New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in Huntsville
Montgomery, Alabama
“Surprisingly Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Great location for convention center, great fried chicken salad.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 3Cleo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

As a priority club member, I was very satisfied. On arrival the 14th, I was warmly welcomed and acknowledged as a top club member including a free breakfast buffet for myself and my husband.

We went in the wrong door to get to our room but a staff member was very helpful in getting us there. The room was very roomy including a flat screen tv, mini fridge and microwave. This was a smoking room (per our request) but didn't carry the smell of stale cigarettes so this being said, yes, the cleaning staff does an excellent job with an exception, the bathroom.

The hotel offers a lounge/restaurant but beware, the drink prices are a bit steep. Staff there likewise is very friendly and welcoming. My husband likes a late night snack (the restaurant closes at 11) and so we called room service. They were having a really busy night and they recommended us to pick it up, which we appreciated, because they were short staffed. I believe the person who answered the phone knew who we were (from being in the lounge) and that is why it was suggested to pick it up. I can only say one thing about the food, EXCELLENT! Not to mention, reasonably priced.

We slept GREAT! Bed(s) were very comfortable and offered plenty of pillows. Internet service offered a good signal and no difficulty accessing. I did have a problem with the heating (I thought). Front desk sent a maintenance man he was there within a minute and here it was me not reading it correctly (my husband won't touch them) stupid as that was, the guy was super about it.

The bathroom was a bit crampy maybe because of the way the door opened pretty much into the toilet. It could have been a little cleaner (around the toilet), shower pressure was good but drainage was not, it was pretty bad.

The service was a tad slow at breakfast (to get seated) but no problem, it was a great buffet with enough to choose from. Note, some of the breakfast staff needs to be a little nicer to their co-workers. The person who sat us and cleaning the tables off as well, was a bit over-whelmed but God Bless him for the smile that remained on his face.

Overall, clean outside with adequate parking. Clean inside (even though it is an older building)with plenty of amenities. You definitely get your moneys worth here!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Celestiel
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Hotel is a little dated. Check in was quick and painless. Worst thing for me was I had trouble with the Internet while staying here. I basically did not even have it avail for the most part. I called the front desk and brought it to there attention and even talked with tech support and nothing was fixed for my duration of 1 week here. Being here for business it was important for me to have the access. The rooms were fine...one exception was hardly no outlets. You know you are in an old property when you have maybe 1 or available for you. If I was here with my family there would have been a problem. Your basic hotel room. Food was ok for breakfast. I think overall if I would have a choice to stay here again I would not.

Room Tip: Ask about the internet access location before your room assignment.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
PaulandTeddie,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. The WiFi was giving many of our guest’s issues and I'm grateful you brought this to our attention. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Nokesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I booked the room through Hotwire for a super decent rate. I have stayed here before on business and it was what I expected from before.

The rooms have a chair, work desk and fridge/microwave combo and are about what you'd expect. The property is mostly okay, though is obviously old and in some places run down. But the location is the kicker. It is centrally located and convenient to most Huntsville attractions. The staff is friendly and serves well.

Overall it was a good experience and would recommend to others - especially at a decent rate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jeff_balding
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Staff is always very nice & helpful. If you don't have a long stay here, location is perfect to visit many historic parts of the city and get tasty food.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank RevnedCO
Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Let's be honest -- unless you are splurging or camping out, most of these franchise hotels are about the same. The rooms were fine, if a little shabby. The hotel is a re-incarnation of a Hilton (it is obvious to see why Hilton shed its name from this property). There is a nice sized refrigerator and microwave in the rooms -- also a coffee maker, located in the bathroom (eww), obviously b/c there are so few outlets in the room. Clearly, this hotel was built preceding the need to plug in chargers and computers. I think there were two outlets in the whole room, the frig. and microwave using one of them.

On to the worst dining experience I've had in years. We were at the Holiday Inn for a sports tournament at the venue across the street. I inquired at hostess stand whether our group of 10 athletes could be served pasta when they arrived and I gave a 30 minute notice. I was assured it was No Problem! I should have known by the fact that the restaurant was empty, that it would, in fact, be very problematic. Our athletes arrived and no sooner than 90 minutes later were served! (Spaghetti with white or red sauce -- an order any establishment should be able to fill in minutes). Most of the meals were left untouched as they were a pile of mush or crunchy on top (too much time under the heating lamps or salamander). There were a few parents who tried to eat. After 30 minutes without a menu, we somehow managed to place our order, only to be just as disappointed in our meals. Kudos to the one hard working waitress -- who might have also been the cook, who knows? The one waiter who appeared briefly shoved the leather binder holding the bills between his underwear and skin-- absolutely disgusting! The entire meal was mortifying to me as the one who "planned" it and revolting in every way. Steer clear of this place!

Likewise, good luck with the "Starbucks" located inside. It is open at odd times and understaffed. The one employee who was trying to make coffee on Sunday morning was told to get to the restaurant as they needed help. Management of this hotel sorely needs an upgrade!

If you must stay in Huntsville, do yourself a favor and stay at the Embassy Suites (which was booked or we would have). It is slightly more expensive, but includes a free breakfast ($10/pp at the H.I.) and much nicer all around!

Room Tip: If you are an Elvis Presley fan, you can sleep where he slept when he was there for a concert in 197...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Codeedo
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Holiday Inn Huntsville Downtown, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear codeedo,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Katie J
case Manager
IHGCare
Jackson, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I travel a 5 state area , and this is one of my favorite hotels. It is my favorite Holiday Inn. I wish all Holiday Inn's would model this hotel. The first impression is check in , and they are allways perky and happy to greet you. They make you feel that you are their favorite customer. I allways tell them they are my favorite hotel , and they reply "your are favorite customer". That means alot to me cause it gets lonely on the road and they make you feel like a friend you've known along time. Im a priority rewards member, and alot of Holiday Inns only give me a thanks for being a member. I could get a thanks and points at most hotels now, its the extra perks that keep me coming back. At this location I get a executive level room with a evening reception with my choice of real bottled beer , wine , mixed drink , and a hot snack. In the morning they have a hot breakfast. Carlos at the evening reception is the coolest , warmest hotel employee I've meet any where. He'll remember your name after a couple of stays , and its like being welcomed home from a close friend. He's another reason I keep coming back. I almost forgot the warm welcome cookies when you arrive at the front desk..yum.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business