“DONT GO HERE!! - Take note of the bad reviews!!”
Review of Mana Island Resort

Mana Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This resort is like a bad nightmare!! From the depressed people gathered around the swimming pool each evening (no doubt wondering why they paid so much to be there!) to the people walking out of the "restauraunts" (so called) in disgust because the food, if available (much of it wasn't when we were there-despite the ferry ariving several times a day)- is bloody terrible, and my expectations were certainly not high having been to Fiji before.
The resort is old, run down, the staff are bloody useless, even for Fijians, and give you the feeling you're certainly not wanted there. We left early before we were even half way through our stay and stayed at the Outrigger (a great place by the way), and I've never done that before in my life.DO YOUSELF A FAVOUR AND DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Matt P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I'm afraid I am going to be repeating a few reviews here but I was really concerned after reading the negative reviews as they were quite concerning. I was very worried if I had made the right decision to stay here. We all have our different opinions and are "thank goodness" free to express them. For me personally, I cannot say enough good things about Mana Island. I stayed in the Island Bure and was thinking of upgrading, but honestly it was clean, comfortable and in the middle of everything. Staff were friendly and lovely. Meals were lovely in both restuarants. If I was to make a two observations, one, would be I would not like to be there in peak season, I think the pool area is small and would be crowded, but you do have all the beaches to spead out and two, the flies at the south beach restuarant were everywhere and annoying. (and hey Im searching hard to find a complaint, so if they are my worst , they cant be doing to much wrong as everthing else was so enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank snoopy68_11
Reviewed 23 February 2012

When we finally got to Mana - we sort of understood why the reviews of Mana go from one extreme to the other. I guess it's all to do with expectations. The buildings in Mana Island Resort are run down and dated and there isn't that international "resort" feel to it but it is a casual, comfortable, clean and very family friendly place. We found that the buffet offered enough variety so that we could always find something we liked and the backpackers was a really nice place to go for a change when we didn't feel like gorging ourselves. We stayed in an Island Bure which was small but adequate for us (2 adults & 1 kid). The different accommodation options on offer would suit different tastes and budgets - I found the accommodation tips I read on this site before we went really helpful. We were lucky to get a single bure as opposed to a duplex one and figured that we could do without a view to save some bucks. No bed bugs but there were heaps of mosquitos when we went. Saw some cockroaches but it's the tropics after all - the resort didn't feel or look dirty (cockroach at the buffet of fancy resort in Denarau too !).

Never got to snorkel at North Beach - it was always too rough due to the season (Feb). I dunno how to rate the snorkelling at South Beach compared to other sites in the world but it was great for our 5 y.o. - safe and interesting for his first time looking under the sea.

All in all, we had a lovely time in Fiji. It's not a cheap place to travel to but there are good deals to be found. We found Mana great value and perfect for a family with young kids who have got to watch the budget a bit.

6  Thank Oldmum66
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at Mana for a week and loved it. We have

Are the facilities brand spanking new? No.

Was the food the best we ever had (a la Mexico all inclusive)? No.

Would we encourage any family to go? Absolutely.

We read a few reviews of people who hated it.... We think those are the kind of people who will never be pleased.

If you going with your family, we think you will find the regular standard island bure too cramped. We originally organized that but upon arrival we mused the hot stuffy cramped conditions would spoil our holiday so we decided to spend another 150 Fiji dollars per day for the ocean front units. Awesome choice. 2 story, 2. Balcony, 40 meters across grass to beach, near kids club (also AWESOME>. Kids loved that.. Plenty of room with 2 bathrooms. Best decision we made.

The staff are all wonderful and in terms of other intel to help your decision we met a family from Goldcoast Australia that frequent Fiji and they reckoned it was the best around for proximity to Nadi.

The reef is excellent. Plenty of fish and we saw other interesting characters including turtles, rays and a few harmless sharks.

If you want the Bahia Principe on the Mayan Riveria, donT come as it won't meet your standards. But if you want an excellent holiday with not too many people around with decent facilities, decent food, and excellent staff go for it.

We also recommend a family get the adult meal plan as kids eat for free.

Enjoy and Vanake!

Room Tip: Families forget the island Bure. Go for the ofront view units (2 story block facing south island)
10  Thank Carey B
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I went here for the first leg of my honeymoon (2nd being Australia) from the US. Although I wouldnt rate this the ideal honeymoon resort, it definitely is family friendly with a full line up of events for the family.

I did not go to the buffet everyday as it was a tad bit expensive (the US dollar does not go as far as the Australian dollar). Food was fine but I also enjoyed going to the backyarders hostel for food and some cheaper beer. One of the staff warned me not to go there but we immediately disobeyed.

The beaches were uncrowded which was great. We stayed in an island bure which was cleaned everyday. Its kinda neat to shower outdoors when its raining. We did get a bug or two in the room, but nobody minded; You are on an exotic island and we expected this.

Room Tip: We tried to beg to get a honeymoon bure, as it was our honeymoon, but to no avail !
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank awong99124
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was our first trip to Fiji and first time holiday with our 2 1/2 year old daughter. We have been to relaxing beach holidays a few times in Thailand and around Australia but opted for Fiji for the 3 1/2 hour flight from Brisbane.
After reading the reviews on trip advisor we stocked up on snacks from home and bought bottles of water, milk and yoghurt from Denarau. We also bought the meal plan for breakfast and dinner which suited us perfectly as we ate way too much at each sitting which carried us through. So while on the subject, overall we found the food to be pretty good. Breakfast had a huge variety. We particularly liked the egg nest which meant that we could get poached eggs just the way we liked it - loads of fresh fruit too which was good. We ate at both the buffet and booked the south beach restaurant for the other nights. Service was fanastic at both restaurants and staff were very attentive. There was an abundance of seafood, meat and vegetarian options. My only gripe was that childrens meals weren't very nutritious and the fish and chicken were battered and fried. Some plain (without sauces and herbs 'generously' added to them) steamed veges would have been nice. But overall it was pretty good and we wouldn't complain (although my husband would have been in heaven if he could have had a good espresso but we never got this in Thailand either even staying in 5 star).
We booked an island bure for 3 nights and the ocean front suite for 5 nights but when we got to the island they had upgraded us to the ocean front suite. I was actually looking forward to the outdoor shower and 'island' feel of the bure. The ocean front suites were located on South beach and were huge, too big for just the three of us - they were clean but lacked the distinct island feel we were looking for. However they were located right on the beach which had the best snorkelling i have ever seen. We were amazed that only 30 metres from the shore you could experience such awesome sights. Handy when you've got a little one too, and some of the tropical fish swam close enough for her to see which was a real bonus.
After a stroll to check out the honeymoon bures we asked if we could upgrade to these as they were just what we were looking for - private right on the beach, traditional Fijian style bures with added extra such as a bathroom garden and spa, and came with own golf buggy. They were excellent and we truly took a deep breath and felt completely relaxed and on Fiji time whilst we stayed here. The island is truly beautiful and our holiday was like a slice of heaven.
We used the kids club and the mei mei (for children under 3) for a couple of hours a few days to get in some couple time - the best massages we have had was a Fijian Bobo at the spa and our daughter loved being with the kids and going hunting for hermit crabs. We had heard Fijians love kids but honestly they really do.
We loved the fact there was no TV or phones as we wanted an island holiday otherwise we could have just stayed at any old hotel at the Gold Coast or on Fiji main island. Internet was expensive so we only used it a couple of times.
The staff were amazing and the people were beautiful - we especially enjoyed visiting the local village and school, taking some supplies for the kids.
We're sold on Fiji and will definitely return for another holiday.

Room Tip: Honeymoon bure was amazing
25  Thank Mel T
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have been to Fiji 4 times and stayed at several different islands. We have chosen to re-book and return to Mana Island later this year.
We found the staff and kids club were very friendly and welcoming. The buffet had a lot of different choices, the snorkelling was amazing, the pools were great although we chose to swim in the crystal clear waters most days.
We stayed in an island bure with an outdoor shower which was very different. The island bures are only small although it is only to sleep in.
We found it a lot cheaper to walk a few minutes to the local village to buy soft drinks, snacks and lunches. Hair braiding and massages is also 1/3 of the price.
We look forward to returning this year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
#3 of 3 in Malolo Lailai Island
7.2 km away
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
29.8 km away
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
30.1 km away
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!