“The perfect escape”

Ranked #5 of 381 Hotels in Jaipur
Brussels, Belgium
“The perfect escape”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is the ultimate in luxury. From the perfect pimms cocktail to pancakes for breakfast on the relaxing outdoor terrace, or simply lying by the pool, this hotel offers the perfect escape. Yes its pricey, but well worth it. The bedroom and bathroom were also top class and super clean. The only spot of bother we had was trying to book an early check in. Their approach to this was rather sneaky i thought. We were set to arrive by train you see at 5 a.m. Arriving in at an ungodly hour is not uncommon when traveling on India's railway network. We called days ahead of course to see if upon arrival we could have our rooms early. They told us 10 a.m. would be the earliest they could hand over the rooms to us as they were 'very full'. Fair enough but low and behold when we arrived in the early morning hour, ours rooms were readily available to us but for a hefty charge of 50% on top of the one night. We took it- who wouldn't at that hour - and that's what they depend on i suppose. I suggest they take a more courteous approach and let guests know the real option in advance for consideration rather than being put on the spot at 5 a.m. The hotel looked less than full anyway we discovered too...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Amgbxl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Taj Rambagh Palace far surpasses any other hotel worldwide that we have ever stayed in - including the likes of the Waldorf Astoria in NYC, the Hay-Adams in Washington DC, the Jumeirah Beach in Dubai and the Four Seasons Hawaii. All were excellent hotels, and we had no complaints, but the service and experience at the Taj Rambagh Palace exceeded them all. The concierge made my daughter feel like royalty for the entire stay. When we mentioned that we were looking for a few items (Indian flag and Masala Dabba) she knew exactly where to direct us, in fact, she even got the flag for us as a gift. I wish that we could have stayed an entire week!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your very kind and thoughtful feedback.

Comments such as these always encourage us in enhancing our efforts to provide the best in hospitality and service.

It was indeed a pleasure having you at the Rambagh Palace and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Rambagh Palace is a fine example of successful transforming a royal hunting lodge to a classic modern hotel. What we liked the most is the overal ambience of the hotel which reminds us of the magnificant days of the Rajaputs. Everything was very grand - we thouroughly enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very grateful for your note complimenting the services and facilities of our hotel. Positive feedback from our guests is always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Rambagh Palace in the near future.

netherlands
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This tophotel is really a tophotel with very professional and kindly people. The food and the rooms are also from very good quality. We have had a excellent stay

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank miephansnetherlands
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this review, 27 March 2012

Chicago Journalist
Reviewed 25 March 2012

India is host to dozens of "palace hotels" - some grand, some dumpy, with all points in between, and each is imbued with its own unique history. But the top of the foodchain is and always has been the Rambagh. You can read up on the background to understand why this is such a particularly compelling environment: built as an early 19th-century hunting lodge for the Rajput royal family, it was eventually transformed into a luxurious residence when Jaipur's Maharaja Jai Singh married his beloved third wife, Gayatri Devi in the 1930's. This was their special retreat during the years they were toasted internationally as one of the world's most glamorous couples, and no doubt the walls have plenty of spicy stories to tell about the lavish parties, elegant guests and eye-popping events that transpired here over the years (some of the royal family continue to live in homes on the extensive palace grounds...) Thirty years ago when I first stayed at Rambagh it retained some of the original Art Deco-era interiors, and what it lacked then in service was amply made up for by atmosphere. At the time, the Maharani was still on the premises (her book, "A Princess Remembers", is still sold in the excellent bookstore on the first floor) and while Rambagh was incomparably lovely, it was fraying at the edges and, like most 100+ room homes, expensive to maintain. When the Taj hotel chain took it over some years ago, a top-to-bottom renovation insured that no room would be anything less than gorgeous, comfortable, and fully-functional. Today, peacocks still strut the lawns and the famous antique cars are still deployed out front: you do feel like a royal walking into this unusual property, and its very difficult to leave a place where every desire seems to be anticipated. If you don't stay here (yes, you pay through the nose, but you can see why you're paying for it!) at least go for tea on the lawn, or a drink at dusk, or for dinner in one of the three delicious restaurants - including "Steam", which is created from several old train cars. Ramagh has made it through the centuries, transofrming itself to fit each new era and each time, rising to the occasion.

Room Tip: The so-called "palace rooms" are more expensive but guarantee that you are staying in the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
ShreeLathaSajeev, Manager at Rambagh Palace, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Had the most incredible three days at the Rambagh Palace. The Golden Triangle area is filled with contrast - unimaginable luxury and poverty, so my husband and I were exhausted physically and mentally when we arrived in Jaipur. Entering the gates of the Rambagh Palace was like entering the gates of heaven. Everything about this place is magical - the staff are warm, friendly and helpful; the room was gorgeous and very comfortable; the grounds are stunning; the gym/spa was serene; and the chef makes the most incredible food from all the regions of India. You'll need three days here to fully appreciate the majesty of the Rambagh. I recommend the horse-drawn carriage ride around the property. I also highly recommend getting to know the restaurant staff as they went far out of their way to prepare meals for us and make our stay special.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenntabb

Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I traveled to this hotel on my first trip to India--for my birthday.

The staff is beyodn attentive. I stepped off the plane in Jaipur and was greeted by a hotel butler who escorted me to my car where a hotel footman and driver, both in impeccable uniforms, in a Jaguar sedan drove me to the hotel. On the way there I explained that the airline has lost my luggage and that it wouldn't arrive for several days--they took me shopping to several malls in the area. The hotel's rep took me from shop to shop.

After three hours of shopping we went to the hotel where I was literally showered in flower petals from above and immediately escorted to my room. Check-in wasn't done in the lobby, it was done in the room. This is just the start... The room itself was glorious and has museum-quality furniture and antiques.

If there is one word to describe this hotel it is: SERVICE. Not to mention luxury, safety, elegance, exclusivity. I cannot list enough adjectives of superlatives to describe this place. Beyond the rooms, which are outlandish yet tasteful, the rest of this real-life palace is simply superb. The grounds are perfectly manicured and the spa area is out of a Hollywood movie set.

I had a yoga instructor, personal masseur, several butlers and footmen at my disposal, a hotel palm-reader, driver, the list of staff is endless... every member of the hotel staff greeted me by last name and asked with a genuine smile how I was doing and immediately addressed any concern I would have.

I'm telling you: if you have not lived like a Maharajah and been treated like a Prince then please do yourself the favor of shelling out the $700 I did per night and you will realize you won't even want to leave the hotel grounds. You will never forget it.

The food is adequate. They have three restaurants and I stuck to Indian food which was fine. Not a michelin-star restaurant but compared to fare nearby or at fancy restaurants I find India in general to be somewhat wanting.

I will definitely be going back to this Palace and next time I want to bring 8 members of my family so that they can experience the magic of living like an Indian nobleman.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo