“Great service at a great location.”
Review of Swissotel Kolkata

Swissotel Kolkata
Ranked #9 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Antwerp, Belgium
“Great service at a great location.”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed at the swissotel for 4nights in november. It was my first time to Kolkata, and I'm glad to say that I was happy with the hotel choice I made, which was inspired on the other reviews here. Some things were flawed, but in general the stay was excellent and any feedback on their services appreciated.

The bad:
- Jacuzzi room had non-working jacuzzi. After complaining a few times, the tech guys insisted it was fine but noone could get it to work. Management then gave me a surprise where i had access to another jacuzzi, with some wine and flowers- perfect for a nice evening.
- Check out forgot to bill us for the ride to the airport, then called the driver to come back while on the way to airport..
- Helpfulness of staff at travel desk and front desk could be improved
- Rooms are pretty small, but having a nice terrace makes up for that
- Menu in the restaurant is a mystery, there waitress suggests things not in there and when you ask for things in there, they're not available.

The good:
Smooth check in, very polite staff. Very nice hotel, although not very showy on the outside.
This is because it's part of a mall, which is a huge bonus: supermarket, pizza hut, McD, local cuisine and some entertainment for when it rains: its all right there without moving from walking distance of your room. The hotel lets out airconditioned vehicles with driver, per 3 hours. Rooms are tidy, although it wouldve been nice to have a tub. The shower is still nice however. I had access to the business lounge for breakfast. Although quite small, you can sit outside there. Breakfast selection was not that good for me, but you don't come to India to eat your local food anyhow.
I'm sure that some of the best hotels in the center of Kolkata could be deserving of their praise, but I was satisfied with what the Swissotel had to offer, and I'd recommend family to go there, especially when they're just there for a few days. It's not really a hotel for a long vacation, nor for couples with kids, but everyone else will love it. While some say it's far out of the way of the center, I went to a lot of places without much trouble with the driver, and Kolkata traffic is always exciting (or scary).
I'll definately go there again whenever I need to pass through Kolkata.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty similar and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Marco S, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this review, 3 May 2013

Warm Greetings from Swissotel Kolkata.

Thank you for sharing your kind words about your experience at our Hotel. It gives us great satisfaction to know that your stay has been one of absolute pleasurable. From our end we consistently endeavor to provide you excellent quality, genuine hospitality, and intuitive reliability in each aspect and contribute to make your stay with us gratifying.

We assure you that on your next visit with us, you will find the accommodation even more comfortable and services, a more elaborate blend of the finest of hospitality in the two great cultures of Bengal and Swiss. We look forward to a long lasting rewarding relationship with you and to serving you again. Owning guest loyalty through their experience is of utmost importance to us.

Once again we would like to express our gratitude for the encouraging and glowing comments. The support we receive is highly appreciated and we look forward to your support always.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

When I returned to stay at the Swissotel Kolkata - after a wonderful but windy time in Patagonia a few weeks back - it was a such a great feeling to be recognised and welcomed - and to be made to feel so special! It was like returning home. A great feeling!

Room Tip: I was happy with the room I had - I am not sure what other options there were.

Warm Greetings from Swissotel Kolkata.

Thank you for sharing your kind words about your experience at our Hotel. It gives us great satisfaction to know that your stay has been one of absolute pleasurable. Home away from home. From our end we consistently endeavor to provide you excellent quality, genuine hospitality, and intuitive reliability in each aspect and contribute to make your stay with us gratifying.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Recently I had an opportunity to stay at Swissotel Kolkata. The Hotel is within Citi centre 2, its a great place to stay, just about 15 min from the Airport. The Hotel is undoubtedly very good, the rooms are spacious, good wifi inside the rooms and the food is good. The best part is its located in a Mall, so one can have great time shopping and if you wish to eat different cuisines, you have variety of options available in the Mall.

Room Tip: If you wish you stay close to the Airport, its the best option available.
1 Thank Ajayprawat

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel, six months apart. It was a wonderful experience! These guys really know how to host a guest.

My room was superb. The bed so comfortable. The housekeeping excellent. The staff are ALL happy, friendly, and so obliging. They eagerly serve, and they ask for your feedback and enthusiastically write down what you say in a little notebook they carry in their pockets. Yet they are not intrusive or in your way.

The food quality and variety in the Swiss Cafe is first class. The head chef, Nitin, is fantastic and has a wonderful servant attitude. After two days he came to my table and said, "I see you're staying for some time (was he told which guests are in for say 3+ days or how did he know?) so if you want something that's not on the menu, please just tell me and I would love to prepare it for you." He was right. Hotel menus do get tired very quickly, so the next evening I asked for one of my favourite meals and he delivered a superb dish! Then on the 4th day, when I told him how much I'd appreciated his talent and service and that I was leaving the next day, he said there would be a personal gift from him waiting for me at breakfast. Sure enough, there was a lovely little gift box with handmade chocolates, with my name on it.

