“Great Place to stay in Shanghai” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Modena By Fraser Putuo Shanghai

Modena By Fraser Putuo Shanghai
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Place to stay in Shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel was much nicer than we expected & plenty of room for my son & I with the loft! I thought the breakfasts were fine, however, this was my 1st experience in Shanghai, and I'm not Chinese, so wouldn't know what to expect for a typical breakfast. The staff are very friendly & helpful. The Metro was across a pretty big busy street, however there's a new Metro entrance due to open soon very close on Tongchuan Rd, so getting around will be much easier. Also there's a mall next door (with a market in the lowest level) with another Metro entrance due to open soon. If I come out again & could not stay with my son, I'd stay at this hotel! The only single thing I would change is to have a little bit more variety on the hotel's food menu (that's because I stayed for 2 weeks). The kitchen in the room was adequate for our needs however, there wasn't a market close enough for me to be able to cook my own food at the time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was in Shanghai by myself for the weekend after a business trip to Suzhou.

When I opened the door, I was stunned by how beautiful the loft apt was... I was deciding between this one and another in East Nanjing Rd. I chose Modena 'cos it had a homely feel, though it was a little further from City Centre and a little pricer than normal hotels. However, if you ask me to choose again, it'll be Modena without any hesitation. It was absolutely worth it! V comfortable, spacious, well-equipped, elegantly-designed, sparkling clean, modern, new and a home away from home. My dream apt! The pictures shown on their website showcase the true grandeur and beauty of the place. What you see is what you get! Breakfast is reasonably good, not an extremely wide spread but good enough selection. I didn't have the chance to use the other facilities, would try them if I have to chance to go Shanghai again. 2 nights is too short!

It's just a 2-3mins walk to the nearest metro station at Langao Rd station. Afew metro stops away from East Nanjing Rd, The Bund, Xintiandi etc (need to do a couple of changes though). But this is just a very small hassle as compared to the immense comfort from the apt. Service of the staff are pretty good too.

I can't say enough good things about Modena. I am really glad to find this gem! And of 'cos, I am 100% sure I will check into this boutique apt for my next visit to this city. And I hope they open up more of such serviced apts all over the world! :)

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are as beautiful as the one I stayed. :D
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Booked this apartment accommodation based on positive reviews from TA. Didnt have any problems in my stay. Breakfast is not great, but service from staff at breakfast is very good, even though their English isn't fantastic.
Front desk staff English is excellent.
Concierge very efficient.
Accommodation is clean, modern, and very comfortable.
Gym is reasonable, but could do with some extra machines.
Would be helpful if management could place a wash cloth for dishes in the kitchen, and also some extra small kitchen tools such as peeler.
Laundry is well equipped. Have booked again, and just waiting for sales manager Zhang to issue me with a corporate contract for our company.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I don't intend to give this hotel a 4* score of Very Good, but it is certainly above an Average score of 3*, so 3.5* it would be...
This property should appeal more to younger people than to my hubby and I who are in our mid-fifties. The stairs are a little steep and we had to make sure we held the handrail and not miss the steps while moving between floors.
The hotel design is modern and chic, as you can see from the photos.
We got a good rate of RM228 from pyotravel which came with 2 breakfasts. We thought breakfast spread was adequate.
The hotel is about 5-8 minutes walk from the MRT station. Crossing the traffic junction to get to the station takes a bit of skill as bicycle traffic would come to you left, right and centre.
Do note that you have to switch lines to go to popular sites like The Bund, People's Square etc and to the airport or train station as well. Also take note that switching lines does involve a bit of walking within the forever crowded station.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Heerlen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed 3 nights. Nice big rooms with a modern design. Groundfloor had a well equiped kitchen, upstairs a small livingroom with flatscreen and comfi couch, up splitlevel a very good bed (especially for Chinese standards!) and a small but clean bathroom. Breakfast indeed could be improved. Area not very interesting but close to subway to city centre. Free use of computer in lobby. I would return if the price is right. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Nice views and less street noise on high floor
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

We loved the place! Went there with 3 other gals and we had two - two bedrooms loft. It was modern and guest service was friendly and know exactly what we needed everytime we inquire about something. It is near the train station so quiet easy to get to anywhere but mostly we took taxi to the 'hot' areas but at least needed to take 20-30mins ride so that was kinda tire. We had a very very late check-out as we didnt' get back to the hotel at 2pm on our last day and we were rushing to the airport to catch our plane too so the hotel didnt charge us and we have to say a big 'thank you' to them for being so considerate. The bed and facilities in the room are great!^^ So y Very Good and not Excellent just coz the location and the dust in the dishes. (suggest washing them before using any of them in the kitchen)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vitaletea
Bilbao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

While looking for a house, my family (2+2) has been living in the hotel. Really kind and helpful people (best ever seen in China). Pictures form web page 100% accurate. I have fallen in love. It is not a real hotel, but a serviced apartment.

PRICE/ QUALITY RATE (9/10): 100€ - two bedroom + kitchen + living room
LOCATION (8/10): four Subway stations to Nanjing Road (Metro station 30m from hotel), but nothing else surrounding.
ROOM (10/10): one of the best I've ever been (modern, spacious, and clean)
WIFI: (8/10): complimentary and fast enough (room and lobby). Sometimes it is down for a while. Wifi + cable.
BREAKFAST: (6/10): good quality, but 75% Chinese and not many things. Weakest point.
STAFF (9/10): incredible in China. Poor English level, but good enough for understanding.
RESTAURANT (8/10): good quality & quantity but low variety
AMENITIES (9/10): kitchen, microwave, big refrigerator available.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family