I've stayed at both the Oberoi and the Taj Mahal - the Oberoi is definitely the classier choice - impeccable service, 5 star with no limits - but the hotel has little Indian flavor to it, it could be located in any major city in the world. Guests who stay here are typically business people or wealthy Indian families. The only disappointment was the internet: My reservation said "room with wifi access" - which means exactly that: you can access the wifi, but not the internet (!!) unless you pay extra. For a 5* hotel, mentioning that the room has wifi access is like mentioning it has running water...
The Taj has the historic side to it, service is also great, but when you enter the reception area it quickly becomes clear that this is where foreign tourists flock to - colorful t-shirts, shorts, sunglasses, sandals... and at the reception they hang a chain of flowers around your neck. Excellent location of course right next to the Gateway to India.
BTW: If you do chose to stay at the Taj, I would recommend staying in the Palace rather than the tower. Both are 5 stars, but the tower was only built a few decades ago, while the Palace is the century old palace you always see on pictures.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1903, The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai is India's first luxury hotel. Offering panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and the Gateway of India, the hotel is a city landmark. The hotel offers 543 rooms including 54 suites, each adorned with original paintings and period furniture that exude an aura of old-world charm and elegance. The restaurants at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai offer distinctive dining experiences that cover the finest Indian and international cuisines - from casual, all-day eateries to Oriental, Japanese, Indian and Mediterranean fine dining. The hotel also houses the first licensed bar of Mumbai and also a beautiful sea-front restaurant for hi-tea and live music. Palace Services in the Palace Wing of the hotel add to the experience, where the butler plays the all important role of guide and assistant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, DerbySoftTaj, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Taj Mahal Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Mahal Palace Hotel Mumbai (Bombay)
- Hotel Taj Mahal Palace
- Taj Hotels
- The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel
- Taj Palace Hotel
- The Taj Mahal Hotel
- The Taj Hotel