“Generals Retreat”

Ranked #59 of 492 Jaipur B&B and Inns
Islamabad, Pakistan
“Generals Retreat”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our daughter, who had stayed there earlier on the recommendation of an Indian friend, was keen that we stay at Generals Retreat on our visit to Jaipur. It reminded her of our old family home in Lahore. We found the place comfortable, and the owners extremely helpful, warm and welcoming- an extended family. Centrally located,the prices are reasonable,the meals well-planned and delicious.It was particularly special for us as visiting Pakistanis because it gave us an opportunity for interaction/ exposure to a lovely Indian family which we would never get if we had stayed at a regular hotel! We have come back with a host of memories.. so thank you Generals retreat!
Perveen & Dr. Shaukat Malik, Islamabad, Pakistan

Room Tip: We had a nice large room at the back away from the traffic hustle and bustle.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank perveen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I spent two nights at The General's Retreat in February. Though perhaps ten minutes by car from the walled city of Jaipur, it is a very pleasant place to stay and worth finding. My room was large, clean, and comfortable, as was the bathroom. The staff were warm and welcoming. When my laptop could not pick up a wireless connection in my room, they let me use the office computer to check and send emails, at no charge. Two vegetarian dinners and two breakfasts were excellent and very reasonably priced (breakfast is included with the room). I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Merlin0921
New Delhi
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at this guest house on 10th and 11th of March 2012. Had done the booking a week earlier and had got a promot email confirmation regarding the same.

I had reached on 10th March at about 10:30am. Ketki, the Owner welcomed me into their guest house. She was very warm and hospitable. I was alloted room number 2 on the 1st floor. I understand that there are around 10 rooms in the guest house with about 4-5 rooms on the 1st floor.

My room was very well lit with bright sunlight coming through semi-transparent curtains. And it looked even better with bright colored room upholstrey (including a silk bed cover). The room had a 21inch TV with DTH, cushioned chairs, big mirrors, cupboard and a safe deposit box. It was well decorated with pictures and paintings. The bathroom was clean, but could have been more cleaner. It was just about ok sized. On the 1st day afternoon, the bathroom started smelling badly. I had to keep the door closed all the time. Had informed the attendant (Darshan) at night, he did something next day morning to get rid of the smell, but it was back again on 2nd day afternoon. I did not bother much about changing rooms since I was spending most of my time outside attending marriages. Ketki - if you are reading this, please do something about the bathroom.

You may note that the other rooms on the 1st floor are much bigger, and has even bigger bathrooms. I did check them out while being cleaned, and they seemed really nice.

The sit out area on the 1st floor is beautiful. With pootted plants all around, the lawn in front, and trees, it was as if I was living with nature. The lawn in front was a beautiful place to sit and relax.

I am not sure about the food as I did not have it. Am sure it would be homely.

The Owner is very nice. She suggested some good places to eat out in Jaipur. They have two dogs and a cute looking cat. They play in the lawn most of the time. The Owner lives on the ground floor. Overall, its completely separate from the Owner's area.

The guest house has ample parking space. No issues in drving down.

Overall, I loved staying at this place. Why pay more and stay in some hotel which does not have personalised service. This place is warm, comfortable, well priced and centrally located. I will highly recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor room, other than Room No. 2. Though not sure about the room along side the sitout a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
new delhi
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The generals home is definitly a good place for any kind of retreat. We had a wonderfull time there with a large family... and all really enjoyed it. From the early morning welcoming to the assistancewhen needed and on the top the healthy and tasty food.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We had two comfortable happy nights at this clean family-run hotel. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Unfortunately on arrival at the train station we were not picked up as arranged despite confirmation by email. We ended up having to come by taxi and a room was not available. They said they'd lost all their emails recently so were not expecting us? They did however manage to accommodate us later in the day but we had to change room the following day to a much nicer one upstairs.
When we moved in, the room was quite cold and dark, but a heater was brought with some extra blankets. There was a wedding in town that day and this hotel is next door to the wedding garden. The noise was extremely loud but we actually managed to sleep through it as we were both quite unwell on the day we arrived.
They allowed us to have breakfast included as they had inconvenienced us.
On the whole we enjoyed our 2 nights at the General's Retreat. The family who run the hotel are really nice and we often saw them out front with their lovely dogs & sweet old blind cat. They spoke English very well and they were very helpful. They made us feel very welcome.
The lawn out front was a lovely place to sit under umbrellas. All very pleasant really.
The food was OK but I was surprised by the very sorry state of the waiter's uniforms. As we were always very concerned about hygiene in India these kind of things ring alarm bells.
I would however recommend the General's retreat for the friendly staff and relaxed and homely atmosphere.

Room Tip: We preferred the room upstairs - there is a nice balcony in front of the dining room on same floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Within the mayhem of my first few days on my first trip to India The Generals Retreat was a fantastic place to settle into India safely and comfortably. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay very much and this little retreat definitely made Jaipur even more magical. A short walk to MI road this hotel is in a perfect location with a large garden to relax in after a big day out and about. We spent 5 nights here and would definitely return. The family who runs the retreat are professional and warm catering to your needs. The homely touches in the rooms made it a very special and beautiful place to stay. Absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: The Room adjacent to the dining room was lovely with your own easy access to the veranda however it...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple