See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 17, 2015

My boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute spring break trip to Gulf Shores and this was the only option close to the beach that was still available. I booked through the "Magnuson Inn and Suites" website, I got a great price for a king size room with a whirlpool. We arrived in town about two hours early and I stopped by to check if the room was ready. First of all, the hotel is called Travelodge now. The woman at the first desk was new, this was actually her first day out of training so that only made things worse. She couldn't find my reservation anywhere even though I had the confirmation email right in front of me. After 30+ minutes of standing at the front desk and multiple calls to her manager, she finally figured things out. She was able to subtract some of extra fees which I was thankful for. She gave us the room key and we went about our way. We got the our room which was close by the office and had front row parking. All of the previous problems would have been forgiven, but I went to open the door and the key would not work. I went back up to the office and told the woman, she informed me that the key system had been messing up so someone would have to walk down and manually unlock the door for us! How ridiculous is that?! We unpacked and I went to use the bathroom, surprise, the light did not work. We called her BACK to our room and she personally fixed the light bulb because matainance was nowhere to be found. I will give that lady credit, she did everything in her power to help us, it wasn't her fault that management threw her into work without proper training. After all that ordeal, there was no whirlpool in the room like my reservation had stated. The bathroom ceiling bad black spots which I assumed to be some type of mildew or mold. The carpet was torn in many places and felt sticky, I wore socks when walking around. I just felt uncomfortable and unclean the whole time. We ended up leaving a day earlier than planned due to the hotel and poor weather conditions at the beach. My boyfriend went and talked to the front desk clerk about leaving early, the guy kept telling me I booked the hotel on priceline(which I did not) but I attempted to call Priceline anyways so see if I could get it straightened out. After 45+ minutes on the phone with Priceline they informed me that they didn't have any record of that reservation(duh) so my boyfriend went back to the office and after some time, the guy finally said he could refund me for the last night that we wouldn't be staying. We left early the next morning and the check out process wasn't easy either. The woman working didn't know how to refund us so she called the manager who said to call priceline(UGH), I finally got angry and demanded to talk to the man who worked all of this out the night before. Luckily, the man was on the property and came over to work it out. After a good 30 minutes of him working that out, we were finally ready to go. I can say that the people working were all helpful and understanding but there were too many flaws. I've never had so many issues in one hotel stay than I did in this one. I'm not sure if it was just bad luck because no one else staying there seemed to have so many issues. Overall, I will pay a little more to stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank daniellecc601
Reviewed November 19, 2014 via mobile

I have to come to Gulf Shores quite often and this is the only hotel I will stay with. The staff is always so nice and the manager always goes above and beyond to make my stay absolutely perfect! You could stay on the other side of the bridge and pay double but why would you? (

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine C
Reviewed September 10, 2014

I booked this hotel through BringFido.com since we were taking our dog with us. There are a limited number of hotels that allow pets and this was one of them - and the 'best value' since we were going over Labor Day weekend. I can't even say "you get what you pay for" because it isn't true it this case! This hotel is named the Magnuson Inn and Suites (when booking it online), however, the Travelodge sign is still there - so don't be fooled.

We arrived late due to traffic issues - checked in at 11:30 pm. We stayed all of 10 minutes. Just long enough to take pics and then we put our bags and dog right back in the car. We risked a night in the car over staying in that room. Both of us were in the Army and have slept in the dirt and have stayed in some bad hotels in the past - but, this was just too much!

I have since received a refund of my payment, with the exception of the 'cancellation policy' part. I am in the process of getting that back as well.

Anyone traveling with animals, the Staybridge is awesome!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sandy B
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This hotel is no longer a Travelodge, but a Magnuson Inn. The carpets were so dirty our feet were black from walking on them. We did not have a key to our room because the outside lock was broken. It did lock from the inside. Bathroom was moldy. Bugs were crawling on the walls. The breakfast was pitiful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank WanderingQMS
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My family and I are actually just leaving this location. Here's the rundown...online, this hotel is named Magnuson Inn and Suites, and there are two locations in Gulf Shores (this is the 3049 1st address)

The place was cheap, around $250, with the use of a 10% off promo. We were looking for somewhere to lay our heads on our weekend trip to gulf shores.

In saying that, we weren't looking for a palace, but we did expect reasonable accomodations. Check in was about 15-20 minutes. The room (second floor) was your typical motel 6 layout (2 beds, microwave, fridge, hair dryer). The room itself was clean at first glance. The bathroom was clean EXCEPT for the tub, which had a black substance in it (the front office said that it was stained and could not be removed, but whenever the water ran, small flakes would surface). We were not able to change rooms, the hotel was fully booked, so we opted to lay a towel in the tub and take showers.

The microwave had electrical issues and kept turning off, but we managed after several attempts. The was a flat screen tv, that was the nicest thing in the room. Other electronics like the hairdryer, clock radio, phone were dirty, good thing we didnt need to use them.

The floor is carpeted and filthy and if walk barefoot for a minute, your feet will be too.The bed sheets were clean, but one comforter was ripped, yet they still used it. The towels in the room were dingy, i dont know if they use bleach. Cleaning service was adequate, they remade the beds and emptied the trash but didn't change the sheets, and I had to wait for extra towels and wash cloths because they "were washing", which meant that I had to wait 20-30 minutes after the room was cleaned to take a shower.

Overall, if you're looking for a cheap stay-close to the beach, wal-mart, and restaurants, it won't "kill" you to stay here, but beware.

• Stayed: July 2014