1,664 results
All reviews urban resort complimentary mini bar grand room nespresso machine jing'an temple french concession dark wood busy city beautiful hotel steam room park hyatt rooms are large lobby bar metro station club level visiting shanghai four seasons
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stay at last month Nov 2011 for four days. Their mini-bar inside the room is free of charge and re-filled everyday even you empty the refrigerator. Just only have drink inside and no side dish. Room is big and clean. Location is good near MTR. Free WIFI at room and lobby, no need to login. Breakfast is expensive and not worth. The staff speak English not so well but ok.

Room tip: Room not choose face to the street, noisy.
Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear 2011Simon,

Good to know you have enjoyed the free minibar.

We hope your travels will bring you back to Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Great room, great feeling, great views and excellent staff. This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in for business. Boutique in manner, 5 star in resources and well priced for Shanghai. Highly recommended. Your room has everything a person will need to feel like they are at home,

Room tip: 1011 was my room
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2011

Dear Camerong,

Thank you for your review. I am sure it will be found very helpful to TA readers as are your many other reviews.

Hope your travels will bring you back to Shanghai soon!

Many many thanks and best regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I might not be traveling as much as business travelers but I travel enough and stayed in world known 5 stars hotels and boutique hotels for more than enough times to make the following comments:-

Pros:
1. Very good location, close to everywhere in Jing'an District within walking distance
2. Nice interior decorations
3. Nice swimming pool, we went swimming like we're having a private pool for ourselves (go to Cons for the fabrication of floor tiles)
4. Superb brunch with better services from staff (in suits) there (go to Cons for the service level by other general staff, which is the worst experience from a 5-star hotel)
5. Complimentary use of minibar with nespresso machine, which is nice as I love having coffees

Cons:
1. Very slippery floor tiles chosen around the swimming pool, we have to walk VERY carefully to avoid falling onto the floor. Further improvement on fabric selection is required.

2. POOR SERVICES/ ATTITUDES -
a. Staff from Long Bar/ Home Delivery/ Duty Manager, we were told that it closes at 1am and we asked if we can order from our room and get our drinks/desserts delivered. We tried to order our second round of drinks at 12:35am and the staff from Long Bar told us their last order time is 12:30am, which we were not told beforehand nor it was stated on their menu. The staff from Long Bar told us to call Home Delivery. The home delivery staff told us there's nothing they can do (which I think this kind of service is unacceptable from a high-end hotel). I called the duty manager and he later gave us the drinks and again, his explanation is not soothing and his apology wasn't sincere. We started to wonder, what kind of training does this hotel give to its staff??

b. Housekeeping staff - we stayed in PuLi on both Friday and Saturday night. On Saturday morning 10am, a housekeeping staff rang our door bell and asked if she could tidy our room (I was like WHAT?!?! Am I not allowed to stay in my own room for a little longer and is it that rush to get my room tidied??) I said no and immediately complained to the Reception. At 1pm sharp, the housekeeping staff rang the door bell AGAIN and asked if she could tidy the room. To be honest, I have never had such experience in other hotels. No housekeeping staff in any other hotel would ring the door bell and ask for time to tidy.

Another incident about Housekeeping - On sunday morning around 9am, while we were still sleeping, we heard a lot of banging of doors and moving of carts outside. Those noises woke us up and we even stood at the hallway and see who made those noises, again, its the HOUSEKEEPING. Those noises only stopped until we complained and it was VERY UNACCEPTABLE.

c. Staff were not cheerful enough in delivering services.

d. We went back to the hotel at 1am on one night and no staff was there opening the door for us.

3. Bad mattress, bed is not as comfortable as other hotels (go visit Intercontinental in Suzhou and you will know what is meant by GOOD mattress)

To PuLi management, if you are reading this and you still want to claim yourself to be the best hotel in town, please do something to improve your services. Even the Orange Hotel in Beijing (a more local hotel in the city) delivers much better services than your hotel does.

To other travelers, don't visit PuLi just yet until they improved. It doesn't worth the money at this moment. For the time being, spending your money on Shangri-la or Intercontinental will definitely be a better choice.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank soparkyee

Dear soparkyee,

Thank you for your posting. It is the exact same text I received in my personal email. In the meantime we have been dealing with your comments directly, both my colleagues and I.

All of us here at The Puli Hotel and Spa very much look forward to welcoming you back in what we hope will be the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

My best experience in Shanghai, having stayed in Grand Hyatt, St. Regis, Ritz-Carlton, etc! Great decor, attention to detail, great minimal oriental design, relaxed atmosphere, nice staff, reasonably priced for it's standard of services. Fantastic swimming pool. Food in the Long Bar a disappointment, difficulty to get a taxi during rush hours! The much advertised 'free' minibar does not include alcoholic drinks, the Nespresso Machine though is a great plus for the first coffee before the rather limited breakfast. Definitely the Hotel I shall always stay in Shanghai! Highly recommended for those who dislike the typical 5 star Hotel chains.

2  Thank NNiarchos

Dear NNiarchos,

Thank you for your posting and thank you for declaring us your preferred choice in Shanghai. 1 in 3 guests on any given day of the year will have stayed with us before and we are thrilled that you have acknowledged the very same. Our high guest repeat ratio is something we are so proud of, knowing we have been open a little over two years!

We have included local beer in the mini bar for all rooms and in all our suites we have complimentary wines available as well. Our Club guests simply tell us what their tipple is in advance and your Master of the Household (Guan Jia) will make all arrangements in your Club room or suite prior to arrival, each time you stay.

It's like having a PA throughout your stay in Shanghai. Literally nothing much else to worry about.

Maybe something you could try on your next visit?

Please let me know when that will be through the hotel numbers or emails and I will personally look after you.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

UPs:
- Great room
- Great equipment
- Great SPA & swimming pool
- Nice breakfast room

DOWNs:
- Rooms a little noisy due to highway nearby
- No access to other floors than yours / not practical to visit your friends & colleagues also staying at the hotel
- No room to store the luggage near the concierge
- Over priced beverages at the bar in the lobby.
- Service: staff is polite and efficient when required to be; they do not however anticipate the needs of customers which is what you could expect from a top luxury establishment.

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank cosmicdawn
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Dear Cosmicdawn,

Thank you for your posting on TA.

Very good to read that you have enjoyed your stay. It is always nice to receive compliments on the physical product and for someone with 109 visited cities in the portfolio, extra wonderful to receive your tips, hints and comments as well.

We have a luggage holding store on the same level as the concierge desk, just around the corner. No luggage should be kept at desk at any time: I have re-iterated that to our colleagues there in the meantime.

Our very experienced-traveler-guests all rave about our Club. With your very own GuanJia (Master of the Household formerly known in other hotel as Butlers) you have the convenience of an ever-present Personal Assistant every time you are in Shanghai. Whether you are here for business or for leisure -with the extensive extra benefits inclusive in this program- there is simply very little else to worry about!

Specially tailored arrangements and promotional packages for this purpose can always be found on website. Drinks on us in the Long Bar to name one!

Thank you again and happy travels, wherever they may bring you. Hopefully back to Shanghai soon.

Best regards,