Book In Advance
Tours from Tours of Jewish Shanghai tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Shanghai
from US$30.80
from US$96.00
from US$80.10
from US$80.00
More Info
All reviews dvir bar gal fascinating tour his knowledge non jews exceptional tour highlight of our trip subject matter personal stories an absolute full day tour great guide french concession refugees tombstones journalist history waves
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It was a treat having Dvir guide me through the Jewish history of Shanghai. Although it is a complex story, his ability to explain the timeline and events, brought to life a rich and remarkable culture. It is not possible to gain even a fraction of the knowledge on one’s own. After the tour, I felt as though I had learnt a lot, seen a fortune and had a clear understanding of the Jewish history of Shanghai. Dvir’s tour is an absolute must if one is interested in this chapter of history.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I was fortunate enough to be in a tour group led by Dvir Bar-Gal who took us through the history of Jews in shanghai.

This is my email to him;

Thank you so much for your very informative tour on Friday. I found it fascinating. I really had no concept that much of then establishment of Shanghai owed so much to some terribly enterprising people of the faith.

The story of the fleeing Jewish refugees finding sanctuary in Shanghai was also a story I was unfamiliar with. Surely there’s a good book and / or flick in some of these wonderful human interest stories.

I’ll be looking for more reference material to expand my understanding of the Jews in the Far East.

Great story and well worth a couple of hours to hear and see the story and history.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank hmeyer1
Reviewed October 26, 2018

This 4-5 tour with Dvir Bar-Gal was fantastic. He is extremely knowledgeable about the subject matter, and he presents it in an enthusiastic and entertaining way that makes the history memorable. The tour is well organized, with plenty of breaks to sit down or have a drink of water. If anything, I would have liked more time at the Jewish Refugees Museum which was very interesting.
Shanghai has a fascinating Jewish history, so anyone interested in learning more about it should take advantage of this tour.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed August 2, 2018

My husband and I usually travel independently but there are times when an outstanding guide can show you places you otherwise wouldn't see and, if you're lucky, that guide can also bring history to life. Dvir is that guide and his tour is not to be missed.
The most memorable part of the tour for me was when we were brought into one of the homes that was shared by refugee families. Standing in the tiny kitchen where the families worked together, walking the hallways of the house and sitting in the family room evoked images of the families living in a foreign land and planning their future.The memories of that house still move me and I'm grateful I was able to be there. You will also learn about Dr. Ho, a gentleman who was influenced the lives of thousands of people, perhaps even your own.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Onemoredog
Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

Dvir was amazing - his journey alone is worth joining the tour - trying to preserve the Jewish story/plight and uncovering the graves of the immigrants - wow. The tour itself, with its historical perspective, gives you an in-depth understanding of the Jewish plight in Shanghai - when they came, why the came, how they lived - an absolutely wonderful journey and an absolute must for anybody with an interest in Jewish history, as well as an interest in how Shanghai had developed since the late 1800’s.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

Once in a while you meet a person that is emerged in historical values and facts that you wonder if he was part of that historical moment .
Dvir is such a person . He took us back to 3 periods that Jewish persons seeked refuge in Shanghai .during the last century.
Next to that he has been looking after their heritage . Or rather through investigated journalism tracking and tracing grave stones that vanished in past times.
Next to the past experience , the present with Dvir and his wife Anfisa . For us an other highlight exploring with them the French concession and modern Shanghai .

Visit Shanghai ? Contact Dvir and Anfisa the way to experience Shanghai .

frank H.