“DON'T DO IT!!!”

Red Roof Inn Gulf Shores
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed 6 April 2015

This is the absolute worst place I have ever, ever stayed. The experience was bad from check in to my early check out because the hotel WAS so horrible and the manager' "Johnny" was a class A jerk and terrible human being to boot. First off, the hotel doesn't even have the right name on it, Travel Lodge is on the sign out front even though you make a reservation for Magnuson Inn and Suites! Next when I got there at the appointed time I was told first they couldn't find my reservation, then they found me but had given my room away. They promised me they would make it up to me by giving me the best room if I would just come back after 3pm to which I agreed. If only I had know how laughable "Best Room" was for this place I would have left then. When I arrived back at 3 there was confusion again about where to put me, it was finally resolved I was given keys and my kids and I went off to start our Spring Break only to find the room was already occupied by a gentleman who was nice enough not cuss me out when we walked into the room where he was lying on the bed. I apologized, hurridly fled the room and went straight back to the front desk for the what 4th time now? They managed to give me a room with no one in it which I counted as a plus, but when we got inside it smelled like raw fish/shrimp...some sort of raw seafood. I decided to make the best of it and went to a local dollar store and bought all kind of cleaning supplies and air freshners. Upon making it back to the room I cleaned it from top to bottom, set up air freshners then opened the refrigerator and found out where the foul smell was coming from...a former guest must have had some type of seafood that leaked "juice" into the freezer portion of the fridge and froze creating a constant stink that emmantated from the fridge to smell up the entire room. So once again, I defrosted the funky fridge freezer and cleaned out a black, moldy looking drainage opening in the fridge. Later that night when the kids got ready for bed I decided to check the mattress for bugs, because everything else was wrong with this place. Guess what I found! Yep, some type of little brown bugs under one of the mattresses!!! I freaked out went downstairs to the front desk because the room had no phone, it is now almost 1AM in the morning, the very nice overnight front desk clerk came back my room with me and saw the bugs, she immediately moved me to yet another room (The count is at 3 rooms now). Upon arriving in my last and final room it looked ok at first site, but alas, it was not to be. I had heard that room given to a fellow traveler earlier in the day when I was making one of my many visits to the front office and I was very afraid of walking in on my second person of the day/ night/morning (I'm almost delirious by this time). So the night clerk opend the room for me to check and make sure no one was already in there. Thank goodness there wasn't but that made me start to wonder why this guy was no longer in the room. But I was tired, I wanted to get my kids in bed so I took the room after the night manager went back to get the microwave out of the first room because this room had a fridge but no microwave. We couldn't get it to work first because the eletrical outlets would barely hold the plugs. Anyway got my kids moved in after checking the mattress where we didn't see any bugs. I went to take a shower and found out why the first guy moved! The shower was broken!! There was no way to turn on the water!!! The night manager after my 3rd visit to her as it's nearing 2AM left me with the keys to the old room so I could take a shower there, which I did since I had already cleaned that bathroom myself. The next day I brought the manager "Johnny" to my room to show him the shower and he promised to have it fixed before we returned to the room that night. He also told me to just push up the broken metallic piece that was hanging out of the faucet fixture and to turn the water back off to use the tub stopper and push down hard to turn it back off. I saw a medical accident waiting to happen so I went to Lowes and bought a pair of pliers so that I could turn to shower on and off without injury to myself or my children. Of course the shower never got fixed. That was finally the last straw, so I cut my vacation short, checked out the next morning and told "Johnny" I would be willing to pay for 1 day since I actually stayed one day. He informed me that I checked in on the 2nd it was now the 4th so I was paying for 2 days. He went ahead and ran my card, didn't want to tell me how much he charged me and I had to ask for the genereal managers name and phone number before he would give me my receipt to show how much he charged me. He informed me that if I was dissatisfied I could have left at anytime and he would have refunded my money at that time. I wonder if that included a 1 AM departure with children in tow? Johnny was horrible to all of the guest that I heard him interact with, he was horrible to his own staff who were trying their best and he straight out lied to me by telling me he would get the water/faucet in my room fixed. When I brought that up to him on checkout he told me he had a list a mile long of things that needed fixing and he just didn't get around to me so tuff luck!!! DON'T EVER, EVER STAY HERE!!! THIS PLACE IS A HEALTH HAZARD!! IT SHOULD NEVER BE ADVERTISED ANYWHERE EVER!!!

Room Tip: Never choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Myrian C

Reviewed 17 March 2015

My boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute spring break trip to Gulf Shores and this was the only option close to the beach that was still available. I booked through the "Magnuson Inn and Suites" website, I got a great price for a king size room with a whirlpool. We arrived in town about two hours early and I stopped by to check if the room was ready. First of all, the hotel is called Travelodge now. The woman at the first desk was new, this was actually her first day out of training so that only made things worse. She couldn't find my reservation anywhere even though I had the confirmation email right in front of me. After 30+ minutes of standing at the front desk and multiple calls to her manager, she finally figured things out. She was able to subtract some of extra fees which I was thankful for. She gave us the room key and we went about our way. We got the our room which was close by the office and had front row parking. All of the previous problems would have been forgiven, but I went to open the door and the key would not work. I went back up to the office and told the woman, she informed me that the key system had been messing up so someone would have to walk down and manually unlock the door for us! How ridiculous is that?! We unpacked and I went to use the bathroom, surprise, the light did not work. We called her BACK to our room and she personally fixed the light bulb because matainance was nowhere to be found. I will give that lady credit, she did everything in her power to help us, it wasn't her fault that management threw her into work without proper training. After all that ordeal, there was no whirlpool in the room like my reservation had stated. The bathroom ceiling bad black spots which I assumed to be some type of mildew or mold. The carpet was torn in many places and felt sticky, I wore socks when walking around. I just felt uncomfortable and unclean the whole time. We ended up leaving a day earlier than planned due to the hotel and poor weather conditions at the beach. My boyfriend went and talked to the front desk clerk about leaving early, the guy kept telling me I booked the hotel on priceline(which I did not) but I attempted to call Priceline anyways so see if I could get it straightened out. After 45+ minutes on the phone with Priceline they informed me that they didn't have any record of that reservation(duh) so my boyfriend went back to the office and after some time, the guy finally said he could refund me for the last night that we wouldn't be staying. We left early the next morning and the check out process wasn't easy either. The woman working didn't know how to refund us so she called the manager who said to call priceline(UGH), I finally got angry and demanded to talk to the man who worked all of this out the night before. Luckily, the man was on the property and came over to work it out. After a good 30 minutes of him working that out, we were finally ready to go. I can say that the people working were all helpful and understanding but there were too many flaws. I've never had so many issues in one hotel stay than I did in this one. I'm not sure if it was just bad luck because no one else staying there seemed to have so many issues. Overall, I will pay a little more to stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank daniellecc601
Reviewed 19 November 2014 via mobile

I have to come to Gulf Shores quite often and this is the only hotel I will stay with. The staff is always so nice and the manager always goes above and beyond to make my stay absolutely perfect! You could stay on the other side of the bridge and pay double but why would you? (

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 10 September 2014

I booked this hotel through BringFido.com since we were taking our dog with us. There are a limited number of hotels that allow pets and this was one of them - and the 'best value' since we were going over Labor Day weekend. I can't even say "you get what you pay for" because it isn't true it this case! This hotel is named the Magnuson Inn and Suites (when booking it online), however, the Travelodge sign is still there - so don't be fooled.

We arrived late due to traffic issues - checked in at 11:30 pm. We stayed all of 10 minutes. Just long enough to take pics and then we put our bags and dog right back in the car. We risked a night in the car over staying in that room. Both of us were in the Army and have slept in the dirt and have stayed in some bad hotels in the past - but, this was just too much!

I have since received a refund of my payment, with the exception of the 'cancellation policy' part. I am in the process of getting that back as well.

Anyone traveling with animals, the Staybridge is awesome!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sandy B
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is no longer a Travelodge, but a Magnuson Inn. The carpets were so dirty our feet were black from walking on them. We did not have a key to our room because the outside lock was broken. It did lock from the inside. Bathroom was moldy. Bugs were crawling on the walls. The breakfast was pitiful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank WanderingQMS
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I are actually just leaving this location. Here's the rundown...online, this hotel is named Magnuson Inn and Suites, and there are two locations in Gulf Shores (this is the 3049 1st address)

The place was cheap, around $250, with the use of a 10% off promo. We were looking for somewhere to lay our heads on our weekend trip to gulf shores.

In saying that, we weren't looking for a palace, but we did expect reasonable accomodations. Check in was about 15-20 minutes. The room (second floor) was your typical motel 6 layout (2 beds, microwave, fridge, hair dryer). The room itself was clean at first glance. The bathroom was clean EXCEPT for the tub, which had a black substance in it (the front office said that it was stained and could not be removed, but whenever the water ran, small flakes would surface). We were not able to change rooms, the hotel was fully booked, so we opted to lay a towel in the tub and take showers.

The microwave had electrical issues and kept turning off, but we managed after several attempts. The was a flat screen tv, that was the nicest thing in the room. Other electronics like the hairdryer, clock radio, phone were dirty, good thing we didnt need to use them.

The floor is carpeted and filthy and if walk barefoot for a minute, your feet will be too.The bed sheets were clean, but one comforter was ripped, yet they still used it. The towels in the room were dingy, i dont know if they use bleach. Cleaning service was adequate, they remade the beds and emptied the trash but didn't change the sheets, and I had to wait for extra towels and wash cloths because they "were washing", which meant that I had to wait 20-30 minutes after the room was cleaned to take a shower.

Overall, if you're looking for a cheap stay-close to the beach, wal-mart, and restaurants, it won't "kill" you to stay here, but beware.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank TishTurnerLA
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel Jul 7th to find leftover turkey sandwich meat in the refrigerator, and the frige didn't close. There was no shower curtain, therefore water went everywhere. There was mold and peeling paint in the bathroom. The carpet was so dirty it turned your feet black. The microwave was rusted inside. Had to plug in lamps to use them. One lamp didn't work. Another had a faulty plug-in and flickered so we left in unplugged.
Pulled out the side table to use the plug in and found hardened cheese, fruit loops and an empty chip bag. There were 3 of us staying in the room and only had 3 towels, 2 wash clothes and 1 hand towel. On Jul 10th requested new towels and told housekeeping my son would be in the room and just knock, towels never came. I had to get them from the office. The first night we went to bed the sheets were wrinkled like someone had slept in them, and there was Cheetos stain on the pillow case so I had to turn it inside out. Also, a burn hole in the blanket. Desk clerk didn't ask how our stay was at the time of check out.
We picked this hotel because it was close to everything. But never again will I stay at a Travelodge!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family