Jonker Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Puri(Melaka)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsnight marketgrand deluxe roomno liftprivate parkingstreet marketperfect locationcendolwelcome drinkchicken rice ballceiling fanwithin walking distanceair confamily roombasic amenitiespleasant staykaraokejonker
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel is located at the end of Jonker Street, which is where the three main streets of Chinatown meet. The location is perfect for exploring Chinatown, most eateries and cafes are within easy walking distance. Those few world heritage sites are also not very far. The only better location I can think of would be by the river, but Melaka is quite small after all. My room was very spacious, clean, well-designed, and with a comfortable bed. I can't think of anything I didn't like about the room. I was lucky to get a room facing the courtyard. There's a karaoke place just across the street from the hotel, which was still going strong when I got back to the hotel at around 11.30pm. Breakfast isn't included, but there's a cafe next door and many more just down the road.

I found a lot of so-called boutique hotels very much overrated, but Jonker lives up to it and full deserves its reputation. In terms of service, design and comfort, it can rival any four or five star hotel.

When in Melaka, try Nyonya (Peranakan) food. It is said that Melaka serves the most authentic Nyonya food in Malaysia. The staff at Jonker's was happy to recommend a few places to me, all of which were excellent. Also try Chicken Rice Balls, another famous local dish.
I went to Melaka on a Monday, which turned out to be a mistake. The city was virtually dead, even a lot of restaurants were closed. If you go during the week, one night is more than enough. Apparently the weekend is the time to go, when all streets are packed with people, hawker food stalls, and shops open until midnight. I might go back one day just to see what it's like on the weekend.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
11  Thank Kookoon
Reviewed May 24, 2012

At one end of Jonker St, great Hawker food/ Streeet markets on Friday/ Saturday nights ! Very helpful hotel, great rooms bath/shower, art deco building ! Great Cafe next door, everywhere has WiFi. Important do stuff eg walking early or late in the day ! Great city ! Great hotel !!

Room Tip: Back of hotel would be quiet but you'd miss all the fun & excitement of the street!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emmcov
Reviewed May 21, 2012

What a nice encounter I have. I forgot my iPhone when I check out, n the hotel ppl immediately ring up my Fren who booked the room n came out in her bike to return me my phone.. They are absolutely honest!

The room was big n clean.. I enjoyed ny stay here n would recommend u guys to stay over here too!!

• Stayed: May 2012
5  Thank Jojo0117
Reviewed May 20, 2012

A last minute booking for a Friday night, and we were so lucky to get this. Best location, friendly, comfortable, and the characterful karaoke right outside! I usually dislike loud music, but somehow this added to the flavour of staying in this atmospheric property on the heart of Chinatown. Would definitely repeat the experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melinda L
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Situated in the most ideal location! Really great rooms with very comfortable beds... the bathrooms are good but probably not great for elderly or handicapped visitors because the shower was inside the bathtub... Some people were complaining about the music from the karaoke (on the days that the night market is on, the elderly malaccans come out and sing and dance for each other, so charming) however I found it completely fine. Also it didnt go on past 1030. Breakfast is not included but malacca is the kind of place where its fun to explore especially for cafes! this hotel is highly recommended!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family