1,050 results
All reviews kids club kids pool meal plan bush walk outer reef fish pizza bar family holiday beach bure main beach swim up bar north side meal package a la carte banana boat young kids desalination plant
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We recently returned from 7 wonderful nights at Castaway with our two boys (6&4). You simply can not fault the resort in anyway, the staff, the food, the accomodation, kids pool are second to none, from the minute we arrived we felt at home and on holidays. We stayed in an oceanfront Bure and it’s worth the little extra. We had Bure 29 on the south beach (it’s the best side) and would highly recommend it, or 33, 37 or 35 if you are with young kids. They are close to everything and the sunset and breeze at night completely take the heat out of sleeping. We also had the meal plan which is a must and allows you to dine at any of the restaurants whenever you feel like it. We booked a nanny (Mary is amazing) every night for the kids so we had our own dinner which was a real treat. All in all incredible cannot speak highly enough of castaway and will be back. Also highly recommend a day trip to the island where the movie Castaway was filmed.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank adam s
Steven A, General Manager at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2018

Bula Adam S
Thank you for choosing to post a review of your time with us. We are indeed humbled by your comments and it is extremely gratifying to note to you found little fault with all we had to offer.
It is good to see that you opted for the meal plan. This plan is the better option as it gives you access to any of our four outlets, thus enabling you to try all the different menus on offer. Our Executive Chef, Markus Nufer, together with his team work tirelessly to come up with menus that are not only appealing to the palate but also gives you value for your money.
We are truly grateful for your review and more so for your recommendations. We thank you for choosing to holiday on our Barefoot island and we look forward to when we can welcome you back home.
Vinaka
The Castaway Family.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I would like to express my gratitude to the wonderful staff on castaway island. My family just spent last week on the island and it was our second stay, the first time was for the New Years 2013-14. We live in minnesota and suffice it to say the travel getting to fiji is a little arduous. The fact that we returned says it all...this place is totally worth it. My 6 year old had the time of her life and the crew working the kids club are just fantastic. The guys at the dive shop are also unbelievable. I had received my Padi license by Veresa (the lead dive master) in 2013 but had not dived since my original certification (I have the utmost respect for Veresa). Josh another dive master recognized my anxiety and excitement getting back into the water. He made me feel comfortable and handheld me through my refresher dive. My anxiety melted away like ice cubes in the hot Fijian sun. My dives were awesome and anxiety free. He guided me with respect/professionalism and should be commended as he is an asset to their team. Unfortunately the weather deteriorated on the last 2 days of our stay so more dives were out of the question. Then cyclone Josie formed just outside our island and the systems extreme weather bands hit us on the last night of our stay. The staff is clearly prepared for this sort of thing. We were reassured by their constant communication and how well they worked with us in helping us to get back to the airport. Overall a truly memorable trip for many reasons. The trip back to the airport was another adventure in and of itself due to flooding. Steven (General Manager), thank your amazing staff for me and my family. I commend you on a truly excellent resort you are running.

As an aside, the take home message for anyone considering this as a resort for your dream vacation location....go!!!!! The staff are the warmest, most genuine people I have encountered. They smile not because they are told to smile, but because they are truly happy people. Just amazing.

David W.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa O

Bula David W & Lisa O
Thank you for choosing to post a review of your recent holiday with us.
We are extremely humbled by your comments about your time on the island and we are grateful that in your eyes, we delivered as promised!
Thank you for your comments about our dive team, they will be glad to hear that you were not disappointed at all. True – the weather was not on our side however, we take pride in knowing that you and your family felt safe in our care. We have had our fair share of natural disasters and though each situation is different and outcomes unexpected, we are glad that we were able to keep our family safe during the worst of it.
Thank you for your mention of our hosts. They are undoubtedly our best assets. They are one of the main reasons why guests return to our shores year after year. It’s like coming home. They have the innate ability to make one feel instantly at ease and the friendliness and warmth that was extended to you is genuine and comes naturally to our hosts. They do indeed ‘Smile not because they are told to’ but because they are happy.
We cannot thank you enough for your review and recommendation and we look forward to when we can welcome you back home.
The Castaway Family

Reviewed April 4, 2018

This is the only review in my life. I am truly disappointed since the arrival.
This is not as "family" as they said, we do not feel it that way at least. (Maybe because we are Asian).
The decor is old, dirty, not up to standard. The food is average. But who cares...
This is only a resort for the parents to get away from the kids for some privacy time. LOL.
Did not expect to spend that much of money on a resort which staffs do not even know how to respect people.

Room Tip: book in and say you are not Asian
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank skc444

Dear SKC44
Thank you for choosing to post a review of your recent stay with us. It is most unfortunate that you did not enjoy your time here on Castaway. We wish to assure you that ethnicity or nationality does not in any way determine how you are treated while here on our Barefoot island. I have to add that I am also quite surprised with your comments as you will not from the other hundreds of reviews on this platform, it is quite the opposite of your experience.
We have upgraded ALL our bures including internal refurbishment and we are continuing with structural improvements around the property.
We treat all our guests as family and our hosts are usually described as the friendliest of people and to hear that you did not feel this is very disappointing.
We can only hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in Fiji.
The Castaway Family.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Besides the location, the number one thing that makes Castaway amazing is the people. We have traveled all around the world and have never met friendlier, more sincere people from the ALL employees! From the time you are greeted on the beach with a welcome song, to the time you say goodbye with tears in your eyes, you feel as if you are among family.

We traveled with a group of 10, from grandparents to two teenage children. Since we all had different interests, we all loved Castaway for different reasons. We arrived from Denarau via ferry and it took about 45 minutes to an hour.
On the way there it was beautiful and we loved seeing all the scenery, but on the way back it was a torrential downpour and quite rough. However, it was fairly quick and painless. If you are stuck at Denarau Marina waiting for the ferry (only comes three times a day) there are lots of shops with surprisingly reasonable prices. There is a grocery store and you can buy beer and spirits to take to your island if desired. There is a great place to eat called Cardo's with great food and the cheapest beer we had all week (split the longneck size).

We were in bures 47, 45, 43, and 29 which were on the seawall side. Initially, we were disappointed to not be on the beach side with all the activities, but we found the seawall side to be quiet, peaceful, and less windy. We had a bure for myself, my husband and our two children and it suited our needs perfectly. We loved having a separate area for the twin beds, and bathroom and thoroughly enjoyed our front porch. The hotel provides hairdryers, robes, and shampoo and we also loved having USB outlets by the bed.

We enjoyed pizza several days for lunch at the Sundowner and would especially recommend the Masala Prawn pizza. Sisi and Jogi were so friendly and we loved getting to know them. In the main bar area, Monica was one of the first people we met. It felt like we had known her forever and throughout our stay she made us feel special, including when she sang us a goodbye song as we boarded the ferry. In the main dining room, Atu and Uraia were some of our favorites waiters, and Atu even came to say goodbye to us when he was leaving the island for his few days off. Aseri welcomed us everyday when we arrived, and knew all our names from the very beginning. We ate at the main dining room (Edgewater?) several times and especially loved the Edgewater pasta with prawns, the ribs, the heavenly beef, and the prawn appetizer. Mary, who served us in the main dining room for breakfast was so sweet and the breakfast buffet more than met our needs. We were never able to eat at the 1808 due to weather, but we did get to order off the 1808 menu one night and it was wonderful. We also celebrated our daughter's birthday the first day we arrived and we bought a cake for her. The staff sang happy birthday and also decorated the area, including our bure with balloons, and special features. We did the meal plan and would definitely recommend it!

We had our laundry done and thought it was very reasonable. My daughter also got her hair braided in our room, and while we didn't get the lady's name, she was friendly and told us a lot of information about the island.

We did the bush walk one morning and would definitely recommend it. It took about an hour and provided scenic views. If you go, bring tennis shoes, or Keens/Chachos, and apply bug spray! I'd also recommend applying bug spray to your legs at night at dinner as several family members got bites on their calves and ankles. We kayaked around the island which took about an hour, and some family members walked around the island at low tide. We snorkeled and saw tons of fish, and a few reef sharks. The equipment provided by Castaway is in great condition.

If you have hungry kiddos like we do, I would recommend bringing a few snacks because the meals take awhile to get, and there aren't a lot of other snack options. We were a little disappointed that the ice cream isn't part of the meal plan, unless it is ordered with the meal. At past all-inclusives you could go get ice cream whenever you wanted. I would recommend management changing this because ice cream would be free if we ordered a mid-day meal only for the ice cream. We didn't do this but it just doesn't make sense to not include ice cream outside of a meal.

We truly enjoyed our time at Castaway, and the only thing we would change would have been the last 2 1/12 days of rain, and the 11 hour flight from LA to get there. :)

Thank you Castaway and all the amazing employees for making this a once in a lifetime vacation for our family.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank saucey23
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

We just returned after nearly 24 hours travel back to the US. We had a great time at this little piece of family paradise. The staff was wonderful with us and our kids. We traveled with an 8 year and 12 year old with special needs. The kids club was great, and the baby sitter for our older son was wonderful (and cheap)...a nice way for Mom and Dad to enjoy a kid free dinner a few nights. GET THE MEAL PLAN! It’s worth every penny, but they do charge for pretty much all drinks, including sodas. The wood fire pizza restaurant was perfect for lunch every day. The 1808 (adults only) was outstanding. Lots for everyone to do, but you might want to spend some money on an outer reef snorkeling trip or fishing trip if you get island fever. We took the ferry from Denareau (main port, about 15 minutes from the airport); ferry takes 1-2 hours depending on stops. The staff here is truly fabulous; always helpful, and they remember all the kids names.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Steven A, General Manager at Castaway Island Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2018

Bula DavidandPatrickLive
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your holiday with us straight after your long flight back home!
We are pleased to read that the whole family loved your Castaway Island holiday.
Thank you for appreciating our kids club hosts, the activities and the care they provide to the kids.
Yes, I agree our meal plans are a value for money and I too recommend guests to take up this plan.
We have very high duty and clearance charges on alcohol beverages in Fiji and the added costs of transportation to the island can make our beverage prices seem high. However compared with other island properties our prices compare but in some cases much cheaper.
Our hosts are second to none and thank you for appreciating them.
We look forward to welcoming you and the family back to island in the not too distance future.
The Castaway Family