1,640 results
All reviews urban resort complimentary mini bar grand room nespresso machine jing'an temple french concession bustling city dark wood beautiful hotel steam room rooms are large metro station visiting shanghai club level business trip four seasons nanjing road
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.My husband was sick on the second day and the staff went out of their way to be helpful.The desk clerk phoned the 'foreigner's hospital' to find the English translation for the medicine he needed and a bell boy accompanied me to the pharmacy because I was worried about getting lost.The room was gorgeous and very modern and apart from the fact that I hated Shanghai, we would definitely
stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Dear KillarneyFarm,

I recall your visit as it was eventful in a bad way for you and your husband due to him falling sick.

Thank you for posting a review though: much appreciated.

Hope all is well with both of you!

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed at the PuLi twice this month for weekends, and I have to say I loved both experiences.

The hotel is in a great location, just above the French Concession and centrally located with easy access to other notable districts. The Bund this is not, but that's not what I was most interested in for my stay, and it's just a short cab ride or subway ride over there for an afternoon with the views of Pudong.

The PuLi looks quite ordinary from the outside but the interiors are quite striking. As a designer (and someone who is familar with a wide range of design hotels), the asthetic is near flawless. It evokes the urban zen minimalist vibe rather convincingly, and nothing appears cheesy or cheap. The lobby is quite lovely, with a long bar that includes the check-in desk at one end and an actual lobby bar at the other.

If there's one thing that the PuLi understands, it's lighting, which is really the best way to evoke a sense of calm and relaxation. The lighting in the rooms is flawless, and with a blackout curtain that literally shuts the room down (and another layer of blinds, also automated) you're really setup for a great night's sleep. The bed is unbelievable comfortable, with a firm but forgiving mattress. The internet was somewhat disagreeable when I was there (not unusual for China, but still annoying) but otherwise everything was just right. The tub was very comfortable and close the window for a view, and the shower (both hand held head and rainfall head) was fantastic.

The spa is really what makes the hotel, I have to say. Though I didn't have any treatments, the men's lounge with steam room, sauna and hot tub is amazing. This is where they really get it right. After a long day around the city it's phenomenal to come back and relax for an hour in a calm environment. The toilets are all Japanese and automatic (a new experience), and the lounge gives way to a terrific indoor pool. Indoor pools generally are a disappointment, making you wish you were outside and making you feel cooped up. This pool has huge windows facing onto the park, and again, the lighting is so dim and mellow that you feel instantly relaxed. One evening I was there entirely alone and it was incredibly soothing. It's even nice to relax on one of the chaise chairs in the pool area and relax. One morning I watched as the rain beat against the windows while I remained warm and comforted inside.

I can't speak to the food or dining establishments in the hotel save for one in-room breakfast which was solid but not overwhelming.

Overall, the PuLi is a terrific bet if you want something other than the Western standard fare of other hotels in Shanghai and aren't wanting to spend a ton of money. For my second visit I considered staying at other hotels and I really couldn't find anywhere that matched it in terms of luxury and appeal.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Mr Matthew K,

Thank you so much for posting such a comprehensive review. I do hope it inspires future travelers as it indeed truly depicts all the details we worked so very hard for to get right.

I am delighted to read that you agreed with our intentions!

For your future travels in China: we are developing 4 more hotels in the next 3 years. New York is always somewhere on our minds. If the right opportunity is presented to us: we would look into of course.

In the meantime happy travels and hopefully we can welcome you back - this time also to try our restaurant!

Many thanks and best regards,

Reviewed August 9, 2011

I travel to Shanghai often on business and have my usual stay. This time, I went there with my wife and children for a short break over a long weekend and took the recommendation of a friend who is in the travel business. The property is gorgeous and I can see that no expense was spared to build the hotel - a truly 5-star property. Unfortunately, like most services in China, the service personnels are mostly untrained or undertrained. When we arrived in a taxi, a bell boy held the opened door but we had to take our luggage from the trunk. When we were inside, another bell boy rushed to take our luggage (he was there the whole time, not that he was busy). The front desk is a long, long bench made of 3-inch thick wooden top. Judging from the width of the desk, at least several hundred-year old trees had to be cut down for the purpose. The interesting thing is that half of the desk is the bar and the other half reception desk. After we checked in, a female receptionist was to show us to our room. My wife had to change clothes quickly for a luncheon reception, so she asked to take her small bag with her to our room, but was refused, because, we were told that it was the procedure of the hotel to have our luggage taken to our room by the bell captain. When we insisted, the young lady tried very hard to explain her point of view. My wife finally just went over and took her bag. The Concierge was at one end of the long front desk, with only a tiny sign. When we asked for a direction, the poor guy behind the desk had to consult 2 other people and aked us to wait when he had to entertain another guest who approached. I later realized that if the information is not stored in the computer system, the response is always "sorry". The contact-less key system was not very reliable. We had to go back to the front desk once a day to have the keys reprogrammed to work. What made it more annoying was that when the key became invalid (after we had entered the room), the electrical system shut down - lights out and blinds shut. We were so embarrassed that we chose not to tell the Sales Director, who left a greeting message.
Having said that, I must say the people there were friendly, the property impressive and the location excellent. It would be a good choice if you plan to stay there often (so that you are recognized). Otherwise, it is worth a visit to see what you can do with a lot of money in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Jingan Park are better - quiet and with a soothing park view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear "Rarvis and family",

