All reviews olkhon island lake baikal breakfast and dinner crepes three nights worth the money each evening tasty food nikita meals irkutsk accommodation tours village rock atmosphere khuzhir
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

For the equivalent of £35 you get a bed with breakfast and dinner included. Meals are hearty, very tasty and filling.

The atmosphere in the communal areas are friendly. Tours and cooking courses are also offered.

The only downside are the staff who run the reception. They are rude, miserable and give conflicting information. The other staff that work on site, like Dima in particular, are really obliging and friendly which makes up for the abrupt reception you receive.

A memorable highlight was the sunset each evening. Just a few steps outside the homestead to the "beach" of the Baikal you have a beautiful backdrop for some great sunsets.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The place is quite well located in the Island. Quite a drive from the ferry terminal, but it is worth the drive.

The houses are Russian Isba type of wooden houses. It is a typical backpackers hangout place. I loved the internationality of the place.

We were two families traveling with a small kid and we were told that at the time of the booking that we will have a private bathroom and toilet just for the two families, only to realize that it wouldn't be so.

The Wi-Fi was as good as not existing. Further more they charge 150 Rub for it (not that it was a big sum.... but....) The least that you expect is that it works and has a good speed. Alas !!

The price included the food as well. We had categorically told that we are vegetarians and we were told that they will be making special arrangements for us. But I guess the people who made our reservation apparently didn't inform the kitchen.. We were told on the Day 1 of checking in that we will be served in a restaurant above the French Bistro.. When we turned up the next day there for dinner, we were told that they don't have any veg food for us. We settled down for some mashed potatoes at their regular canteen (which normally served mostly meat dishes) When we made our unhappiness evident to the staff, Nikita (the man who owns and runs the place) came looking for us and tried to make up.

Having said all that, the place is located very close to the beach and I wouldn't mind going back to the island again. Maybe stay at a slightly better place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Parmeshwaran I
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Just finished 2 great days and nights on olkhon with unreal sunshine in Siberia- the place looks like a Greek island or an asian tropical paradise at times!

Nikkitas- as far as accom in olkhon- it's the place they say to stay- so I did just that! I gambled n turned up and was given a room - 4 bed dorm! In cleaned and looked full, Then 10 mins later , moved to a single cabin clean and lovely! Not a problem moving! The rooms are little wooden huts as such- comfy cosy and home like, very nice! The location can't get much better - cliff/beach side of the area- a few minutes walk to cliffs and lake beaches! Views are fantastic! Now to my disappointment - I'm stayed in some fairly poor places along my travels and it doesn't bother me but having heard all the hype and good reviews about nikkitas I expected better- these complaints as such are minor in the scheme of things and you get passed it no worries- just felt dissapointed with what I had heard and what I was seeing!

So, staff- fairly unhelpful in all areas- mainly a woman on reception(I could name and shame) where asking questions seemed to use up her valueable time with a huff of air she would answer single answers- everything seemed to much trouble for her! Must have got out on the wrong side of the bed 2 days running! Service with a smile...... Not so much!

Food- portions that wouldn't fill up a child- and only with a bit of cheekiness could I get seconds! Food doesn't normally come with hostels etc so it's a plus but if you offer it in the price- surely you should provide more than a mouthful! Variety and tastewise- average!

Wifi- I know not a necessity but off the back of 5 days train travel- nice to touch base to say hello and all is well! 150 roubles is the cost for 24 hours- now the place where wifi is available like the bistro is sometimes shut - opens at 1800-0000, and then it's intermittent at best- understandable- it's an island- so why charge for a barely usable service- when brought up- no goodwill gestures - sorry that's the way it is, you must pay again if you want broken internet, Thank you staff!

Finally- and probably my most petty point- and some may laugh- sign by the reception, we play football each night on a sand pitch - come and join in- it's the male staff and various others from area, so I turned up- asked to play- rudely told not welcome, much to the laughs of my friends, so like a upset angry disgruntled school kid I walked away to have a beer watching the sunset!

So as you can see mostly small things- if I went back I'd maybe hire a tent which is a popular thing and your free to make your house wherever you feel!

Nikkitas has everything there to be a fantastic little place- and if it wasn't hyped up elsewhere - I wouldn't even write this, just feel it let's itself down a lot with the smaller things! Staff being probably my biggest fret, manners and smiles cost nothing!

Olkhon island - must see- where to stay.......upto you!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank tuxster11
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is a very rustic but comfortable hotel really more like an old time lodge. My wife and I stayed there four days in late May so the tourist season had not yet ramped up but there still was an assortment of International backpackers coming through all the time. At that time of year it was very quiet and relaxing. We found our room to be warm, cozy, and comfortable. It had a shower. Also there is a banya onsite and they're building a second. You can also have laundry done on site for a small fee. The staff was very friendly and the food was great -- cooked fresh everyday, fresh fish from the lake, and served in a communal dining hall which, given the international clientele, made it even more fun to mix and socialize with the other travelers. Shaman Rock, the most recognizable Lake Baikal landmark, is practically a stone's throw away. When I go back to Olkhon Island I will book a room at Nikita's.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The winter was just over. The lake was still frozen but the homestead still give us the best services. Friendly staffs, the good cook and awesome excursion too, minus the cold weather still. We are the only 4 guess there and we enjoy ourselves (all of us met each other at the homestead).

Room Tip: shared room might be better than the single room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo