“Best crab cakes!”
Review of Mikey's Grill

Mikey's Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Mikey's Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 186 Restaurants in Hoover
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2018

Party of four. We all had a different dish. I had the crab cakes, one had pasta, one had the steak and cake and my husband had a fish and shrimp dish. All were excellent. The crab cakes were awesome. The chef came from Fox Valley where they were known for their crab cakes. Best crab cakes ever. It is in a strip mall, but don't let the looks fool you. Excellent food!

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank 341anitah

Reviewed May 22, 2018

I very much wanted to like this place. The food was good, but the portions were pretty light given the prices. If I lived right around the corner I would go here, but I wouldn't make a drive for it. Landry's is more for less with similar quality.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank Bobby_Savoy
Reviewed February 21, 2018

Great food good service ! This made for a wonderful evening. There was five of us .we were seated quick , our waiter was great .

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank gene168
Reviewed January 29, 2018

Had lunch at this nice restaurant. The food was very good. It was well presented, tasty and well-portioned. Although our waiter was very pleasant, helpful, sincere and friendly, he lacked the skills needed for this restaurant. There were no knives at our table, when he brought a knife it was improperly placed it. We asked for hot tea-it was $ 3.00 (which was 25% of our entire bill). I can go on but he was too nice to do so. Very good food, a ways to go on service.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

Usually I would rate Mikey’s a 4 to be nice, but last night was kinda the last straw for being “nice”. Table of 6. One or two tables had people at them. Had to ask the waiter for wine and cocktail menu twice. Took five people’s drink orders and disappeared. (She had a drink menu in her hand-obvious she wanted to order). Gave dinner menus but no specials-told is about those as he was taking our order. Then, the food came out. I felt like I was in a cafeteria-“who had the snapper”?”, then instead of serving it- passed the plates down the table. Now, if it was a $10 entree, I might expect this, BUT THE PRICES ARE SOME OF THE HIGHEST AROUND. if I’m going to pay the same or more than Highlands Bar & Grill, I do NOT expect service like a cheap cafeteria. It’s UNEXCEPTABLE!
I ordered a seafood sampler, one of the “specials” for the night. It included a crab cake, which was good, grilled shrimp- cooked well, but rather small, fried crab claws and fried oysters. The crab claws were pale in color because they had not been cooked enough. The oysters looked like Cole Slaw. Seriously thought that’s what it was- One was chopped up and dredged on flour but uncooked, the other was whole but still white but not completely cooked. I showed the waiter. He agreed, said he would tell the kitchen, but did nothing else. No replacement, no reduction of bill, not even an I’m sorry. Now, let me take it one step further- I NEVER complain in a restaurant. I don’t send food back. So I wasn’t being overly picky. Others at my table even asked what that was on my plate, because it sure wasn’t fried oysters.
No the service has never been top notch here, it’s overly laid back food slinging for the price, but I’ve always given them a little bit of a pass because they are in Pelham, not Birmingham, but the owners need to correct this. As often as I’ve been, I’ve always wondered how they survived with such a low volume of customers. Maybe stepping things up or lowering their prices is the answer. I would rather have quality, but dang- tired of paying for quality and getting SLOP.

And let me say, bringing the credit card machine to the table is not a good idea in a white table cloth restaurant. Y’all need to run a diner. Geez.

Date of visit: January 2018