With great concern I have read your comments and I have contacted you directly in a separate note to discuss your experiences personally as they are not indicative to what the Puli Hotel and Spa stands for, I hope you will accept this.

Thank you very much for bringing them to our attention.

I very much look forward to keeping in touch personally as said.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The Puli, remember this name cause it's gonna become one of the very best hotel in the world. If my first stay in this property wasn't totally satisfacting, a second new experience has exceeded all the expectations making of this hotel, the very best in Shanghai and as i said, probably one of my "top three" of the planet.

Imagine a brand new hotel, ideally located next to Jing'an park, in the vibrant heart of this great city. Imagine the finest design like the most peaceful sanctuary you can dream and finally imagine the highest and most attentive level of service and you'll have an idea of what is The Puli.

Right away you get into this amazing hotel, you'll feel like in a dream. The lobby is just the most exquisite place where to relax with its long bar prolonged by a fantastic terrace with day beds where you'll enjoy the most delicious cocktails of the city or a very extended wine list by the glass. There is a very special atmosphere in the lobby with this dark shiny ground and all these pieces of modern chinese art blended with a few pieces of antique. Really beautiful and serene just like the adjacent library with a perfect lighting and a lot of sofas where you can lay down.

However, when we arrived at The Puli, we haven't had time to look so much at this great lobby, probably one of the most beautiful hotel lobby we've seen. Actually, a very elegant guy was waiting for us at the entrance and he has escorted us directly to our huge and fabulous suite or maybe more our Shanghaiese residence, our "cocoon", our "home far from home"... On the way to the lift, we have been greeted by each member of the staff in the lobby using the family name and with a very polite and elegant way of being.

We booked an Club accomodation which worth the little more pennies you'll have to spend. We have been introduced by the Chief Butler, the excellent Ersipit, to our private Guanjia (butler), Jason. Both of them were extremly elegant, discreet, efficient and the check in has been as smooth as possible. They bring us a welcome drink, cold towels and a bottler of chilled White wine was waiting for us.
During all our stay, they have been so excellent, looking at the littlest detail to turn our stay into a memorable and perfect experience.

Staying at The Puli Club is an experience full of surprises and it will be not too hard to feel like at home so quickly. The suite was hard to leave cause everything was so beautiful (this is truly the best decore we saw from such a long time, elegant, intelligent, serene), so comfortable, so unique... The view was breathtaking, the massive bathroom with large windows on Shanghai just dreamy and our deep bed was hard to leave in the morning... We were enhanced by the smell of essential oil diffused in our room (we choose it before arrival by a private contact with our butler) but missing the breakfast would be a mistake cause it's one of the most yummy breakfast we had. Great presention, delicious dishes and an extensive choice associated to something original...

The Puli Club comes with other benefits like a full free minibar refilled daily with your favourites, an in room delicious canapés service around 6.30pm, a long bar allowance giving you the opportunity to enjoy your cocktail in the superb terace at the time you want, high speed internet facilities and even an Iphone you can use for free to all your local calls and this very dedicated service so exclusive...

And how to miss the state of the art fitness club, the WOW pool offering peaceful views on the park in an atmosphere of total relaxation, the Jing'an restaurant where you have to try the sunday brunch...

Talking about great things regarding The Puli could be extended so much but to realize even better how fantastic is this property, just book it cause this is the most amazing hotel we have had the chance to experience for such a long time.

Congratulations Mr Van Der Valk cause you're an excelent manager and all the improvements in the hotel are spectacular and The Puli is now n°1 in Shanghai, in Asia, and why not in the world...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RCBLHKG
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Dear ccrr77fr,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. Great to be in your impressive list of reviews and so positively too.

As we say at The Puli Hotel and Spa: "once you book the Club rooms, there is nothing much else you have to worry about; just simply get here!"

Wishing you continued happy and successful travels.

Best personal regards,
Martijn

Reviewed July 28, 2011

A quiet and beautiful hotel in the city. Very large and well decorated rooms of the sort you'd expect in a tropica resort.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ajun_axis

Thank you Mr SJX for posting a review.

Our "smallest" deluxe room is already 42 square meters!

For a full listing of all room amenities, please have a look on the website.

Hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to Shanghai.

Martijn