“It's the little things that matter”

The PuLi Hotel and Spa
Ranked #7 of 5,203 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel is quite new to the Shanghai scene. However the PuLi is something special in the heart of Shanghai. As you sit at the long bar, checking in (the bar doubles as a check in desk - great and informal), you see the rippling water outside, and the bamboo surrounding the plot - and the last place you imagine you are is in a city of 16 million people. The rooms are lovely and the lighting is so nice. Like another reviewer, I spend over 30% of mu life in hotel rooms and in Shanghai this is my favourite choice. The high ceilings and the little touches make this place special. As for the food, well it is really very good. The breakfast is terrific. I cannot think of anything to fault. It is my home away from home in Shanghai.

Room Tip: I like the rooms overlooking the park. You can see people doing Tai Chi in the morning
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I travel a lot for work and pleasure and rarely does a hotel feel as comfortable and relaxing as the Puli. After flying from New York to Shanghai — with a short stay over in London — the Puli was an urban oasis that (for a hotel) was as close to home as I have had in the past 10 years. No reason to ever try another hotel in Shanghai after this experience.

Décor:

The design of the hotel is wonderful, a perfect balance between western and eastern influences. The lighting throughout the facility is also fantastic.

Service:

Everyone I encountered at the Puli was very helpful. I showed up late to breakfast one morning as they were clearing everything for lunch and the very pleasant manager made a point to get me something to eat even though he didn't have to. All of the staff I encountered was very helpful, nice and efficient. Order anything from the in-room dining and it was delivery extremely quickly. The only place I have really experienced better service was in Tokyo, which is certainly saying something.

Rooms:

At the Puli they literally think of everything. The desk drawer is filled with office supplies, the bathroom has all kinds of available products (toothpaste, etc) available gratis for you. Each night you are treated to a half bottle of wine at turndown service and the mini bar is stocked and also free of charge. The hotel is also generous with free bottled water around the hotel, something I appreciate when travelling. Should you want espresso, there's a Nespresso machine for you right in your room. Internet access works flawlessly (didn't even need a login) and was also complimentary. The wardrobe has very nice hangers and the hotel will shine your shoes for free if you leave them out.

Other Notes:

The pool and spa are fantastic. I swam laps each morning and relaxed in the hot tub after — a truly sublime experience. This parts of the hotel are not to be missed.

Upon departure I had an early flight and ordered a breakfast to-go from the room service menu, something I would highly recommend. They give you a perfect to go box complete with wooden cutlery suitable for a plane should you make it that far without enjoying your breakfast box.

Room Tip: High floors have a great view of the city.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Gorgeous contemporary setting. Beautiful rooms but very important you request one facing the Jing an park as the view in the other direction is nothing but high rise construction and fairly mundane. Wonderful staff and an amazing 25m pool. As for the area itself it is near to Xin Tian Di a lovely part of the city and some very upscale shopping. Prefer the Bund for its atmosphere. Taxis can be difficult to obtain here as it is set back from the street and they don't appear to have a system to flag them down. Allow a few minutes in the evening to get one. All in all a very comfortable hotel.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I sleep almost 100 nights a year in hotels, not as much as some, but more then most.
I am giving this hotel my 'best overall experience' so far.
The design is impeccable, the lighting is perfect, the rooms are spacious, fully featured and just beautifully designed. The little detail with the complimentary dect/gsm phone from the hotel that you can take with you and call for free the hotel or other local numbers is a must. And pushing a button it says in Chinese to the taxi driver the address of the hotel! Now that is attention to detail for me!
The Spa is so good, so very good, the indoor pool is a dream in which I want to wake up every day, a far cry from most Spa-Hotels.
They cater as well to the speedy business traveler that only has 5 minutes for breakfast as the more lucious room serviced dining experience.
Actually, it has given me such pleasure, this hotel, that last time when I wasn't able to stay over when I came to Shanghai, because my flight prevented a sleepover, that I was actually a bit sad.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Service was excellent. The hotel concierge, Davis Xu, was very responsive to my emails and helped us purchase train tickets from Shanghai-Beijing. Emily, who escorted me to my hotel room, was helpful and offered to give me an intro to the room amenities. I'm glad I took her up on the offer--there are a few panels that hid some things that I would not have discovered on my own, e.g. plugs near the desk.

Room design is right in line with my design aesthetic: modern, clean lines, dark woods. Loved that there were power blinds and black out shades, as well as various controls for the different lights so I could control the ambiance. Room was super clean and equipped with coffee maker, tea pot, complimentary stocked mini-bar fridge, water bottles, and fresh apples. Wi-fi was included. Super comfortable bed--one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in.

Had lunch and dinner at the hotel; food and service was excellent.

We had a business meeting at the hotel and the rooms and service were also superb.

This is a top notch hotel. It provides the unexpected delights that most luxury hotels fail (or have forgotten) to deliver. I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to return to Shanghai so I can stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Shortz,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with TA readers. Both Emily and Davis are great members of our team and they have told me already how delighted they are to hear of your kind comments.
There is very little I can add to your detailed and comprehensive review. Perhaps just a reminder for everyone that our Garden Terrace will be fully open again for the season in a week or so! Our Shanghai winter was quite mild again but the spring, summer and fall are ideal times to spend some time on our Garden Terrace: we are toying with the idea to do a weekly BBQ there!
From Emily, Davis, the team and I: Thank you again, Happy Travels and hopefully Welcome Back soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Puli has the best spa in Shanghai, really big nice rooms with your own nespresso machine, the service is good although the concierge service is really bad (as in most Chinese hotels).

The only bad thing is that their location is not as good as other hotels that are closer to Xintiandi.

Room Tip: buy from expedia as they have lower rates than booking directly

Dear EZB_11,

Thank you for your review. Wonderful to know you have travelled from so far away to come and stay with us.
Really sorry you did not come away from our concierge desk fully satisfied. I am happy to have been able to contact you directly on this issue, as I am naturally concerned.
On a different note, perhaps to clarify our rate strategy: we have 100% rate parity between rates quoted and published by the hotel and those quoted by third party business partners. Rate difference only occurs when terms and conditions or inclusions differ.
With 2 metro lines now directly accessible from our building it has never been easier to get around!
Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I could'nt recommend this Hotel more! Even had a free mini-bar!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Dave H,

Thank you very much for your recommendation!

All of us here very much look forward to welcoming you back in what we hope will be the not too distant future.

Many thanks and best regards,