“Decent place to stay in melaka town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Tropicaville

Hotel Tropicaville
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melaka
Hotel Tropicaville
Ranked #136 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
kl
“Decent place to stay in melaka town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a night. Room is small, but a spacious bathroom. Clean and Comfortable bed but limited tv channels. No breakfast. Room only for RM 98.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

This hotel is located behind the Afamosa fort, towards the sea in the new, posh, mall district of Melaka. As with most developments in that area, this hotel is relatively new & doesnt have the Melaka "old, historic" charm to it.

However, the hotel is quite comfortable, with the only flipside in our experience being that they didnt provide breakfast. The good points are:
1. Ample parking space
2. New rooms meaning new, clean bathrooms & in-room geysers
3. Mattresses are comfortable enough to sleep in
4. Though it is located behind the mall & nightlife stretch, the hotel itself is located in a quiet area meaning you can get a peaceful night's sleep
5. It is ideally located close to the KL-Johor highway meaning you can make a quick exit if you have an onward journey to make

As I wrote earlier, the flipside was that the hotel didnt have a eatery when we went there.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Sg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am in the room as I am writing this. I made a booking via the hotel website and paid in full via credit card upon booking for a family room at RM 298 inc RM 50 surcharge for holiday eve (24 Dec).

The price is higher than many other hotels of the same outfit in the area and the ONLY reason I took it up was because it stated that there is a minibar in the hotel which is important for me as I have a toddler and two lower primary children. This was suppose to be my transit night after spending four days at a resort. I frequent Malacca twice yearly and I've stayed in similar hotels nearby.

However, my nightmare begin with receiving a smelly and empty bar fridge. I had anticipated that so I came prepared with mineral water and some drinks for my children. There is no kettle to boil water so when my toddler wanted milk, we had to call the reception to get a flask of water 20 min later (my kid was crying frantic by then). This was when I received the most outrageous experience in a hotel of this price. I requested for a cup so that I can make my drink and the Reception desk told me that they are OUT OF CUPS because it is the holiday period. What on earth are they talking about? I paid the RM 50 surcharge for a room that is supposed to be equipped with a minibar (which implies basics like cups or at least a drinking glass) and they gave a can't be bothered attitude reply!

So what I did was to cross the road, get myself a can drink and use a can opener to remove the top and use it as a drinking cup for my family.

This place is pure Crap!

• Liked — Nothing that I can think of
  • Disliked — The poor service, misleading website and the full payment on booking
  • Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Singapore, Bedok Reservoir
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I have stayed in this hotel two times, the second time hoping things would have improved but this also ended up in disappointment.

The hotel gives you a "dead" feeling when you enter. The staff, be them receptionists or the cleaners give you a "bo chap" attitude when you see them. The rooms are small but the toilet is big, enough for a small single bed to be placed inside! Such strange demarkation of living spaces really tells the perception of the hotel owner - "no guest comfort in mind". The furnishings in the room are very simple - too simple in fact that you feel you are staying in a backpackers hotel. Not surprisingly, there is absolutely no facilites here except a vending machine selling drinks.

We paid about M$115 per night. Translated to Singapore dollars, this is actually quite cheap. But to be measured against Malaysian living standard, this is expensive! One can definitely find other hotels better than this for the same or slightly higher rates in Melaka. Stay here only when you really have no where to stay!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AhHwee
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

I have not yet stayed in this hotel but had initially planned to do so in the middle of this month. So, I made a call to inquire about the facilities and room rates. However, I was shocked to receive a hurried and "couldn't be bothered" kind of response from the other end of the phone line. Before I even finished my sentence, this ill-mannered woman slammed the phone down as if I am collecting some bad debts or something. All I wanted to politely ask was the the basic things anyone would want to ask....room types,room rates, breakfast included or not....any wi-fi facilities provided...that's it. Was that too much to inquire about ?? If this is the attitude...you can imagine the kind of service you can expect. As a new budget hotel in town...they can be rest assured of certain "death" in times to come. They should change management or change personnel to make this hotel as good as their neighbors.

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

I am always driving up to Malacca and have previously stayed at Hotel Tropicaville during the 2009 April Good Friday holiday trip. it is your average small room with basic neccesities.

I planned for another Malacca drive up for the 2009 May Labour Day holiday and pre-booked 2 rooms way before the trip. Paid in full through my credit card.

On the day of arrival when I checked in, I was only given one room key. I questioned the reception and said I booked 2 rooms. She told me yes, they are preparing the room and will inform me when it is ready. I sensed a problem as it was alreay 5pm when I checked in. How can the room not be ready? I questioned her again and asked if there was a problem with my booking, she avoided the question and said to us to rest in the room and to give her half hour for the other room.

We thus decided to ok give her half hour and went up to rest. Half hour later, I went down to the recept again and asked if the room is now ready. She said not yet and I asked how long more. She wasnt able to give me an answer and told me she will inform me when it is ready. Come on! How long do you expect us to wait without any idea. I then asked her again what is the exact problem? She told me they were repairing the toilet as there was a repair that needed to be done.

I then went up to my room and decided to have a shower 1st before checking on it again. When I went down again, the room still wasnt ready. I questioned her again and this time she told me another set of reasons..... a guest who was supposed to check out still have not done so and they are waiting for him to do so!

Really pissing me off now. I went up and told my fanily to pack and just leave. However, my dad decided to go down and demand for a compensation. This time round, the lady boss was down at the recept. She now admitted that one of her staff made a mistake with the bookings and only reserved one room for us.

Instead of giving us sensible options and alternatives, she told us: "Why dont i put 2 spare beds in the room that you are now in? I will refund you the unused room and charge you for 2 extra beds in one room?"

The room is already pathetically small and they still want to put 2 spare beds and charge us for the extra 2 beds because of their mistake??!!!

We told her no and she should either refund all 2 rooms and we find our own accomodation elsewhere or find us another 2 rooms elsewhere with the money that I have already paid her via my credit card.

She opted to go out and find us another room somewhere else (lower quality) and asked if we wanted that room. Of course not! I came on a holiday and she wanted me to split my family up into 2 different locations. Who in the right frame would do that!

My family and i then packed our bags and demanded our money back. However, she said she is unable to give us back in full for one of the room as we have already utilised it. My wife then told her that they have not been upfront with us in the first place. Had they told us there was only one room available, we would not have opted for it and would have gone elsewhere. HOwever, that wasnt the case, and they tried to cover it up. My wife then tried to reason to her and told her what was the right thing to do. However, she did not dare step out of her pathetic office and look my wife in the eye. I guess she knew what she was doing wasnt right. However, she was greedy for the room money and did not think of the future business return if she had better customer service and good references.

To all potential Malacca travellers. Beware of this hotel! I will not recommend this hotel for the pathetic service and lies instead of being upfront. There are plentyful better hotels closer to the main central and malls compared to this if you make your arrangements early. My take on this is that Malacca is a great place for food, shopping and massages. However, I rather forego Malacca if all other hotels are full and Hotel Tropicaville is the only ones with available rooms.

1 Thank AlvinTSingapore