“A dream of Fusion Food”

A Reverie
Ranked #3 of 432 Restaurants in Calangute
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A Reverie is dramatically transformed with a fresh approach and energy. Our dishes edible installations and all is not what it seems! Food can do much more than just fill your stomach. At A Reverie, we are particularly interested in triggering memories through aromas, landscapes, childhood, surroundings and life. Some creations play with aroma, texture and flavour while others are designed to be provocative, tell a story or evoke an emotion. Most importantly, deliciousness! A Reverie is an expression of the evolution of the food on the table and the surrounding environment. We want your experience at A Reverie to be anything but dull. Nothing about a meal here would be humdrum. From our appetisers or sharing tapas plates and main courses to our stunning array of sweet'treats' that round off the meal, there will always at least one dish that makes you feel glad to be alive. At a more profound level, it's about food that resonates on an emotional as well as sensual level and "it demands psychological reflection". In other words, one doesn't come to A Reverie for a meal, one comes for an experience............
Reviewed 30 October 2016

If you are a fan of fusion food, then this is it!

Mexican Panipuri to Fusion Tacos.

The atmosphere is romantic and posh. Quite to have a lovely dinner.

The service is fast and with a smile.

The desert of 'Egg but No Egg' was the highlight. I do not want to spoil the surprise. You gotta eat it and be surprised.

2  Thank Sunil U
Aakritee S, Owner at A Reverie, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Dear Sunil U,

Thank you for the lovely review. Please do dine with us again.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

This is the only fine-dining restaurant I know in India that is neither a part of an international chain, nor was started by international chefs, and deserves the desired and dreaded Michelin stars (dreaded, for the restaurant comes under regular, sustained scrutiny if it gets bibbed).If you are looking for a fine-dining experience in Goa of the ilk of the top restaurants in Western Europe at extremely good value for the happy cabbage, your search ends here. There is no ‘Indian twist’ running as the common theme, though there are some creative fusion dishes that I have not encountered before. The closest comparison I can draw from experience is to Club Gascon in Smithfield, London, though A Reverie’s menu offering is not as rich. That works well, as I doubt Goa ever gets as cold as Londres! I would even go so far to say that if food is an expression of culture, A Reverie is an easily accessible Aida at the Vienna Opera House.

On a solo long-weekend break in Goa, I decided to look for a place with live music on a local online guide. Having been disappointed at two rather highly-rated restaurants in Goa, I ended up at A Reverie not expecting much in the direction of a culinary experience. I was expecting rather average meal, but had hopes for an evening of good musical performance.

The ambience is the first thing that raises expectations sky-high. The only way is down, you may think, but you would be happily mistaken.

My evening started with a pleasant (yes, pleasant) disagreement over the wine I had selected. It had not travelled well. Not only was it replaced unhesitatingly and with a smile, the Maitre d’hotel suggested another wine which was not on the wine list.
The double-barrelled starter I ordered was sublime, though being finicky, I thought one half of it could improve a little. Then came the main course, which justified the name of the restaurant! I savoured every forkful. The marriage of the fish, the seven sauces (served separately), veggies and, for this dish, the right amount of curried rice, was made in gastronomical heaven. I lingered over every bite with my eyes half-closed, so much so that the dish got cold. I still relished the last morsel, despite having had a late, heavy lunch.

A most affable lady came up to my table to ask if I enjoyed the meal. I got talking to her and found that she and her husband are the brains and brawn behind the restaurant. She creates all the dishes. Together, they have trained a great team. It is not often in India that a waiter at a stand-alone restaurant can explain the intricacies of various sauces, and a Maitre d’hotel knows his wine cellar better than, in my experience, sommeliers know theirs at some of the new fancy wine bars in places like Delhi, Bombay and Bangalore. (The wine list at A Reverie is understandably limited, but wide enough to suit different tastes, weather and, if you are pedantic, dishes).

I got talking to the pair that owns and runs the place. Their passion shone through.
When I apologetically mentioned my thoughts on the starter, I got a sincere smile with a “I-really-want-diners-to-give-me-constructive-criticism.” She really meant it, and we started discussing the pairing of different cheese. We, further, agreed, most pleasantly, to disagree over the bottle of wine I had rejected after tasting. He was equally unpretentious and has a sense of humour to match that of his lady wife.

Thank you Aakritee, Virendra, Gilbert and Athor for a most satiating evening, and my first truly ‘fine’ dining experience outside a 5-star hotel in India in over 18 months.

2  Thank Hansieontheloose

Dear Hansieontheloose,

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and sincerely hope we have many more such meetings in future. We are grateful and at the same time humbled by your review. It would be lovely to have you dine with us again.

Reviewed 28 October 2016

My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary earlier this month at A Reverie. We've been to the restaurant quite a few times over the years and I must say that they've truly hit their stride. The combination of taste, creativity, presentation and service was nothing short of phenomenal. We've lived around the world (Singapore, Venezuela, Colombia, Israel, Spain, Indonesia, USA and India) and are not particularly easy to please when it comes to culinary pursuits. But this particular meal we had at A Reverie on this particular evening was in fact one of the best experiences we've had at any restaurant anywhere. It was, in short, inspired. Kudos to the owners, the chef and all the staff at A Reverie, and please, keep it up!

2  Thank Steven G

Dear Steven G,

I am so glad you've enjoyed your special day with us and I thank you for the lovely review. Please do dine with us again.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

We celebrated my brother's birthday here on 20th October. The ambience is great. The decor is spectacular. The service-:second to none. The cocktails were incredible. But the food? What a totally wonderfully fantastic selection of food from around India and the world. Beautifully presented as well. Seriously couldn't recommend it enough and can't wait to go again when we're next in Goa. Thank you!

2  Thank Anita A

Dear Anita A,

I'm so happy that you've enjoyed your experience with us. Please do dine with us when you're in Goa next

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

Ate here on 26/10. Restaurant is located on holiday St, a stone's throw from the beach. Decorated well, and feels upmarket yet still relaxing. Instantly offered mosquito spray on arrival and garlic bread given at no cost. I was expecting an expensive meal based on ta reviews, however two main courses plus two alcoholic drinks came to just over rs1500 including tax. Good choices for veg and non veg customers. Waiters attentive but not intrusively so. Recommend the Thai thali main, presentation is fun. All in all I would recommend a visit if in the area.

1  Thank Ben B

Dear Ben B,

Thank you for the lovely review. Hope to see you dine with us again.