“Heaven on earth”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anjuna
Yogamagic Eco Retreat
Ranked #7 of 65 Anjuna B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Heaven on earth”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We ended our three week honeymoon in India, spending nine days in this beautiful place. The resort is lovely, the staff is excellent and the food is heavenly. The tent was beautiful and very romantic. The yoga lessons and the teacher were fun, challenging and inspiring. If you miss having a beer or meat, you have simply chosen the wrong place. There are thousands of places to go for meat and alcohol but this vegetarian, non-alcoholic resort is one of a kind if you want to experience beauty, calmness and harmony. We are so going back here the very first chance we get.
Marielle & Sofi

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarielleSofi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This is a really lovely place to stay. Everything is extremely well run and organised and the food is delicious. It's worth coming just for the food! Phil, Juliet, Lyndy and the rest of the staff were brilliant, so friendly and helpful.

I stayed in a tent which was gorgeous and felt very luxurious. The other people staying there at the same time were very friendly so I didn't feel like a weirdo staying on my own. The pool is really beautiful and I'd recommend the massages with Vishnu.

The only thing I would recommend to others is not doing the package for the yoga classes, if you want some flexibility. I think it is probably better to try a few classes and see if they and the teachers suit you before committing to and paying for a whole programme of them.

Overall this is wonderful place to stay if you just want a bit of a rest and some chill out time and I'd love to go back one day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
dk
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I loved everything about this place.
we stayed in a suite- LOVELY, amazingly well decorated and pretty.
food was DELICIOUS.
Yoga clases really good.
amazing staff.
tranquil and quiet lazy days by the pool reading were great for relaxing.
good massage.
i liked that it was a bit away from everything out on the filed.
liked the eco theme, which they took seriously.

disliked:

BUGS BUGS BUGS!
there were several roaches in our suite and bedbugs.... it ruined 4 days of my stay.
the staff were helpful, but only using eco friendly chemicals, it was impossible to do anything about it really, and that did not have a spare mattress.
i had lots of itching bites and it looked ugly.
i would expect a place like this to have those things under control. sad, cause it is the oNLY thing i disliked. everything else was paradise.

i still dont know if i would go back. i hate bugs and everythme i think of the sleepless nights... i kind of dont think i want to risk it again.
its a shame, cause the place is one of a kind.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jozobami
NYC
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I have been to at least four luxury tent-style hotels in Africa, so I
am well versed on what is possible in terms of service, amenities and
comfort within the constructs of a eco-friendly or tent variety hotel.

Yoga Magic met and exceeded all of my expectations for a fraction of
the price. Yes, locally it is expensive as the previous reviewer
pointed out, but it is well worth it. The staff was very warm and
helpful and, indeed, very pleasant and even fun to be around. If you
are looking for a western-style luxury hotel, as the previous reviewer
may have been, then Yoga magic is not a good choice. Part of what makes Yoga Magic magical, is the closeness to the earth that you feel while you are there, which would not be possible without the eco-toilets, and outdoor sun showers, and local, healthy food, and tented homes. Yes, it is rustic, but not at all uncomfortable (quite the opposite) or unromantic.

The yoga instruction was among the best (clearest, hands on, knowledgeable and committed) I have experienced (and although I am not what you would call experienced, I have sampled a lot of different instructors) . But I think my favorite aspect was the dining experience- orchestrated by the attentive staff, incredibly fresh, delicious, healthy food and the stars above your head and the wind blowing through the open aired dining area.

Actually my favorite part was walking into my tent to see it decked out with an elaborate flower decoration, that set the tone for a beautiful stay with my fiancee.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LumberjacksandLola
Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I loved my stay at Yogamagic. From the moment we walked into the place we felt completely relaxed. The grounds were gorgeous & so peaceful, the pool was clean, the staff were AMAZING and so helpful. We felt more like family than guests by the end of our stay. I can't recommend it highly enough.

