“Far exceeded my expectations”

Sunflower Hotel Malacca
Ranked #43 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 9 March 2016

I stayed a week, went to another hotel I had pre-booked and returned for a 5-week stay which I'm in the middle of. I could not be happier. It is bright and cheerful. The staff is terrific. My rooms have been comfortable. Both have had windows looking out onto little garden areas. Lovely. My only hesitation in making this booking was the shared bathrooms, but that has not proven to be a problem. They are scrubbed twice a day and I've only had a couple of instances where the bathroom was in use when I wanted use it. There is a water dispenser available. The neighborhood the hotel is located in is very quiet and has a couple of mini-markets, a post office, a laundromat and several places to eat, although I generally eat at the cafe next door - the Sunrise Cafe. It is a 20 ringgits taxi ride to the malls or Jonker Street. I am writing a book while staying here and find the atmosphere just perfect for relaxation and creativity.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Kathy H

Reviewed 8 February 2016 via mobile

Came here for the 2nd time, with a 1 year old kid this time. It seems like this place is not very kid friendly.

1. Only 1 access card, means my wife and kid have to sit in the dark in the room while I make 3 trips up and down the staircase to carry our things.

2. Only a shower head instead of individual water heater. Unable to hose down my kid but instead have to carry him to the water source.

3. Lack of hot water. Out of the 3 days we were there and 5 times that we bathed, cold water was gushing out instead of warm. When we complained over the phone to reception, the guy said it's because many people were using and the water didn't have time to heat up. When we complained upon checking out, the lady said no one complained and we didn't know how to operate the water tap.

This has been a decent place which improved over the years. They renovated the cafe and served decent food, and improved on security. However I'm afraid this will be the last time we're heading there unless if they've somehow fixed the hot water issue.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Gan Y
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

I stayed here a night, which turned into a week. The staff were friendly, the room was clean and quiet and well equipped.

The place is far enough away from town that it's quiet, but close enough that you can walk to good restaurants.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Brad H
Reviewed 6 September 2015 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 3days 2nights. Well, its just a short trip with my wife and twins. There's a few things that maybe can help you out if you are thinking on getting this hotel.

1. Must have your own transport to travel around Melaka.
2. Must have GPS if you not familiar with the area.
3. The hotel far from city. At least about 15-20mins.Depends on traffic also.
Travelled around with my car . Don't even see any taxi around hotel.
4. Booked a family room. Pictures can be deceiving, but kinda small for a family room.
5. No lift available. Staircase very steep. Be careful.
6. No laundry available. But just beside the hotel a laundry shop available. Charge you 1kg - RM2.50. CHEAP RIGHT.....
7. not many restaurant around hotel. Need to drive out to main road. Some seafood restaurants available.
8. A few mini marts around.

1. Room clean
2. Shower pressure great.
3. Air con ok
4. Tv channels ok
5. Parking available just in front and behind of hotel.
6. Breakfast very budget variety.
7. Quiet at night.

Dislike
1. No room clock
2. Small family room
3. No window.
4. No safe box.
5. Not enough Hangers.
6. Breakfast not top up 40mins before time.
7. No toiletries provided.
8. I don't feel welcome during my check in time. No smile at all.
Check out more worst... Im the one that say thank you to her.

Overall it was a good experience in the hotel. You can try but ensure u must be prepared with transportation.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank romeo_nvr_die
Reviewed 4 August 2015 via mobile

Taxi driver knew of the hotel but couldn't find it easy. He had to call a colleague who directed him n we finally got there.
Night shift concierge were so nice&friendly. Room was clean. Spacious enough. TV had a problem for my first night so thts a bummer (though that problem got fixed). During the night we could hear fire crackers/fireworks, that wasn't funny since we had a long journey n were finally getting to rest abit.
The internet is ok but it goes off after awhile. Each time u have to insert the voucher number into the system. Sometimes it works n sometimes it doesn't n have to keep trying over n over again or then u have to get a new one n start the whole process again. Not fun. This gets annoying and tiring.
Next day we asked around for the nearest bus station from the day shift reception they said it was far though they seemed not sure themselves. Thankfully we met Ganesh at the sunrise cafe who was so kind enough to give us directions.
It(the Ujong Pasir bus station)'s actually about 10minutes walk from the hotel. Its so cost effective coz both the taxi(RM 20) n the hotel shuttle(RM15) are abit pricy for just one way. Taking bus no. 17 (Panorama MS-Ujong Pasir) from Ujong Pasir we paid RM2 to Melaka Sentral [~15mins] then from there to Dutch Square(all major attractions here) RM 2[~15mins] and for our return journey from Dutch square back to Ujong Pasir [~15mins] we paid RM1.3. Also u have to be patient coz the bus takes its time to come (though it's supposed to be there in intervals of 30-40mins) but for us it was worth it.
Suggestions to management:
*please have the workers be more informed about the other means of transportation. Not only avail taxi n hotel shuttle options but also avail the public bus option for guests that would be interested as was in the case for me& my friends
*if u could also avail/draw a simple map from the hotel to the bus station(no.17 MS-Ujong Pasir). Its not that far at all as its about 10mins walk from the hotel n i guess many of us travellers would prefer it. Broaden our travel experience in Melaka.
*please improve on the way we the guests can connect to the wifi more easily. Inputting the voucher number every after an hour was frustrating.
Overall we enjoyed our stay there. Big thanks to Wan. He and his colleagues ensured our comfort at the hotel. The experience in Melaka was so worth it. Terima Kasih.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank KIM B
Reviewed 3 August 2015

Here is the place for those who like quiet environment. Everything in good condition. Lack off -
Only 2 hair dryer in this hotel. People with long hair that wished to wash hair, pls bring ur own hair dryer. Quite a distance from Jonker Street, own transport is a must.

Strength - Strong and free wifi provided. Near to Portuguese village where u can find delicious seafood and seaview.
Breakfast - Western and Malaysian food provided.

Room Tip: wifi strength superb.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2015

For me the primary appeal of this hotel was that it was NOT centrally located, and thus in a more quiet area with fewer tourists. The taxi driver from Melaka Sentral bus terminal had a bit of trouble finding the place until I pulled up Google Maps and started reading the names of all of the nearby streets and buildings. The post office in the strip mall across the street is a good landmark to mention, I think.

I thought the front desk staff was quite friendly and helpful. I was less pleased with the service in the adjacent restaurant, which is definitely affiliated with the hotel to some extent. The first morning they said I was not on the list of people who had paid for breakfast even though it was clear on my booking. After consulting with the front desk, they gave me the all-clear and I was good to eat.

The breakfast offerings were very different each morning I was there - the first morning I went down about 40 minutes before the end of breakfast service and there was nothing left except three rolls, some watermelon, and some plain rice. I was starving so I took two of the rolls, and the couple that came down a few minutes after me had to split the last roll between them. The second day there was a more generous buffet spread and even an omelette station set up outside. This was the best day. The third day was similar to the first day, except I woke up a bit earlier so I was able to get some eggs, too. I also took a couple of apples from a basket on the buffet, and was very taken aback when the staff attendant came up and told me that I had to pay an extra charge and that the apples were not included with breakfast. I told him this was ridiculous since there was no sign making this clear and the basket of apples was right next to all of the other food (er... empty trays that had probably been cleared by the first 10 guests to come down for breakfast that morning). In the end I tossed the apples back in the basket, and the experience left a sour taste in my mouth.

The room itself was fine, air conditioning worked great. The room was small, but had a TV with a few channels and the bed was okay. There were plenty of (shared) shower and toilet cubicles that were cleaned regularly. Water pressure was good in the shower. If you want to charge things next to your bed you need the UK-style adapter that I suppose is the default throughout Malaysia, but in the corner of the room there was one outlet that also accepted the standard Asian plug type.

Wifi signal was adequate but not amazing.

I did not avail myself of the "free shuttle service" mentioned in the brochure, nor did any of the staff mention it to me, but I did rent one of their bicycles which I found to be a great way to explore the area for the day. The first bike they brought out had non-functioning brakes and a basket that was about to fall off, but after I paid they went around the back and brought out another bike which was in better condition.

It was only about 15-20 minutes to get in to the main tourist area of Melaka. You can also ride ~5 minutes to a quiet little park by the Strait of Malacca where many locals go to fish or canoodle with their significant others.

There is no laundry service at the hotel, but there is a place that does laundry in the same strip mall... they never opened on the day I was there, though, so I had to take my laundry to a coin laundry closer to the center of town.

There also aren't many options for food in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, except for a couple of minimarts and a pair of small restaurant/coffee shops that were packed with locals and not especially welcoming. There is a local outdoor food court about 10 minutes away by bicycle which was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend the hotel restaurant for dinner, the staff member working at night wasn't especially friendly either, and I ended up eating nothing but a small and overpriced portion of flavorless spaghetti...

I probably won't be returning to Melaka, but if I did I'd probably choose to stay somewhere a bit more central...

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo