“Challenging and fascinating”

Ranked #9 of 118 Tours in Mumbai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I couldn't have done this unless I'd found Mohammad in that he was bought up and lives in Dharavi.

The sights, smells and interactions during the tour are quite gripping and memorable... definitely the highlight of my 10 days in Mumbai.

An important note for me was the fact that during the tour Mohammad was greeted by many with humour and affection. That was unexpected and quite lovely.

If I am back in Mumbai again I will do the tour again. Simple as that.

1  Thank datapete
"recycling area"
"hard working"
"mind blowing experience"
in 2 reviews
"happy to answer any questions"
"eye opening experience"

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

I can’t reccomend this tour enough. Mohammad is knowledgable and friendly, and is obviously proud of Dharavi, having been born and brought up in the area. He disproves the myth that slums are all about poverty and misery, and instead shows you how industrious and busy Dharavi is- there are businesses and factories on every corner! We saw the recycling factories, many tailors, lunchbox delivery businesses, metal works, tanneries- everything. Your idea of a slum will be completely different once you’ve been on Mohammad’s tour. We’re not usually the kind of people who go on organised tours, but having read the reviews we thought this would be different- and we weren’t wrong! Mohammad met us at the train station and took us on a tour of Dharavi that lasted 2.5 hours. It honestly felt like we were wondering around with a friend, but a friend who could tell us all kinds of interesting facts and stories about Dharavi. I will recommend this tour to anyone visiting Mumbai. We’ve been in India for two months and this is without a doubt my favourite experience so far. Thanks Mohammad!

1  Thank Llio M
Reviewed March 26, 2018

As he is a resident of the Dharavi slums, he knows what it is like, knows a lot about the economic activity and challenges. He is a student and its very admirable how he has set up his business to support his tuition fees. We learned a lot, highly recommended. Keep going, very respectable and safe.

1  Thank Nicole F
Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

We booked 2 tours in advance with Mohammad based on trip advisor reviews. He has a brilliant story to tell and backs it up with a first class experience.

Day one was a tour of Dharavi, the largest slum in Mumbai. When you see the squalor and deprivation inside the slum you could be excused from thinking this place is awful. In reality it's a thriving hub of industrious individuals who embrace what they have or haven't got and make the best of it. I entered the slum with trepidation, I left with a big smile, positive opinion, total respect and fabulous memories of a wonderful place in its own kind of way. Mohammad was the perfect host and guide, his story is amazing and my advice is to book with him to find out for yourself.

Day two was a guided tour around some famous sights and landmarks in Mumbai. This was equally as interesting as Dharavi but very different. The British architecture, Indian customs and way of life, the friendly people we met, many of them wanting a photo of as they don't usually see white faces.

Mumbai has such contrasting scales of wealth, from a US$2 billion house to Dharavi but its a much nicer city than ND for me and we loved it. Mohammad was the perfect guide and integral to our appreciation of Mumbai

1  Thank ashdec
See more reviews
Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

Mohammad is a student and resident of Dharavi. So who is better qualified to give a tour than someone who lives and works there! This tour was informative and helped us see the positive side of a wonderful community. I was amazed by the industry there. Mohammad’s tour was extremely informative and he seems to really care about his community and those he gives tours to. He really wanted to make sure that we had a good understanding of what life in Dharavi is like. My favorite part of the tour was meeting all of the children who approached us and wanted to know our names. I would absolutely recommend this tour be at the top of your list of places to visit in Mumbai.

1  Thank bauhausluv