And I have to say I'm a bit confused by some comments in the poorer reviews of this resort. From my recent experience of Yogamagic, I thought I'd clarify a few things in those reviews:

- I know people have different experiences of a place, but in the end I guess it comes down to what you are expecting from your stay at a hotel or resort. First of all, if you want 5 star luxury close to the beach and action, do not stay here. It is an eco resort & yoga retreat - great for kicking back, relaxing and recharging the batteries. It's back to basics, with a touch of luxury and difference.The fact it was more isolated, quiet and peaceful MADE this place. It would not have felt as relaxing closer to the action.

- The location was not close to 'town'. But Goa is made up of a series of villages anyway, so there are quite a few towns around. The beach and surrounding villages were only a very short, cheap taxi ride away, and staff arranged taxis in an instant. Management had even organised fixed prices with drivers at the beginning of the season to save guests from being overcharged.

- The included breakfasts were fantastic - a huge variety of fresh fruits, and yoghurt, muesli, honey, the most amazing fresh bread rolls and butter, and a variety of hot food (western and Indian), which differed each day. A variety of teas (herbal and normal) and coffee WERE included in the price. Juices were not (they were freshly blended, more like smoothies, and delicious!) And you could eat as much food as you wanted. I was dreading coming home to my weetbix. We had wake-up tea delivered to our tent each day at no extra cost. And the dinners we had there were really tasty. I did not get sick after eating the food.

- We were fully informed of the extra luxury tax from the time of our email enquiries, right through to confirming our booking. It was never a hidden cost for us, as previously suggested.

- There's a shared shower block with running hot water (the view from each individual cubicle out to the paddock is great!) as well as the terracotta wash bowl in your tent. I'm not sure where the waste water in the shared showers ran to - a previous reviewer felt it went into the dry creek nearby. If this is the case, Yogamagic actually asked us to ensure our toiletries were eco-friendly prior to our stay. If we all do our part and use environmentally safe products at Yogamagic, I'm hoping the impact on the environment is minimal.

- The water in the terracotta wash bowl in our tent was not stagnate. It was very clean. If you used the water to wash daily (which was a beautiful experience pouring water over your body in the warm sun looking up at the palm trees and listening to eagles shriek), then it was changed daily. If you do not use it, then I guess it sits there until you do. I loved getting back to basics. I loved the wash bowl & the eco toilet. It all felt really normal by day two.

- It's true they did not serve alcohol. But Yogamagic felt more like a health retreat, so the detox was one of the nicest parts of our stay! And I felt awesome by the end of our ten days there. We bought some alcohol (very cheap) from town, and the staff put it in the fridge for us, but we found we didn't even feel like drinking it (which is unusual for our lot!)

Overall, this place was amazing. The daily yoga was great, and not that expensive - Pete was an awesome and fun instructor, the staff were beautiful & went out of their way to assist you in any way possible (Lyndy, Annu, Chinnu, Pete & Dorothy were standouts in making our stay awesome), the interesting range of people staying there made it great for people watching, they arranged some good weekly activities (we viewed a fantastic Indian fusion music concert there), & the tents were a unique and great experience.

One thing to note was that the lights in our tent were so dim we could barely see at night, so had to use our torch a lot - we informed reception of this, though.

Go with an open mind and you will really enjoy Yogamagic. It is different, but that is all part of the fun! If you want grog, a lot of action, shiny floors, plush bedding and hot running water at your fingertips, choose a 5 star resort on the beach. If you want peace, relaxation, yoga, an interesting vibe, great service, great food, along with easy taxi access to everything Goa has to offer, Yogamagic's for you. Personally, I would have chosen Yogamagic any day. I was sad to leave this place. And it's my ambition to go back one day.

Nina
Australia

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank willtravelforlife
Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2010

The only magic about Yoga Magic how they make your money disappear whilst giving so little in return. POOR ACCOMODATION in a POOR LOCATION at a HIGH PRICE is the net sum of what follows.

At the outset the prices are extremely high by Goan, let alone Indian prices. When you build onto this that you are paying $60 a night PER PERSON, to sleep in a mud-walled tent with no running water and no electricity, you are starting to get the accurate picture. Add to this the fact you are miles from the town and beach and the picture becomes clearer again. This unattractive image doesn't improve when you consider the accomodation itself.

The tents are constructed of mud and wood and poorly thatched. The toilet and "shower" are outdoors, seperated with flimsy mudwalls.. The "shower" is a jar of stagnant cold water that you pour over yourself. The toilet has no water but is a glorfied plastic hole in the ground into which you spray an "eco friendly" solution and add mango wood chips. This is emptied every day or so and poured over the gardens. All in all the tents are neither luxury or eco-friendly - in comparison to luxury camps I have stayed at in Africa and South America - they are woeful.

On the eco-friendly note, there is a small river at the back of the complex into which empties everything from the showers- shampoo, conditioner, facewash, the lot and this has made it a dirty swamp with shampoo swirling in it. So I would query how eco-friendly it really is.

What it certainly wasn't friendly to was our stomachs. All of our group of four people suffered violent food poisoning within an hour of eating breakfast. We were also aware of another guest who was suffering similar symptoms. Despite this, the management flately refused to even consider the possibility it could have been down to their food. Whilst we are on the subject of food it's worth pointing out a feature which sets Yogamagic apart from any hotel I ever stayed in - you get your breakfast included but if you want to drink anything with it - tea, orange, whatever, that's extra!

Accordingly, on the basis of the poor accomodation, poor location and extremely high costs and additional charges, I would strongly advise that you AVOID Yoga Magic and stay at a better, more reasonably priced and better located venue, there are plenty out there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
10 Thank VoyageurIrlandais
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 25 February 2010

First of all and despite its name, at Yogamagic yoga is not for free. The price you pay for a suite or a tent is already pretty high and you might expect yoga to be included. The resort it’s called Yogamagic after all, isn’t it? Well, no. Yoga lessons are quite expensive and you have to pay extra for them. Maybe I was negligent not to check thoroughly the website for the small print, but the name is – at least – misleading, especially so when other hotels of similar category and less explicit claims offer free daily yoga lessons.
Secondly, toilets. We stayed at a tent for three people. Let’s forget about the extremely dim, solar-powered un(reading) lights that accelerate the process of blindness. Our tent had an open-air toilet with no running-water. To “shower” you had to use a metal jar and pour over yourself water stored in open-air terracotta containers, a perfect breeding place for Dengue-transmitting mosquitoes. The “jewel” was the eco-toilet (sic). I’m pretty sure you don’t see pictures of it in the resort’s website. Let’s imagine yourself fully squatted: the toilet consists of a little sink in front of you (for liquids) and a hole behind you (for solids). After every use you’re supposed to spray some mixture into the sink and then wash it with the water from one of the terracotta vessels; for the solids you just need to cover them with woodchip (freely and generously provided by the resort). Eco-tale: your liquids will end up nourishing the banana trees nearby and your solids are used for making compound (the staff meticulously removes a bucket every day). I think I should have got paid instead of paying to use the tent, given my body waste ended-up improving Goa’s economy.
Third, breakfast is included. Yes. Not the full continental deal but one plenty of fruits, cereals and not much else. But it’s a “dry breakfast”. Yes, if you want coffee, tea or juice with your food you have to pay extra for it. Never in my life was I in a hotel that included breakfast but excluded tea, coffee or juice.
Last but not least, when we checked-out we were charged an unsuspected “luxury tax”. They don’t mention it in advance, of course, and it amounts to circa 10% over the already expensive tent tariff. A striking concept of luxury for a place with paths made of cow excrement and open-air toilets without running water…
But not all was negative, the swimming pool was nice.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
11 Thank Cesare R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjuna
0.8 km away
1.6 km away
Orritel Village Square
Orritel Village Square
#3 of 65 in Anjuna

Been to Yogamagic Eco Retreat? Share your experiences!