1,498 results
All reviewsdouble treeeast wingthe executive loungerevolving restaurantscience museumdiamond membernice hotelbusiness tripupgraded to a suitecentury parkmaglev stationhilton shanghaihotel stafffitness centerconcierge deskan upgradehigh floor
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Great rooms, GM (David Givens) has everything running perfectly.

• Stayed: May 2012
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear DuffyMich,

Thank you for the review and five stars. I enjoy meeting my guests and throughly enjoyed meeting you and having you stay at my wonderful property. Your comments are very kind. I still have a lot of work to do to make sure every guest experience is a wonderful one but I enjoy the challenge.

I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Sofitel and recognised a number of the staff still working there.
Before arrival, I had received an email from the hotel asking me when I was expecting to arrive and indeed if there was anything I needed on arrival. As a Diamond member, I was particularly surprised by this welcome email and indeed took up the offer of asking for an early check-in seeing that our flight was arriving early in the morning and check in was from noon at the hotel.

On arrival, we were welcomed very well by the check in staff and before long we arrived in our corner suite. It was a real treat as we had booked a standard room. Armed with a warm chocolate chip cookie off we trotted to our "home away from home!"

The room was feel proportioned with a utility area with fridge and kettle, a sizable living area and a very comfortable king size bed with pillow-topped mattress, which provided us with a great night's sleep. The bathroom has floor to ceiling windows and a motorised blind, should you feel the need for privacy on a high floor. A walk-in shower and a deep bath tub complete the marble bathroom.

Breakfast was served for us in the Executive Lounge, which was one of the most spacious I have ever been in. Staff members (especially Betty and Hazel) were extremely helpful and most welcoming. Three chefs were standing ready to prepare eggs to order and the array of breakfast items was simply not to be rivaled anywhere else on the Hilton family network of hotels, especially in a lounge, where normally the breakfast is predominantly continental with one to three hot items in a buffet- style.

Another fantastic asset in this hotel is the team of concierges. They were amazing and were most helpful in sorting out problems we had with a tailor. Their English was outstanding and couldn't have been more helpful.

This will definitely be our hotel of choice in Shanghai and our thanks to the team there!

Room Tip: Make sure that you reserve a "non-smoking" room as "smoking" rooms are still the norm!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 747jet

Dear 747jet,

Thank you for you recent review and five Stars. It is great praise coming from a seasoned traveler and Hilton Diamond member. I will make sure that Betty, Hazel and the concierge staff get a chance to read your wonderful comments about the service they provided.

A warm chocolate chip cookie is great after a long flight, am glad you were able to enjoy one of our signature items.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Efficient business hotel in the centre of shanghai, service is as always good and the beds are comfy. The usual business amenities are available and the hotel has a lovely courtyard garden and the nice warm cookies on check in are a bonus. Nothing too different about the hotel, does what it says on the tin.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Dear Lolaroseglasgow,

Thank you for the review and three stars. Having recently converted to a Doubletree by Hilton, we are excited about joining the Hilton family and providing all the amenities and service Hilton is famous for. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our world renowned warm chocolate chip cookie. I look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

David Givens, General Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I have stayed at holiday inn pudong nanpu, located just a few minutes from hilton hotel. Even it's a much cheaper hotel, the service, room quality, food and everything was outstanding. I only moved out because my travel agent messed up my reservation, and I was told to move to hilton.

I will not describe the experience in details, because this hotel has only bad points to write about. Below, the highlights of a desastrous stay:

- reception: rude, rude, rude...
- room: very old, with few hanging power sockets, hard bed, poor toiletries, not enough clothes hangers.
- care line: the attendant asked me to SPELL the word knife, when i asked for a fork and a knife. She didnt know what i meant by knife and had to check a dictionary.
- i was cheated by a taxi driver, and the concierge did nothing to help me sorting the problem out.
- when asked for a portable router (i used one FREE OF CHARGE at holiday inn) a reception supervisor said to her colleague in chinese: said: I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS, AND IF WE DONT HAVE IT, JUST TELL THE GUEST. WE WON'T HELP HIM, BECAUSE WE ARE TOO BUSY. (yes, i can understand chinese, despite of my pale face).
- room service is too expensive.
- internet is charged, also very expensive. Around US$ 20 per 24 hours.
- overall, staff is rude and really dont care about guests' needs.

They gave me a cookie in the check in. Well, they could throw away those stupid cookies and invest on training and stablishing a free internet network.

Not to be unfair, i was well treated by a foreign staff at the breakfast reception. Really nice and polite girl. That was the only pleasant time of my 5 nights stay.

Rubish hotel.

When you stay in pudong area, stay at holiday inn, which is much better and costs 4 times less.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Londrino

Dear Londrino,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to inform me of your recent visit. I appreciate the good and the bad reviews and utilize them both as a tool to improve. I have to say that we definitely dropped the ball with regards to providing you a pleasant and welcoming stay. Please accept my sincere apology for not exceeding your expectations. I appreciate the detailed comments; these will help me fine tune the areas that need attention.

I hope your future travels are less eventful and more relaxing.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I travel to Shanghai 3-4 times a year...I usually stay at either the Hilton Shanghai, or the Crowne Plaza Fudan--both are great properties which I enjoy immensely (see my reviews over the years at both places). However, I think this Doubletree will be my new home.

1. It should be noted that I'm a Hilton Diamond member--so the benefits I enjoy on-property are what will bring me back here on future trips, and I can understand the frustrations experienced by the lesser reviews below by non-Diamond members. About 2 weeks before my arrival, I noticed my reservation was changed from a standard king room to a "Deluxe King Suite" (more on that later). A week before my arrival, I received an e-mail from a manager asking if there was anything she could do in advance to make my stay more enjoyable...

2. Based on the reviews I read here, there was something I wanted--a room in the East Wing. And was given one. What a beautiful suite! New, fresh and modern. The whole East Wing itself is on par with other 5-star hotels I've enjoyed around the world, from the hallways, to the semi-lobby to the suite itself. Fresh decor, great layout, huge bathroom with a separate shower...The room also had a pantry-slash-mini kitchen, complete with fridge, coffee/tea pot, and some sort of cooking apparatus (which I never used and couldn't really figure out). Two flat-panel TVs (one in the bedroom, one in the living room), floor-to-ceiling windows (even in the bathroom!), nice work area and more closets than I've ever seen in a hotel room.

3. The Executive Lounge. This is what really sets this place apart...Better breakfast offerings than the Hilton Shanghai, that's for sure (but not quite as much as the CP Fudan which gives Club Floor patrons their full buffet). Several food options, HUGE amount of space--one of the larger lounges I've ever been in. The evening 'happy hour' is among the best I've experienced anywhere--many food options (more than enough to make dinner out of it), good drink selection, and friendly staff at all times of the day. In summary--an AWESOME Executive Lounge!

4. Check-in was amazing, was processed in a matter of minutes, and the clerk even called the manager that I had been in contact with before my arrival, and she came over to escort me to my room. I was disappointed that they didn't have a full spa on site (one area where the Hilton Shanghai had an edge over this place), but she told me the massage place across the street received high marks from hotel guests. She not only assured me it wasn't one of those "massage with extras"/shady places, but she later sent up a discount card for 10% off. (By the way, great LEGITIMATE massage at YuCheng across the street--one hour was only RMB133 after the discount). She did warn me that the other two massage places were less than above board, if you know what I mean.

5. The East Wing is a bit of a walk from the lobby--okay, it's a Las Vegas-style walk. But the distance is worth it...Especially if you have Executive Lounge access--the lounge is right on the first floor, near the East Wing elevators.

6. There isn't much else near the hotel, not really the place if you're a tourist and want to be in the 'thick' of things. I'm not, and didn't want to be, so this place was great for me, since it's a 10-minute taxi ride to my company's office, versus 20-30 mins from my two other favorite Shanghai hotels.

In summary--not a lot of negative things I can say about this place. While I was there, I booked my stay for my next trip in a few months--wanted to try it first before I went any further--and didn't even finish my stay before I knew I was coming back. I've stayed at a lot of Doubletrees before, and this one is by far the nicest. The brand is hit-or-miss in the USA regarding quality--this one is definitely a 'hit'!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MichWorldTraveler

Dear MichWorldTraveler,

Many thanks for your review and five stars. I appreciate the time you took to provide us with a detailed review of your recent visit. We have started a new journey with Hilton hotels having recently converted to a Doubletree by Hilton. Your comments will go a long way in assisting us with improving our services. Also, thank you for your committment to TripAdvisor, I see you have provided 113 past reviews. Come back soon!