“Average xiao long bao restaurant”

Jia Jia Tang Bao(Huanghe Road)
Ranked #1 of 15 Quick Bites in Shanghai
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: People’s Square
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I noticed there are a number of good reviews for this restaurant but not for me, and i will share with you my experience. I visited on a weekday evening around 6 plus with family of 5 person with kid, I supposed we were lucky to skip the queue and get a shared table upon arrival (there were quite a queue after us). The restaurant itself isn't very spacious and it can be quite stuffy. There is only 2 types of dumpling (mixed pork and crab meat and pure crab meat xiao long bao), we ordered one each, and one seaweed soup. They do sell beer if you want. With the dining experience and the money spent, I would prefer "ding tai feng" if you know what i meant. First the dumpling itself it not cheap, it certainly taste better that others that i have tasted in shanghai, i love their "ginger" however, it will cost you $2 rmb per plate. but the dining experience would be much better and you get more variety in "ding tai feng". I don't mind the first try as tourist, but i may not try it again.

Reviewed March 27, 2018

must have soup dumping shop if you're ever in Shanghai. I believe this is one of their original locations so be prepared for the tight seating arrangements, long lines and annoyed cashier but for my money, there's not better soup dumpling shop in the world (yes, Ding Tai Feng included).

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

We had the crab and pork Xiao long bao and the pure (and moe expensive) crab Xiao long bao - both delicious! The menu did not have much more than these but they were worth the wait. The atmosphere is delightfully authentic. Dinner ladies meets Seinfeld in Shanghai. Don’t miss it.

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

When I was young I used to wast his Magpie. It was a bit like Blue Peter for the rough and ready - not so much class, more attitude.
I thought of this as I visited Jia Jia Tang this visit to Shabghai. It was early, and I didn’t have to queue, which was nice. And as I was popping over to Yangs I ordered a modest 12 pieces of pork and shrimp dumplings for about £3. They were great - delicious, thin skinned, not too scalding hot. Just right. Just so Blue Peter.
On the way back from lunch I called opposite to Yangs. In your face (literally, even though I was prepared), a bit mad and rough around the edges. Definitely Magpie.

Reviewed March 19, 2018

Heard loads about Jia Jia and it did not disappoint. The menu is very limited (two types of dumplings and soups), but boy were they delicious. The crab dumplings were succulent and bursting with juices. The duck blood soup was mild but fresh-tasting. Definitely worth the queue! Tip: grab a Shengjianbao takeout from Yang's right opposite while you are waiting.