All reviews breakfast and dinner lake baikal olkhon island three nights crepes worth the money each evening tasty food nikita tours rock meals accommodation irkutsk village khuzhir french
Reviewed June 2, 2015

We had a great time on Olhkon, thanks in large part to the helpful and friendly staff at Nikita's. The homestead is quirky, with lots of things to look at just on the property! There are lovely wooden buildings and new additions being made.

Our room was very spacious and comfortable, with great beds and warm bedding. The 3 of us woke from one of the best sleeps we've ever had which gave us the energy for a 28km return hike - recommended to us by reception. The hike was the highlight of my trip to Russia and included a quick dip in Baikal - still only 5degrees at that point!

I really enjoyed the food, it was well prepared and tasty. It was nice to get some variety in what we were eating - dinner was soup and a fish meal PLUS dessert. Happy belly. Breaky was eggs, pancakes and this delicious corny porridge thing. Perfect for a day of activity.

I think it would also be great for families as it was a quiet location with good sized rooms.

Good also for backpackers who are looking to meet others - the canteen serves meals over 1.5 hours, so you can see people. The rooms are further away from the noise.

If you are into outdoor activities, and are happy to do unguided tours - then I really reccommend this island! I also heard some good reports of tours on the island but didn't personally do any.

WIFI was expensive... 50Rubles for 30 minutes.

It's not a homestay, or a hostel, or a hotel! Not sure what category to put it in! Nikita's is a place of it's own!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily C
Reviewed May 30, 2015 via mobile

We stayed there for zwo nights. We had a New private room with a private bathroom. It was very clean. The beds were big.
The staff speak good english and a little german. I wasn't a friend of the meals, but they are nature based and you have to live with it, because there is only nature everywhere. That's why Nikita's has this special charme.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2015 via mobile

If you're thinking of going to Olkhon, stop. Just do it. It is stunningly beautiful, utterly still and peaceful, and there are incredible walks you can take - if you're lucky, as we were, you'll get a couple of street dogs walking with you, keeping you company. They're friendly, not scary, and they'll show you the way.

Nikitas itself is good. Not great, but good. Some nice, friendly staff - and some truly indifferent, actually blatantly rude ones. Hey, this is Russia. But still.

The food is plentiful and tasty - very filling country food. Not haute cuisine, but it doesn't have to be.

The Internet access - which you pay for - is woeful. Not the end of the world, but after days in a train it would be nice to connect. It's all but impossible to do so. Certainly, forget uploading pictures or anything complicated.

The rooms are nice - and warm - and it all feels safe. It's clean. The grounds are quirky and a good hangout, but in winter there's a real need to have somewhere warm to hang out other than your bedroom - but the canteen/common room is almost constantly padlocked. Yes, you can go to reception and ask them to open it up - but it's a pity this is so often necessary.

Nikitas is ok, and means you can stay on Olkhob, which is amazing. But some more smiles, a warm place to hang out, and decent internet would really improve it there.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2015

We were really happy here. It was slightly different to what we expected - too large to be a "proper" homestay and their alcohol policy has changed so there's a "French" bistro on site which serves beer. There was a large French presence when we were there - I think the tour guide and a few other people who work there are French - obviously not a negative but they were in a huge group so it took us a while to find some other people to talk to. We went on a new tour the guide was doing the "hard sell" on - which went all around the northern edge of the island and included some walks. I can't remember the name of it, but I'd definitely recommend doing that tour rather than the standard one on offer. We struggled a bit to find our way there after the minibus dropped us off in the centre of the town - the minibus driver was happy to take us there for some extra cash, but maybe it's worth having a map of where it is!

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2015

Having read the kind of mixed reviews of this place and the fact that it's a big business at this stage, I had actually decided to stay somewhere else. However that place had no rooms available so we decided to just let the bus from Irkutsk drop us off at Nikita's. We had no pre-reservation but no problem getting a room for 3 nights, however was notified that we had to move to another room on the last night which we were fine with. In the end we actually got to stay in the same room for all the nights which was even better.

The receptionist that checked us in was very friendly and we dealt with her more or less the whole time being there when booking tour and bus back to Irkutsk. Only once I met another girl in the reception and didn't particular find her friendly. The rest of the staff I met was incredibly nice. The place was kept clean and the cleaning staff always seemed to be working. The kitchen staff was good too, nice and I actually found the food surprisingly good. There was definitelly enough food and the quality was good. I even say this as a person that needs a lot of fuel and often find it hard to get a substancial and large meal.

Breakfast and dinner is included in the room price which I initially found a bit steep. But after having food I think the price is reasonable enough. One day I also bought lunch in the place and this too was good and very reasonable priced. The supermarkets on the island have an extremely limited selection! Free tea, coffee and hot water is available in the kitchen. Shared toilet and shower facilities were a lot better than I expected from a place like this.

Did one tour through Nikita's, a day tour to the north of the island, by Russian minibus on the ice with various stops on the way. Includes lunch. No guide but just a Russian speaking driver. I didn't expect there to be a guide so was happy enough with this tour.

The location was one of the best things about Nikita's as you had the lake and cliffs literally in your back garden making it easy to go down on the frozen lake whenever you wanted, being it to watch the sunset or just go for a wander.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple