“not bad, but a bit disappointing...”

The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #55 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I wasc pretty sure, that I booked 5* hotel - one of the best rated in booking.com. I didn't like it much, because of pretending style. Actually everything was ok, but sometning bothered me... nice staff and good breakfast was a basic. overpriced, but in the center of SH.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear expat72,

Thank you very much for sharing this review following your stay at The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the coming future.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I booked the hotel during a business trip and it was a good choice. Perhaps the staff is not the most welcoming but the rooms are really nice and clean. The decor is characteristics with a fusion between modern and some recalls to the 30s (when the hotel was funded). A bit funny how everytime I entered the room and inserted my card, the telly would switch on with a song (I wanna go to Shanghai?) - I think I have learnt the song by heart as it was a bit catchy.

The hotel is only a 20 minutes walk from the Bund and a 1 minute walk to the tube.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Dear diegothereviewer,

We thank you so much for your amazing feedback about The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoy your stay here. We truly look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

So I booked this hotel for my two friends travelling in China for the first time (it was also their Wedding Anniversary). Great location- just a couple of steps away from Metro Exit and opposite of Raffles City which is filled with shops and restaurants. Walkable to places such as Bund, Nanjing East Road etc
Nice decorations - room can be a little bit bigger for the cost though but all is fine.
Two chocolate boxes for my friends for the wedding anniversary:)
Ok services and friendly staff. The only complaint I have is the lack of prepayment options. No wechat, alipay or bank transfers for those wishing to pay the rooms upfront and ahead in time. I had to actually go there to pay it in cash which considering how tech savvy China is, this is a tad disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear WMBandit,

We thank you so much for your feedback about The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. It is wonderful to hear that you and your friends are impressed by our lcoation. For those kind comments regarding the prepayment options, please rest assured we have already bring related management team members into attention which are much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the coming future.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

I loved staying at this hotel whilst on my travels in China. It has lovely decor, very high standard rooms with big comfortable beds and nice touches ranging from fresh roses in the room to luxury slippers, chocolates etc big spacious bathrooms too with bath and separate shower. I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a smaller more personalised stay in Shanghai.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family

Dear Flo_1369,

Thank you so much for having chosen The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai to stay and for taking the valuable time to share on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to hear that you've enjoyed your stay with us. We wish to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

I decided to treat myself to a 4 day stay at the Yangtze Boutique Shanghai because it was so beautiful. I really loved the room, the comfortable bed, the spacious and lovely room, the sumptuous bathroom with a full-sized deep tub and walk-in shower. It was really great.The hotel is very well situated - easy to reach from the metro, close to downtown shopping districts, easy walk from the Bund.

The only drawback, however, was the front desk team who need some training on being more polite, more gracious welcoming, and more customer oriented. The doormen, the concierge, and the restaurant staff were all very warm, friendly, helpful, and kind but the front desk staff acted like they were working in a very fast paced McDonald's. The hotel was not busy so there was no excuse for this. Upon checkin, I was informed that I was upgraded which delighted me but that was the last time they spoke to me - just thrusting my key at me and talking to each other and ignoring me. I asked for advice one night around 10pm on where to get food, the front desk clerk laughed and said "Anywhere" - well, most of the restaurants on the pedestrian street were closed at that hour and I wandered trying to find a place. When I checked out at 9:30am on a Sunday morning, there were no other guests in front of me - the staff never asked me how my stay was, if I enjoyed it, or even thanked me - just tossed my bill at me and walked away leaving the doorman to run up to me to help me with my bags. It left a bad taste in my mouth of an otherwise excellent, beautiful, and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear Sarah M,

We thank you so much for your feedback about The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. It is wonderful to hear that you are impressed by hotel facilities. For those kind comments regarding our front desk service, please rest assured we have already bring related management team members into attention which are much appreciated. And please accept our gratitude for providing us a road map to improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back in the coming future.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Wonderful hotel, lovely decor, very high standard.
We enjoyed a few nights in shanghai on honeymoon and highly recommend this hotel, we were impressed as soon as walked in the door, amd the rooms are amazing.
I particularly enjoyed watching a film while in the bath tub after a day of walking!
The hotel has a number of starbucks/costa coffees close by and is a short walk to the main pedestrian shopping street, and about 10-15minute walk to the river. We used the subway, a station is v.close by to see the gardens, circus and to cross the river.

Highly recommend a stay here.
There are only 9 floors so dont stay here if you want a view, we didnt want a view as we spend most of our time out exploring the city anyway!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank REds281
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear REds281,

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located to POIs however fairly limited when it comes to great F&B options. The rooms are spacious and thankfully had a comfy bed which isn't always the case in Asia. Service like others have mentioned is in need of some improvement. Think the English at the front desk needs be improved as she had explained that for my two night stay I only get 1 breakfast when my rate is inclusive of breakfast. The one day I had breakfast, my plates just piled up along with those of other patrons - mind you it wasn't even busy yet as it was still early. This is our preferred business hotel so I will likely return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
ManagementTLSHA, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Dear Lingc77,

We thank you so much for your feedback about The Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. It is wonderful to hear that you are impressed by our rooms. For those kind comments regarding our service and staff language skill, please rest assured we have already bring related management team members into attention which are much appreciated. And please accept our gratitude for providing us a road map to improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back in the coming future.