") was spacious and exactly as I expected. It is not a Marriott or Hilton, and neither is the price.

I arranged airport pick-up with them, and my flight was late and in the middle of the night...they were right there when i got out of immigration, and was greated by a full staff when we arrived at 2:30am!

Breakfast is included, and is fair (instant coffee....they should really have a coffee maker!). I did have one room-service meal, which was great. Internet connectivity in room is by cable, and worked but was not very fast. The airport is not far away, and if you are a very light sleeper than you might hear planes coming and going .... this was not an issue for me.

Note that this place is not close to downtown Mumbai. My business was north of Mumbai so the location was great, but if you are travelling for sightseeing the city this area may not be for you.

If you have travelled places like India, China, etc. and are not upset whenever something isn't perfect, this may be a very good, economical hotel.

[Note - they no longer have an affiliation with Best Western]

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I have never been so mortified - how dishonest can a hotel be when self-rating?

The Emerald is part of the Best Western chain, and has self-rated itself as 4stars!!!
The 4 star treatment stopped immediately after we received the "thank you for your booking" email. In fact, when I replied to the email with some feedback, noone contacted me.

Thankfully, we only stayed for 1 night.
Our room was very run down, all the furniture was chipped and damaged and very dusty/oily/sticky.

There were stains on all the sheets and pillowcases. It was really disgusting. We asked a staff member to find us clean sheets and it took a very long time b/c everything was stained.
The staff member then wouldnt leave b/c he expected a tip, which we refused to give.

Our bathroom was really dirty. There was someone else's hair in the sink, the bin was full and the toilet was dirty.

The kitchen was absolutely awful. The cabinet doors were not connected and fell off on my foot. The fridge had a terrible smell. The sink was stained and chipped.

The complimentary breakfast was pretty average with instant coffee and burnt toast.

A huge disappointment.
How can this hotel be self assessed as 4 stars? it must be a joke?
I have wondered whether the Best Western head office know how bad that room is?
We had trusted the brand name!

This booking was made through Wotif, so I will be sure to let them know that this hotel completely misrepresents their quality/value.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rubylite
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Nice hotel. Stayed there 26 to 30 December 2009. Had booked a 2 bedroom apartment (the Jaipuri). On arrival was told at the reception (Prashant) that the AC was not working in this room so I was put into another room for one night. Once checked in, I asked the bell boys where the Jaipuri room was and they pointed it out. I asked them whether it was empty and they told me that it was occupied by a Mr Shah. I doubled checked this with 2 other workers and then went to the reception and asked them that I would like to move to that room even if the AC was not working. I was told that the maintenance manager was not there and to come back after half an hour. When I went back I was told that the maintenance manager had left and there was no access. The doors open via cards that are coded at the desk but they would not listen and told lie after lie. During dinner that night I befriended one of the waiters and told him what had happened and his response was that this is a common occurrence at the Emerald. Later he even brought me a printout to show the room was occupied and who was in it.

I would be very reluctant to book into this hotel again. While the hotel is good, the constant lies and betrayal is unacceptable.

Lalit