“Run down paradise”

Treasure Island Resort
Brisbane, Australia
“Run down paradise”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I decided to give it a bit after my return from Treasure Island before writing this review, or it could have turned out a bit more emotional like most others. I knew very well I was going to a 3.5star resort and in no way had high expectations, however what I experienced was well below this rating.
The location of the resort is lovely, closer group of islands to the mainland, beautiful small flat coral island (unlike Malolo or Mana, which are a lot larger), mature gardens providing lots of shade and great snorkelling (the corals do seem to be 80% dead, but there's a lot of new growth and the number of fish shows it's restoring itself). The beach was a bit of a disappointment, as the east side of the island was very rocky, the east side was much better with lots of white sand, but both sides had heaps of seaweed, driftwood & other rubbish, which we never saw anyone attempting to rake it in the 5 days we were there. The water was crystal clear and warm, much better swimming in the first part of the day when there is no strong current, as the afternoon breeze brings in waves, seaweed, murky water and reef sharks.
The rooms are tired and desperately need TLC, although I was told that Beachfront bures were recently renovated, they were the same as all other rooms - very, very dated. I booked a Beachfront bure, requesting one located closer to the main restaurant & pool area. Upon arrival we were put on the furthest part of the island. I requested to be moved straight away and was promised the move my dinner time, but nothing happened. So in the morning I've repeated my request, especially because we found out that our neighbours had a young toddler, who cried through most of the night and we had very little sleep. Surprisingly, this time we were moved promptly to the 'better' side of the island, about mid-way, right across from the 'medical clinic'. Both rooms however had their faults: in first room the air-con was extremely noisy and the cover fell off during the night, one of the light bulbs fell out of the socket when turned on, sheets (although washed clean) had old stains of blood, ink and dirt; second room had a shower head that kept falling off and was covered in mineral deposits from the water, so some of the holes were completely blocked, the toilet smelled of sewage and sheets were also stained. Both rooms had no fly screens on the doors, many chipped tiles on the floor, tired furniture and no consistency of hot/cold water, as it took at least 7-10 minutes for the hot water to get hot, some days it never got hot at all, and the water temperature was impossible to control as it kept changing every time you took a shower going from freezing cold to scolding hot. Beds were large and quite comfortable (mattresses looked new), but the baby cot we got in our room looked like it was used for 10 years and never been washed – filthy, disgusting. Loungers on the veranda and the hammock were probably used most during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed.
The main resort facility was the saltwater pool complex – two adjoining infinity pools with lagoon-style beach and two plunge pools. These were the most popular spot with everyone on the island, so always quite crowded and got a bit dirty by the end of the day, but were spotlessly clean again in the morning.
The restaurant was below average – looked quite miserable with old furniture, sarongs on the walls as a sad attempt at a decor and fans that did not make any air movement – most of the time it was sweltering hot inside, so you were in a hurry to eat and leave. Hot buffet breakfast was just average, never changed the selection, the food was edible, but quite tasteless. Several a-la-carte dinner meals were pretty good, but again very little variety and change in night to night menus. BBQ night buffet on Sat is a waste of money. Monday Lovo buffet is much better, had a few tasty morsels and is recommended as a change from your a-la-carte. Overall, the quality of food was good, fresh (which is very important in Fiji), but very boring, pretty bland tasting and quite expensive (of course, you have no choice as you’re on the island). Drinks were also expensive, cocktails were terrible, they all tasted the same with HEAPS of Grenadine or Coconut cream or vanilla ice-cream (with practically no alcohol content what-so-ever). The only drink that was worth having was local beer, Fiji Gold, on tap, which pretty much everyone was drinking.
The staff... well, I kept asking myself, am I really in Fiji?? Where’re the acclaimed Fijian friendliness and smiles?? The forced ‘Bulas’ were not a bit genuine, and the smile disappeared as soon as you asked for something, making us feel guilty we were bothering them. Restaurant service was slow, especially if the restaurant was getting more than half full. Most times I had to go to the bar myself to get the drinks. The housekeeping turned up only twice to clean our room in our 5 day stay. Sheets were not changed for the duration, and there were not clean towels the second time around. The gardeners seemed to be sitting down chatting to each other more than they were raking up the leaves. Staff always seemed to be hanging out in groups of at least two (in reception, shop, restaurant, dive shop, ect), so they could chat to each other, most times, especially at the dive shop, you had to wait a while for them to finish talking to notice you. Cultural programs (Kava ceremony, hat weaving) seemed rushed, as if the staff were so bored having to do it over and over again and couldn’t wait to be done with it.
Kids club seemed to be very popular and all kids looked like they were enjoying the activities. Out toddler was a bit young to join, so we had babysitter arranged for a few nights so we could enjoy a quiet dinner. The babysitter was nice and attentive, took our daughter to the Kids Club and even dressed her up for the Fiji dance show. The only downside is that you had to pay for the minimum of 3 hours even if you didn’t need that much time. We found this very frustrating – we only usually needed 1-2 hours, but had to pay for 3 in cash directly to the babysitter. The cost was FJ$9 per hour, which is strategically so that you don’t have the correct change every time and have to pay more as they won’t have change. FJ$27 (approx. AU$16) isn’t much money, but we then stayed in Sofitel in Denarau and they had babysitting service at FJ$8 and you paid for what you used (we’re talking 5-star resort here).
Overall, our stay was mostly pleasant, as we were adamant to have a good holiday no matter what. We greatly enjoyed the beach, sea, snorkelling and the chance of relaxing and do nothing. But with all the facilities and service lacks above, we struggled to enjoy all 5 days of our stay. I think 3 days/2 nights would be more than plenty in this resort at the state that it’s currently in. Unfortunately, I cannot give it 3.5 stars as it rates itself and by tour agents, at the moment it’s more like 2.5. However I did hear that they just appointed a new general manager and hopefully all of the operations are overhauled. Currently I cannot say that I would like to return to Treasure Island, as for a little extra on top of what I paid I can go to Castaway or Malolo, which seem a lot nicer and get much better reviews.

Room Tip: - West side of the island has a much better beach, east side is very rocky, dirty and the gardens do...
1 Thank Jeisre
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Bula Jeisre,

Really enlightening reading. Thanks for the feedback. I've now been on board for a couple of weeks and take on board all you have commented on.

Thank you for the well wishes on the job ahead.

Having just made it through some of the most trying times on the resort with the recent Tropical Depression and Cyclone mostly unscathed, it is now time to revisit areas you have raised as a concern and also begin the hundred and one other projects which present themselves daily on an island paradise.

Time will tell if we can successful tackle historical concerns and I am confident that we will see reviews turning the corner. Please keep an eye on us on Tripadvisor as we work towards improved standards... who knows? Maybe you’ll be able to return one day and give us equally important feedback on the changes you will see.

Vinaka Vakalevu!!

Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mooloolaba
Reviewed 15 March 2012

It had been 30 years since we visited Treasure Island and decided to return in Mar 2012.

Mother nature had simply destroyed one side of the islands beach, real shame, but no attempt
while we were there to relocate us or clean the beach.

Room had a blocked out door shower, untiled veranda, broken door lock, broken shower
fittings and rusted spouting that spewed water right on the door way.

Meals were average, staff tried to be happy but simply were not and this showed throught.

We had come from the Outrigger and the couple next door quizzed us about it. we told them, spend the little extra and go to the Outrigger 600% better.

If our Travel agent had of selected this we would have demanded a refund but we chose it and have to live with the mistake.

We checked out 2 days early, will never return.

Room Tip: Dont go until the place has a complete shutdown and is renovated.
5 Thank muzza2235
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Bula,

You are correct in that mother nature has relocated some of the sand on the island and some areas are currently rocky. However it is expected that shortly the sand will return as what mother nature takes she usually returns and it is a natural cycle on coral islands for sand to move around.

We are currently installing additional fire fighting hydrants around the island and this has made some areas a little "untidy" as we carry out this necessary work. This will be completed in the next week or so and we can then return the gardens to the normal look.

I offer my apologies that we did not meet your holiday expectations and hope that you will one day return to see that we have restored Treasure to the way you expect.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed in an ocean front Bure which was nice enough. Our net curtain fell down and after 3 days of registering requests to have it put back up - we gave up.
The restaurant is just plain bad, nothing much good at all to say here - service was slow and definitely not with a smile and the food was ok to poor.
The general state of disrepair on the island was the biggest concern - toilet facilities literally falling apart, the odd tables and chairs in the restaurant which dont fit together....?.
The kids loved the kids club which by far was the best part of the island.
For the money we paid we could have gone to a much nicer hotel in Fiji.

4 Thank Relaxed762
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Bula,

Thank you for your feedback and can I apologise for the maintenance department not taking prompt action on the scrim curtain in your bure. This is not acceptable and staff have been spoken to about this and we will work very hard to ensure that maintenance items are responded to as soon as possible.
The Resort is not brand new; you are correct; but we are working hard to ensure that everything is kept fresh and in working condition. Many of our guests like the fact that we are not all modern and chrome and glass but built in a more traditional style.
Our restaurant tries very hard to appeal to all types and tastes and offers a range of food and beverages to meet demand. We are trying new recipes to keep up with trends.
Our Kids Club is constantly receiving rave reviews and I will pass on your comments to the staff involved.
We apologise for not meeting your expectations on your trip.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Perfect family holiday. We had 7 nights with our girls 5 and 2. Bures were clean and functional with plenty of privacy. It felt like we had our own piece of island with every bure having a good garden area, hammock, beach area. I could let my toddler sleep at lunch time and even have a quick dip knowing I could see the room or just hang out in the air conditioning or hammock. We stopped at the turtles and iguanas most days on the way to the restaurant.
Before we went I was someone who was unsure about using kids club but my 5 yr olds enthusiasm had me overcoming any ambivalence. Tui was fantastic and worked very hard entertaining all the 5 year old girls. Would be plenty for older kids to do too. Parents are able to go along and watch any activities if you feel you want to keep an eye on them (like the banana ride behind the boat or swimming activities). The two year sometimes went to kids club in the evening with a baby sitter (about $16 AU a night) so we could have a quiet meal for a change.
Facilities - most rooms are renovated and the others being done, I saw new mattresses delivered. Pool beautiful and bar area relaxed with stunning scenery. Restaurant was like a "blast from the past" but fine. Kids menu was enjoyed by our kids, lunch and dinner great food, hot breakfast could be better.
I suspect many reviews are a bit emotive as it is hard not to feel touched by the friendliness of staff. The Fijians are not like any others and their good will seems genuine (which I have to say I didn't feel when we visited the other resorts on the busy Denaru).
I had the misfortune of an accident while there and the staff went to great extents to get us all back to the mainland as quickly as possible. The island nurse stayed with us all day, was invaluable at the hospital and didn't leave us until we were safely in another hotel for the night. Thank you

Room Tip: Probably would choose a room in high 50's as they are close to restaurant and have the most sand...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank holiday152
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Bula Holiday152,

You certainly identified one of the great attractions of Fiji in general and of Treasure in particular and that is the true warmth and friendly nature of the staff and the people of Fiji.

We are certainly very lucky that we have very lush vegetation on the island as it helps to keep everything cooler when you move to away from the sand and water to the shade of the trees.

Our kids club staff really create a bond with the members who participate and everyone gets a great thrill out of the activities and our desire to pass on a bit of Fijian culture.

Everyone here was greatly relieved to get the report back from our nurse that you were well and she was very pleased to be able to assist you. Treasure is one of the few Island Resorts that has a nurse on island 24/7 and this can be very comforting for guests especially those with young children.

All the staff look forward to welcoming you and your family back home to Treasure Island.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Bula - Treasure Island we love you! Having visited in 2009 and again in 2011 we can't wait to get back. Whilst some would say old, we'd say rustic. that is the charm of the place. We noticed the gradual changes between 2009 and 2011 - the Bures, pool decking, beach walls. The Bure we recently stayed in had been upgraded and was lovely. Cleaned every day by beautiful house keeping staff who left flowers daily, which the kids loved to find.

Returning to Treasure is certainly like going home. We recognised alot of staff who in turn recognised us. Many staff have been working at Treasure for a long period of time, one big happy family. It was great to see familiar faces and to catch up with them again. All the staff were great from housekeeping, gardeners, spa, dining, drink and reception staff.

Kids club was fantastic. Lots of activities to keep our girls entertained. The staff were gorgeous. They did more activities then the adults! From t-shirt painting, banana boat rides, treasure hunts, feeding turtles and hat weaving!

If you are after a holiday where you do NOTHING but relax, either by the gorgeous horizon pool or on the beach, where you can relax in hammocks dotted around the island or on the sun lounges on the beach front in front of your Bures, where you dine on yummy food (tuna steaks daily!! for us), where staff are like family, where there are no phones or TV to disturb your peace, then this is the place for you!! (There are also activities if you are so inclined).

Arrr pure bliss, Vinaka!

Room Tip: There really isn't a lot of difference between the Ocean view Bures and the Island Bures - excep...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank smeaa
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Bula Smeaa,

Thank you for taking the time to write on your recent experiences at Treasure. Yes we have been gradually changing things over the years as we try to update the Resort without losing its charm and homely feeling. We do have some members of staff who have been with us for a long time and they bring with them a wealth of knowledge on the history and characters that have been associated with Treasure. Fijian staff do have the most amazing ability to remember staff who have stayed with us before and many of our guests do comment that it is like returning home; to be welcomed back by so many people who remember them. The staff also takes great delight is seeing members of the various families grow up and mature over the years of visiting with us.

Your Treasure family looks forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We haven't been to Treasure for 20 years. We used to go every year with our son when he was small. It hasn't had any money spent on it in that time and it will take $250,000 or more to do up the restaurant and surrounding area. It was like a time warp nothing had changed in 20 years. The toilet facilities in the main area were dreadful, old and falling apart as was the decking around the pool. It was dirty, had flies and ants everywhere. On the half day trip lunch is included. A second rate lunch served by unhappy Fijian staff. In its hay day it must have been raking in the money and it should have been ploughed back into the buildings which are just falling apart. The Island was damaged in the recent storms and they have lost a huge amount of the sand off the beaches and there are now only rocks! They have the gall to rate it five star and to ask $500 and more to stay there. Get a life guys! Baby Boomers expect better!!! Do not bother going there, ever!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Pauline1811027
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Bula Pauline,

we are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your half day trip to treasure Island. While it is true that the resort is thirty years old it is in the process of having major upgrades done on it. All our Beachfront and Oceanview Bures will have been upgraded by the end of this month. I am surprised that you felt that the decking around the pool was falling apart as this was just repaired in December. It does look a little unusual at present as you have the new and the old timber side by side and thus it will look a little different until the new timber weathers to look like the old.

We have lost some sand on areas of the beach due to the cyclone strength waves in January but Mother Nature is already returning the sand to the beaches. Some sea wall damage was also caused and this repair along with the thatching of our beach shelters is well underway.

The staff would love to have you return so that they can show you all the improvements that are being done.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

we love Treasure Island. It's like going home. Our last trip was our third and we renewed our vows on the beach for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
We are just about to book to go back again. No it's not five star. There's no TV or radio in the rooms, some of the Bures could do with a lick of paint and a good scrub, and sometimes it quicker to go to the bar and get your own drink than to wait for the dining room staff to bring it, but that's all part of the charm of Treasure Island and the wonderful staff who call themselves "your treasure island family."
I've spent many hours trawling the Internet to find another resort anywhere in Asia or the Pacific, where we could have 5 nights in an air conditioned Bure a few meters from the beach, white sand, snorkelling, a full meal plan, airfares and transfers, a few hours from home for around $3,000, and I can't find one.
We've stayed in the Sheraton on Denaru, and if you want a 5 star international resort at a 5star price you can't go past that, but if you really want to truly relax and experience the wonderful hospitality if the Fijian people and the beauty of a pacific Island........
To roll out of your Bure in the morning and head to a full breakfast buffet, then onto the white sandy beach and wallow in the warm shallow water while the fish nibble on your toes, or spent a few hours snorkelling or kayaking before a smorgasbord lunch, followed by an afternoon nap in the comfort of your air conditioned Bure, or a few hours reading in the hammock.
There's afternoon tea if you want it and "happy hour and a half" when the cocktails flow freely in the bar.
It's then on to the dining room for a three course dinner (which i cant get through, though my husband can)and entertainment by the treasure island band and the church choir. There are always someone to have a drink with if you are a night owl and want to party on and there's always a rugby game on the telly in the bar, and if you really cant live without email or social media for a few days there's wifi in the bar too.
If you prepared to accept that this is really only a 3.5-4 star resort let yourself be seduced by this wonderful island and it's staff you will truly have a 5 star experience

Room Tip: We like the rooms 50 - 60, the beach is nicer on this side of the island
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chezabell58
TreasureIslandAdmin, General Manager at Treasure Island Resort, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Bula,

you will be pleased to know that our Bures are getting a lick of paint to ensure that they are fresh and pleasant for our guests.

Our staff do all call Treasure Island home and try to ensure that our guests also feel part of this family and they are always sad to see you leave. But they are equally glad to welcome you back to enjoy "their" island.

Whilst we never want to lose that island charm we will work on our service delivery to try and ensure that your holiday can be even more relaxing by not having to go to the bar to get your own drinks.

Again we thank you for taking the time to make your thoughts felt.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Island
4.8 km away
Bounty Island Resort
Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Bounty Island
17.1 km away
Castaway Island Fiji
Castaway Island Fiji
#1 of 1 in Castaway Island (Qalito)
15.9 km away
Matamanoa Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matamanoa Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,037 reviews

Been to Treasure Island Resort? Share your experiences!