Hotel New Bengal
The Resort(Mumbai)
US$119
US$99
Agoda.com
All reviewsdays staywalking distancelocation is excellentzaffroncstmtaxis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Nice clean hotel.Location was not that good.Far away from Juhu beach. Rates were ok.Bathrooms were clean.Hotel was large with 150 rooms.They food was fabulous and the restaurant staffs were friendly.Bathroom was not that big but clean. The restaurant area nicely decorated with a option of AC/Non AC .They hotel even provide single bed rooms with no attached bathrooms and a common bathrooms for student travelers ,etc(these single bed rooms without bathrooms also have a private television.None of the hotel rooms have a balcony.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KolkataDebasmita
Reviewed 12 February 2012

The only positve thing about Hotel New Bengal is the location close to CST. Other than that, it was way too expensive for the quality we got. The room, especially the bathroom was not clean, the whole Hotel and not well taken care off and even the dishes at the breakfast were dirty. Furthermore our room was super loud because it directly connected to the hallway. Don't go there unless you really have no alternative!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Henning L
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I was visiting from USA and Mumbai was in my connecting out back to Dallas. I reserved the hotal on Makemytrip.com (Makemytrip is a good with the exception they don't check hotel's rating before listing them) online. It all looked good online. I went to the lobby and asked them to show me the room that they would rent to me. They demanded deposits up front and I complied (paid in rupee). It was in May of 2008 (hot summer). A boy took me to a room and the room did not have AC (I verified). I came back to lobby and asked for another room. They took me another one but no AC either. Bed was smaller than my size. I could barely move in the room and the toilet (restroom) was so small to fit a normal tall but slim person. I came back to lobby and demanded my money back because I would not stay there. They did not give my money back. I left immediate and stayed in a nice hotel (Shahil in central Mumbai).

I would never suggest anyone speciall from west to ever venture in this hotel.

Room Tip: don't deposit any money up front, check the room first.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Had a horrific experience in the hotel. The rooms are just pigeon holes. Do not be fooled by the wonderful photos of hotel rooms in the internet. They are just deceiving photos. There are no windows in the rooms and the bed occupies the room. There is just no space to even sit in a decent way. When asked for the AC remote the house keeping staff informed me that I had to ask for the remote when the room was chilled (this may be 2 o'clock or 3 o'clock in the night also). The washroom is so cramped that you had to look into the wash basin mirror after closing the door. The TV remotes work as per their sweet will. The lift it seems has been gifted by the Britishers when they were leaving India. One plus point is the room service which is very efficient. Also the location is OK being just opposite the police commissioner office.

Room Tip: ask for a room in which there is a window
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sudipto S
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This was the first place I stayed in India... and it almost sent me running back to the UK. The rooms were dirty and overlooked a four lane, manically busy road. The beeping of car horns kept us up all night. The shower was essentially a rusty pipe that dribbled ice cold water out of the side of a dirty, cramped cubicle and the toilet wasn't much better. To top it all off... the walls of our room didn't actually reach the ceiling. There was a two foot gap at the top... particularly annoying when the room next door is inhabited by what I can only assume was a family of 25.

Expect to queue for the (only) bathroom behind a rag tag bunch of Indian businessmen... all hocking spit into the shower cubicle. A pleasant alarm clock.

It is very cheap for Mumbai... but you definitely get what you're paying for.

The man on reception was very nice and wi-fi was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple