My partner and I spent 2 weeks at Ocean Palms in February. I had previously read on TA that not all rooms had balconies, so after contacting Monarch who we booked with, and them telling me to take it up with the Hotel directly, I requested a balcony room on check in. I was informed that there were no std balcony rooms available, however I could upgrade for around £10 per night to a deluxe balcony room. I agreed to this, however I was then informed that there weren't any delux rooms available anyway. The check in staff advised that they would let me know if any balcony rooms became available, but I guess that none did, as they never mentioned it again. The std room that we did get was good, despite the lack of balcony. The bed was fantastic, and the TV had a few decent channels which was a good thing considering the bars closed at 10:30pm due to the election curfews. There wasn't a lot of room for clothes, which was a downside however the furniture was well appointed. Our room was located in the block where the reception was. There was the frequent sound of doors slamming from various floors, which was rather annoying.
The hotel itself appears to be rather disjointed with the reception in one building, the restaurant in another, the pool squeezed in the middle (I'll get back to that) and the pool bar round the corner and down a level. It looked as if they had built the Hotel around a residential building, which had obviously been there sometime before they built the hotel.
Back to the Pool, well its obvious from the photo that its not olympic sized, but we were rather disappointed when we actually seen it. The angle of the photo seemed to suggest that there was a decent amount of space around the pool. In reality to the left of the shot is a wall, with probably less than 2 metres space to the edge of the water. The top edge has even less room. When you have your sun lounger reclined, you can hardly get past without risk of falling in the water. There are approx 20 sunloungers with half or so being out of the sun after midday. It just wasn't great. We never saw anyone clean the pool either, and it had a fairly decent tidemark building up. The poolside service was ok, the staff were quite pleasant once they seen your face a few times. We didn't use the pool bar as much as expected due to its location.
As we were B&B, we only frequented the Restaurant for breakfast. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the food on offer. The service appeared slightly haphazard, you never quite knew how your eggs were going to end up being cooked, or if they would arrive before lunchtime, however they were very good when they finally did arrive. The staff were pleasant, however the service organisation wasn't great. Although there were plenty of staff, one minute they were asking if you would like tea/coffee, then they would be sorting the cereal out, then they would be clearing a table. Then you might get your drink.
On the whole, I wouldn't say this was a bad hotel, I think we just expected a bit more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With global warming being a key concern, significant investments are being made in green technologies to reduce carbon foot prints across the world. Ocean Palms Goa too is a part of the drive. A 4-star eco-friendly resort, it is located in Calangute. Ocean Palms offers an affordable quality to business and leisure travellers alike. Blending the intimacy of home with modern amenities, the facilities at this child friendly resort include well appointed air-conditioned rooms, conferencing facilities, a swimming pool, a lounge bar, multi-cuisine restaurant, spa, and fitness services. The resort is located in a quite area of the main road. So you can enjoy a peaceful stay; at the same time it is hop-skip-and-jump away from popular tourists spots. Ocean Palms gives guest the best of both worlds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly and Priceline so you can book your Ocean Palms Goa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Palms Goa Hotel Calangute
- Ocean Palms Goa Calangute