“Mediocre” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Green South Hotel

Sea Green South Hotel
Ranked #134 of 432 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Bombay is expensive, the colaba area even more so. If you want a view of Marine drive this is a good option but I found the price steep for a budget traveler just looking to lay my head for the night.
Pro:
-elevator
-decent rooms\air con
-balcony

Con:
-like your parents th staff will knock and then just open your door. I'm from the west and this is a MASSIVE no no. Also more staff members than necessary are hanging around, two or three guys will ce to your door when you call for a towel or tea and they all expect tips... Unprofessional.
-high prices for wifi access

Get an auto to take you to the colaba market area, way cheaper accommodations there. Some with a view of the ocean.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StandingReservations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

noise: cars in the street, hotel staff (!) at the corridor, neighbour we shared the same bathroom
too much money for this much service
the carpet was like never changed for 55 years, in fact the whole place like in the colonial days
in the standard room there was no towel and soap so we had to upgrade for deluxe where we had at least that
in Europe you have 2 to 3 times better price value ratio in elsewhere Asia 3 to 6 times
we paid 6000 inr for the room (while every floor there was like 3 4 guys dong nothing, at other times at reception we counted as many as six people all administrating something

advice: there must be better deals and/or better hotels for this price

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank laszloKOCSA

Travellers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I asked for a river view but unfortunately they didn't have one when I checked in (although I had requested one a long time ago). My room was spacious and had a balcony that looked out over a stadium like structure and some buildings. Not an amazing view but not bad. The room was a bit old fashioned and typical of older Indian 'business style' hotels. The air conditioner was old, loud and blew ultra cold with no way I could figure out to turn it down. The bathroom in my room however had recently been renovated (I was in room 516).

Note that although the rooms have room safes, the safe located in mine was not bolted to anything (you could have walked out of the room with it). I kept some valuables in it but didn't feel comfortable leaving my passport there.

The location ended up being very convenient partly because of its proximity to the Churchgate Metro station (it is also within walking distance to several shopping areas). I found the Mumbai metro to be quick, clean and ultra cheap. I would either walk or take a cab from my destination station saving both money and time sitting in Mumbai traffic.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

We wanted a place to stay for our last night in Mumbai. Yes, I would have loved to spring for the Intercontinental, but that wasn't going to happen on our budget. So we chose the SGS.
The best part of the hotel is, of course, the location- it's right on Marine Drive with a great view of the sea. Easy to walk all over the area, and a safe place for a solo traveler.
The rooms are very spare, but clean. I understand that the place was built to house military officers, and it kind of has that feel- I loved that history of the place. You might just have to overlook the unattractive fluorescent lighting and the sparse decor. Absolutely nothing beautiful about the rooms, and the beds were pretty stiff... but the TV worked great and the bathroom was utterly spotless. We had a balcony which was really nice, and the AC was a good thing sometimes. The staff was incredibly helpful and rather sweet. I peeked in some other rooms and the 2-room suite was really cool, with wood panel doors separating the rooms and a killer view.
I loved all the places I stayed in Bombay. This was the roughest around the edges, but I liked it. Excellent choice for the money- Mumbai is crazy expensive for hotels, so this is a gem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the sea!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 25nojive
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights on the end of our trip in India - our arrival and thorough inspection of our tourist visas was a bit weird but the rooms are large and clean. Warning to couples, they do not have any rooms that have a double bed - they push two singles together. I agree with the staff constantly asking for tips, we got a random knock on the door one day for laundry which was not requested. The room was serviced every day though.
The location is great, we walked everywhere, including to Colabar everyday. There are enough places to eat breakfast and try Samrat on the next block for a neverending Thali.
Its a reasonable hotel in Mumbai for the cost.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank E P
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I wouldn't say that it is a great hotel... but it definitely boasts of the best location.
Walking distance from the Churchgate Rly. Terminus (the last stop of the Western/Central Line of the heartline of Mumbai)... and just overlooking the Marine Lines.
Easy to locate (right as the side of the Cricket Club of India's Gate/ Brabourne Stadium) and just at the starting of the Nariman Point region.

If you want the Best Mumbai Hotel on a shoestring budget, then go for it...

My clients liked it when I charged them less, but still was easy to reach ;)

There are good eateries close by, but truly speaking the room service food wasn't to great. (They cooked the breakfast in the pantry, and brought the other food from elsewhere)

The famous 'Pizza by the Bay' is just adjining the property.

Room Tip: Choose any road facing rooms.. there's hardly any traffic, and at all times you'd get to see...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DebashisM
Euless, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

My travleling companion has traveled many times to Mumbai and always stayed the the Sea Green South. Finally it was my turn to stay at the hotel she spoke of so highly. I had just arrived from Kolkata and was a bit exhausted. My companion had arrived before and was waiting in the lobby,
From the moment we checked in we were treated not just as paying guests but as friends. The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful.
We had both requested balconies and it was fun sitting on the balcony and watching the world go by. I don't remember seeing such high ceilings in a hotel room.
Ok, now for the negative comment. I would never begrudge anyone from making a living but the staff, as nice as can be, are constantly asking for tips. Even the elevator operator wanted tips. There would be a knock (or two) with a clerk asking if you need anything. It really was getting embarrasing. We decided to just leave tip money ion the beds to thank the staff for being helpful. That was my biggest issue with the hotel staff. It wasn't that they were lazy, far from it but it gets a bit tedious when your being asked for a tip for a simple task such as opening a door.
That being said, we loved the hotel, the location and we felt it as reasonably priced. We would definitley stay again shold the need arise.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends