“Good Location, Nice Hotel, Good Business Use”
Review of The Shalimar Hotel

The Shalimar Hotel
Ranked #55 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Would definately happily stay here again on my next business trip. The bed was very comfortable. The working area was adequate. The bathroom was spacious. Lots of amenities. Breakfast was OK and restaurant fine. Large selection of veg/non veg and India/Western foods on the menu and for the room service. So, the hotel is nice, and it is great to be able to go out the door and be within walking distance of many shops/interests. Enjoyed my stay. Staff definately expects tips!

Room Tip: Mumbai is very quiet at night, but noisy during the day. If you need quiet I would definately ask fo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nina M
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear PumpkinPatch313

We thank you for providing a feedback of your stay with us.

We believe that guest comments and opinions go a long way in helping us constantly improve and upgrade our services and facilities. We have been rewarded by the recognition you have given us by these positive words.

We look forward to your continued patronage and support.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed at the shalier hotel with my kids in December. I will break it down by the positives and negatives.

Positives:
1. Location is excellent. Very close to great parks and central Mumbai.
2. Very clean property which is tough to find in India.
3. Excellent rooms and bathrooms. We stayed twice at property and I would have to say that the lifestyle suites are well worth it. Beautiful room.
4. Excellent hotel staff, 5 star service. It is true that staff expect tips. I would suggest that management raise wages and make a no tipping policy. This will greatly enhance guest experience.
5. Food is nice for breakfast.
6. Hotel manager is fabulous. I wrote many requests prior to my arrival and all were met. He is very responsive.
7. Great cake shop

Negatives:
1. If your room is not nonsmoking, has a smoke smell. They tried to remove smell as I have kids, this dis help some but not completely.
2. Spa services are very inadequate for four star property. My wife had pedicure and thought
the salon was a little dirty. This was very surprising at an otherwise very clean property.
3. Service in hotel restaurant is very slow. They have plenty of staff, but at times are just standing. Once when the toaster was broken, I had to wait 25 min for toast.

Even with a few negatives, the positives win out and this is a fabulous property. I travel a good bit in India, and my experience was better here than even at some 5 star properties like the Taj. I will definitely stay here again in Mumbai. With a few changes the hotel can be 5 star.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Texantraveladdict
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Dear Texantraveladdict

We thank you for such a detailed feedback on your stay with us.

We have made note of all your observations and will definitely work towards improving on those areas. We have been constantly renovating and upgrading our facilities and I am sure things would keep getting better and better. We put in all efforts to ensure that every guest who stays with us, moves on with a positive thought and to get recognized for the same is indication enough that we are successful in our efforts.

We have always believed that our staff are our biggest asset and the reason behind our success. Your feedback would be an additional boost to their morale.

We look forward to welcoming you on your future visit to the city.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I spent 6 nights during the busy pre-Christmas period (16th-21st December) at The Shalimar Hotel. That's the beginning of the most expensive period in Mumbai for hotel bookings up to the end of the first week in January. We had the cheapest room in their range and the room was more than adequate. Everything was very clean and we were both very happy there for the duration of our stay. We even had bathroom scales - which, after the amount of food I ate, I never used! We arrived extremely late - around midnight, but our arrival was expected and we received a very warm welcome from Mr. Darshil Patel, Front Office Supervisor. All the staff were extremely polite and helpful. Even Rose, the Housekeeper, recommended shops where I could buy Indian clothes. The only negative note was the banging of the workmen who were and still are working on the hotel during the day. As we went out sightseeing after breakfast and only came back for a shower and a short break in the afternoon, it did not impede on our stay. The work only starts from about 9am till late afternoon. We had a faulty light outside our room, which (when working) showed whether we wished for the room to be made up or not and, on reporting this, it was fixed on our return the same day. Breakfast was lovely. We ate the fruit with no hesitation (we are English and were keen to keep our tummies in good order lol) and the omelettes and dosas were delicious. Anyone who complains about having to wait for food and drink is obviously neither in the holiday mood nor understanding the Indian way of life. We were always happy with the speed of service, but a gentle reminder would always have speeded things along.

We visited the bar on two occasions late at night and the service was great. Obviously the prices are hotel prices and if you don't like what they charge, then you shouldn't go there. It's the same with the bottles of water, which some reviews mention. We never drank the tap water - I'm sure it was fine, but we didn't want to take the smallest risk - so we just bought bottled water and brought it into the hotel. A small bottle costs only about 13p!! We also took advantage of the Minibar, which on our arrival was a Godsend. As to the location - the most important thing when you are a tourist in Mumbai - it was excellent. We used to go outside the hotel and for 100 Rupees (£1.25p), plus a large tip (as we felt they well and truly earnt their money!), we rode to Colaba. I just kept my eyes shut whilst in the taxis - the rides were incredible. We had a great time and even took the ferry over to Elefanta Island. BTW we had a great meal there - very reasonably priced, especially as the beer prices are not governed by Mumbai taxes. Nearer to the hotel is the Golden Crown - about max. 15 mins walk - go under the flyover and straight on - it's on your right with the park to the left of it. Don't go into the downstairs restaurant (that's where they'll try to get you to go - that's the expensive part, which is less frequented), but go upstairs via the outside staircase and you will have a lovely meal - Indian and Chinese menu available. The service and food are great.

We think The Shalimar is a good bet for the price, location, service and facilities.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear miltonkeynesjill

We thank you for the detailed feedback on your stay with us. You have not only covered our services in minute detail, but also the sight-seeing spots in the city.

Each word is for us a moment of encouragement, and it will go a long way in boosting the morale of my entire team. We are happy that we could generate such fond memories in your minds.

Thank you for recognizing and appreciating our efforts in giving the best of Shalimar to every guest of ours.

We look forward to your continued patronage and support.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

The shalimar hotel is beautifully situated in the core of the city , i always prefer taj mahal palace for my stay , this time selected Shalimar , the experience was execellent ,
Value for money

Good work done , Shalimar great work

Coming soon to have a beautiful stay

Room Tip: just go for it one of the best hotels
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nick s
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Dear nick s

We thank you for providing a feedback of your stay with us.

Such words of encouragement go a long way in boosting our morale and help us to continue offering the best of Shalimar to every guest.

We have made note of your probable visit to our hotel in future and we look forward to the same.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

As you first walk in to the rooms, you are welcomed by a strong musty stretch, the room has no ventilation, bathrooms have no exhaust fans, the windows don't open. Tiles in the bathrooms are cracked, carpet is dusty. They will charge you for everything, yes, that includes the usual complimentary bottle of water.
The breakfast, that is supposed to be open till 10 AM, reach at 9:15, and you will have to scrape the scaps from the buffet, to top it service sucks. The first day I had to wait 30 mins for just plain scrambled eggs. Had to ask waiters 3 times before I could get my 1st cup of coffee. Day-2, I was served coffee in a completely cracked cup, no not chipped, cracked from top to bottom.
The hotel itself is cramped, no place to swing a cat, dingy, the kind of place where people keep lingering till they are tipped.
I could confidently label this hotel, one of the worst I've ever had the misfortune to experience. Best avoided at all cost.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Bon007voyage
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear Bon007voyage

We thank you for putting up your opinion on your stay with us.

We are a hotel which has been in operation for the last 49 years to be precise and have survived only on the basis of guest opinion and feedback. We appreciate genuine feedback from guests, as that has helped us over the years to constantly improve our facilities and services. We do not, in all fairness, appreciate camouflaged feedback, which is put up with intent to damage our reputation as one of the best hotels in our category.

We do have a monthly inventory process, whereby all crockery and cutlery is checked and replaced, as required. So, in all likelihood, it is not possible for a cracked cup to be in service. However, it was just a case of human error and it was changed immediately with an extension of an apology. In fact, it was observed just as it was being served to you and it did not cause any kind of damage.

As per our record, you walked into the restaurant for your Breakfast at 09:55, in spite of being clearly informed at Check In that the buffet shuts at 10:00. We also have on record that you left the restaurant at 10:30 after finishing your Breakfast. The duration clearly indicates that the scrambled egg took the normal preparation time that it would take. Further, it was served to you after Breakfast timings. You were served eggs on the second day as well, within normal serving timings.

We are a small hotel and have made maximum usage of space in the best possible manner. And this has been appreciated by a lot of guests, as well. We are probably one of the few Four Star hotels in the city or maybe the country, who have a Pillow Menu in place for guest comfort, a 10-inch mattress with a topper in several rooms, Theme based Lifestyle Suites, a fully packed mini-bar amongst various services that we can boast of. We also have a very high regard towards guest safety and security, wherein for a hotel our size, we have all entry and exit points, besides all guest floors, public areas and back areas under CCTV surveillance. Most of the hotels do not permit windows to be opened from a guest safety point of view, which is the case with us, also. To call this hotel “dingy” is also an unacceptable statement, as our rooms confirm to Department of Tourism standards. The lobby and other public areas are bright and well lit and the photos on Trip Advisor are testimony to that.

Carpets are not only vacuumed daily, but every alternate day, a carpet freshner is sprinkled to enhance the freshness and feel of the carpet. We also have a rigorous preventive maintenance schedule in place and a cracked tile is not present in all probability.

Offering mineral water or any other service at no charge is entirely at the discretion of the hotel. We have not claimed on any site that we are offering any services FREE, unless it is specific packages on our website or other sites, where an inclusion is part of the room charge itself. Charges for all services are determined through surveys conducted by hotel professionals and are prominently displayed, wherever possible and required.

Our employees, who are our greatest asset go through regular training process and to make a statement that they are lingering around for a tip is uncalled for and absolutely untrue.

We also have on record that you were demanding an extended check out at 4 pm at no extra cost. This was refused as we were not in a position to extend the same, due to high occupancy. You were however, given an extension upto 1 pm, in spite of it causing certain amount of inconvenience to us, whereby we had to offer a complementary upgrade to an higher category of room to the guest who had been booked to arrive at 1:30 pm, for whom the room you were occupying was blocked. Your feedback appears more to be a vindictive reaction to this refusal than anything else. However, we apologize for any service flaw that you have claimed or may have faced during your stay with us.

Reviewed 21 December 2011

i thought i should specifically mention how good the staff were. I lost my bag due to airline issues and arrrived at midnight. They arranged for everything for me (as a lone woman traveller it gets difficult) and went out of their way to settle me in with amenities and extras. They did not even charge me for the midnight snack (since i was so flustered). The hotel is also very well designed and comfortable. Kudos to the management for such an outstanding proporty.

Room Tip: side facing
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank melissa s
TSHM, General Manager at The Shalimar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear melissa s

We thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.

We are pleased to note that you have had a very memorable stay and have appreciated the services of our associates. We have always believed that our greatest asset and the key to our success is our people. Your words are definitely a morale booster to our associates.

We look forward to your continued patronage.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Mumbai is a delicious city that is STARVED for lack of reasonably-priced solid-quality hotels. In Chennai, Bangalore, and Delhi, you can find clean, pleasant, and modern hotel rooms for less than £90 or 4000 Rps per night with excellent breakfast. Not in South Mumbai. All the hotels at this price that I can find, in walking distance from hip areas, are old and dusty, and you will need to check at least two rooms before finding one that matches its description. Service is lazy and bored. There are no recognizable international chains with international standards. I'd normally never stay in a Holiday Inn but would be thrilled to find one in Mumbai.

So the Shalimar is okay. The bathroom was clean, everything worked (except the drain in the shower, but there was a secondary drain in the floor so crisis was averted); the staff are polite but apathetic (they never stand up for anything nor do anything but charge for things); the breakfast was fair--coffee was awful, service polite but glacially slow, buffet as messy and not memorable and certainly not acceptable when compared to hotels at the same rate in other Indian cities.

I was annoyed by the extra charge for wifi (330 Rps per day). It's not much but it's not nice either. Choose this hotel over, say the Residency (in Fort) which is really horrible but the same price. I stayed in Room 208 which was fine. Single bed (weird), blinking light, hammering noise at 8 a.m. on Sunday (hey this is India: it's a Work In Progress), and silly charge of 220 Rps for a bottle of water.

Will stay here if I can't find anything better, but I will continue looking.

Room Tip: Before you travel to Mumbai, go to http://nytimes.com and input "Mumbai" into the Search w...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank anes1

Dear anes1

We thank you for providing a feedback of your stay with us.

From your profile, it is evident that you are a well travelled person. It is indeed surprising that room pricing in the city of Mumbai has been highlighted as an issue. Pricing is directly related to demand and supply and kindly note that the same rooms may be available in the Summer months on certain days at 20% lesser cost.

As a hotel, we value guest feedback the most, as it provides us with an insight into the expectations of a guest. We have succeeded in having a very high percentage of return guest with our focus on guest satisfaction and comfort. The observations that you have made regarding our services has been noted and we shall positively work on them. However, some of your points are quite unclear and generic in nature. We are not sure about your comment regarding our staff not standing up for anything, which does not provide us with any indication of what you are expecting from a staff. I would also take this opportunity to highlight that managers are available round the clock to assist with any guest, if so required.

For a hotel our size, we have managed our Breakfast quite efficiently, by providing a decent spread and offering additional hot foods, which can be prepared and served directly from the kitchen, as per guest requirement. This not only saves on usage of available space, but also allows us to serve hot food to a guest. These are all done, taking only guest satisfaction into mind.

We do have several categories of rooms with different types of bedding and requests for the same can be noted down for future or current visits, as per the guest preference. However, all room categories have different pricing for each of them. In addition, our website offers several rates, some of which includes other services as well. Wi-Fi is chargeable in most hotels and these prices have been determined after conducting proper survey through industry professionals. It is also observed that the rate offered to you was a discounted price, which was at our discretion. Evian water is an high cost item, but we also provide local mineral water, which is at a much lesser cost and these are all mentioned very clearly in our menu cards for a guest to decide his choice of food, beverage and other services.

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you during your stay. However, we are unable to make changes to our pricing policy, as it has been planned properly with timely reviews.

We look forward to your future visit, wherein we may be able to sit across and understand your specific requirements. My official email address is also mentioned on our website to allow a guest to directly communicate with me at any time.