The conference venue and staff were excellent too and couldn't have been more helpful and respectful. They too were happy, helpful staff. Clearly the management, the staff selection and preparation, and the created culture in this hotel are exceedingly good.

I highly recommend the Swissotel Kolkata, India. This was a better experience than even the Four Seasons Hotel in Paris or Claridges in Mayfair, London because while the property isn't quite as hot, the service is five star plus. Well done!

Kerala, India
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at Swissotel, during early March 2012, for a conference. The hotel is very close to the airport (10-15 minute drive), which is great for conference participants. It is, however, quite far from the city (45-90 minutes depending on where you wanted to go).

The hotel is in New Town, which used to be all fish farms until 10-15 years back. The surround area is not well-developed. Fortunately, the Swissotel is attached to a Mall, which provides options for food and shopping (mostly westernized stuff, hardly any local goods).

The rooms are not very large but very modern in decor and furnishings. Food is good, and there is little to complain about. I left at four-fifteen in the morning, and there were tea/coffee and snacks at the checkout counter for people who would miss the complimentary breakfast...a nice touch, I thought.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: My friend at the conference tells me that his room had a private swimming pool...in case you are int...

Delhi
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed at the Swissotel, Rajarhat, Kolkata recently and simply loved it.

Everything from the check-in till check-out was a breeze.

I landed at the Kolkata airport pretty late around 10:45PM; found the pickup cab from Swissotel waiting for me at the arrival. The drive from the airport to the hotel took less than 20 minutes, which I appreciated the most especially given the chaotic traffic that Kolkata has.

My check-in was very smooth and soon I found myself in a very comfortable room at the 4th floor. The room had just about everything that a business traveller could need. A comfortable double bed with 2 different pillow choices. Mood lighting to suit your mood. A well stocked mini-bar, electic kettle and coffee maker with sufficient supply of tea bags, gourmet coffee and china cups to enjoy it in.

The room had a wonderful work desk, complete with a really comfortable chair, lamp and easy to reach sockets to hook up my laptpop and chargers. And there was a big LCD TV, to catch up on some news, favourite channels.

The wardrobe was spacious with enough hangers and an electronic safe. And, it was a pleasure to find a steam iron and an ironing board to add to the convenience.

The bathroom was fantastic in its layout, supply of the cosmetics provided and the quality of the towels and the bathgown was outstanding. A warm shower soothed my tired soul and I retired for a long day ahead.

I had the breakfast at the hotel's coffee shop at the 6th floor. The buffet menu was elaborate and fresh and inviting. The whole seating layout was really charming. The staff was outstandingly courteous and their attention towards the guests was simply class-leading. The staff's hospitality all through my breakfast was really wonderful. And I do not recall having enjoyed a breakfast that good for a long time - fresh orange juice, eggs made to my preference complete with freshly grilled toamto and mushroom, my favourite newspaper brought right to my table, the skylight streaming in fresh sunshine, the aroma of fresh coffee and I could go on and on. I really didn't want to leave but had to, as meetings awaited me at my workplace.

The staff was courteous and helped flag a local yello taxi cab for my commute to the office. The hotel cabs can be very expensive especially if you dont want to drive a long distance from the hotel.

In the evening, I had a nice time at the Centrall Shopping Mall thats located right besides the hotel. It is a lively place with a lot of good cafes, restaurants and shops. I really liked one shop that sold handcrafted terracotta items and picked up a few paintings from there.

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay if you are visiting the offices located in or around the Rajarhat area. The close proximity to the airport really is a convenience when you are ready to fly back. For those of you who want to explore the city, you will find it a bit far and during late nights, it is not easy to find a cab or auto-rickshaw who would be willing to take you back to the hotel. Be prepared to pay some extra money to find a transport back to the hotel.

I could not get a chance to enjoy the spa or the pool at the hotel due to my busy schedule but I look forward to it when I next get a chance to stay again at the wonderful Swissotel, Kolkata.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SnoopyDelhi

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is the best hotel I have stayed in India and as regards staff attitude and service,the best I have experienced in the world...it is exceptional..staff amazing and passionate about what they do.You are pampered from the second your vehicle draws up to the hotel entrance...without being smothered.(a mistake that other hotels and restaurants often make..too intrusive).
All the facilities are excellent.I have never had such a brilliant complimentary breakfast..nor so well cooked/prepared/presented by excellent chefs and staff who really are passionate and proud about what they do.
Close to airport,adjoins a very good shopping mall.Completely soundproofed rooms..you simply would not know u were close to the airport unlees you look out the window..or are in the awesome infinity pool on the 6th floor.
It may look pricey for India but it is absolutely worth every penny for the experience.To get this in Europe would cost 3-7 times as much.So enjoy..you will want for nothing.
You won't get the Kolkata City "experience" here..but it's not far away if you want it.

Room Tip: Even though close to airport,pre-booked taxis from airport do not necessarily know where this hotel...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo