See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Yes, the 'pirate', his sidekicks (including the family and the children) detracted from the otherwise serene environment and I was just as annoyed about the presence of children as the last reviewer, I did not let it ruin my holiday and instead my partner and I spent many hours giggling about their exploits and wondering what planet (or ship) they hailed from. Let's hope for the sake of the wonderful staff, that the management get their act together and start focusing on paying guests once again and that the pirate sails off to another island. I also agree with the last reviewer that they need new (cleaner) towels.

Having said that, I think the island is beautiful, the beaches pristine (although the coral bleaching is very distressing), the bures fabulous, and the staff (restaurant, grounds, housekeeping, activities) all warm, welcoming and efficient. My partner and I enjoyed the food immensely but thought that the wine list could be vastly improved with the inclusion of more Australian and Italian wine.

Tips for future guests: bring along a bottle of spirits as the resort provides 'free' soft-drinks, water, and mixers and each bure has two fridges (including a wine fridge). Don't forget the sunscreen and insect repellent (bring it with you to dinner). There is a helicopter service if your budget stretches that far.

I have no hesitation in recommending this resort but if you are considering travelling here in 2012, remember to check whether the resort is still in receivership.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank possiblyaprincess
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We spent 5 nights in Vatulele for what was going to be a fabulous trip that we now compare to all beach vacation that we consider - and it is hard to beat!

Once you get over the scariness of the small plane trip from Nadi to the island, the rest is pure pleasure. We stayed in a deluxe bure with pool that was two minutes away from the main building. We loved the bure and the fact that it was built using local materials, although I have to admit I would have liked to have AC in the bure. We also spent one night (our engagement night) at the point, and it was truly awesome.

I was amazed that the food was consistently so good throughout the week, given the remoteness of the island. The food was refined and delicious. We also really enjoyed the happy hour every day - which turned out to be a great opportunity to chat with the other guests while trying delicious cocktails (a different cocktail was offered everyday). We met really nice people during our trip and liked the fact that there was a definite time to socialize, so that the rest of the day was spent just the two of us.

The beach was amazing, the water was warm and we felt like we had our own private island in the middle of the Pacific.

We went to Vatulele to enjoy the peace and quiet so we chose to do two activities only: a visit of the village and snorkeling. Both were great, especially the village that gave us an idea of how people live on the island.

We loved loved loved the service in Vatulele. We had never ever experienced such a level of service: authentic, helpful, warm - yet sophisticated. An example of the level of service that you can expect at Vatulele: my partner got sick during our trip and they immediately sent the nurse to our bure to take care of him. They also offered us to have lunch in our room and adjusted the meal to fit my partner's condition - chicken soup, bread and yogurt. All that was done without us asking for anything. Also, my boyfriend proposed in Vatulele and he told me that the staff was very dedicated to make sure that all woud go smoothly on the big night. Thanks to Sara, Gaby and all of our Vatulele friends!

Vatulele is a place that we will always remember as being one of the greatest places we have been to.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mnonthego
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We found the resort very exclusive and well run, with a great salty water pool. The room was spacious and all amenities were of the finest quality. The restaurant had a wide range of dishes to satisfy every palate. A very pleasant experience indeed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dannis Q
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I went there with my parents which was a bit awkward. We were the only people there that weren't on our honeymoon. The staff was very friendly and nice they made a cake for me for my birthday which was very sweet. Room had it's own private salt water pool. The snorkeling outside of the hotel is amazing, we saw 20 sharks in 1 day. They were all small reef sharks so don't be worried. The only downside is the bugs. The rooms are completely open so you have to sleep in mosquito nets. However they don't really keep the bugs out. Even with all the lights off we woke up to hundreds of bugs. My suitcase got attacked by a swarm or thousands of ants. The hotel was nice enough to wash everything only for it to get attacked again... Just be prepared for what your getting into. If you want rustic and outdoors this is it. I would go again. It's all inclusive and the food is amazinnnnnnnngg!! It's really delicious with a lot of variety for vegetarians too.

Room Tip: Ask them if they have some sort of insect repellent that they could spray in the room before you arrive.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank TravelinPh0t0grapher
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed five nights and enjoyed every single minute. We could write tons of (good) things but here are the most important facts why we enjoyed ourselves so much: We never experienced such attentive staff who genuinely seemed liked their job AND guests. Each employee knew your name which gave it a special touch. Given the relatively small number of rooms (19 I believe) there was always a special atmosphere of something exclusive though not snobby at all. We met some great people and made new friends. Dining was very good and they really went out of their way to create special moments, be it with a private beach dinner (or in the wine cellar) or a half day outing to a small island all to yourself. Last but not least Vatulele boasts a great dive master ('Wuli') who is very experienced and just about as patient as it can get with fresh divers. We definitely want to go back sometime in the future although it is and should be kept a choice for special occasions.

Only drawback: There are tons (!) of mosquitos. However, staff does everything to protect you. They provide you with anti-repellent cream and spray as much as you want. There are also mosquito screens over the beds.

As a last remark: To our understanding it's not a hotel managed by 'Six Senses' as mentioned in TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: It's worthwile to opt for a Bure with a own pool (very nicely kept).
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple