“Excellent Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #68 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Usually on my trip to Shanghai I stay at the Portman but its a long travel as my work is in Pudong. I decided to try doubletree and havent regreted the decision a bit.
The Room
I was upgraded to Kind suite in east wing on 30th floor and every aminety in the room was just right. Bed was comfortable, Top to bottom glass windows gave room the airy feel. Bathrooms were nice.
The Breakfast in Executive lounge
The executive lounge probably topped the experience. From the lounge you can see the well constructed Chiense style garden and it was a treat every morning. A five minute walk through it was just enough to charge up for the day. The waitresses at the lounge with their welcoming smile and top notch service made your tired day relaxing. Alina and others were just fantastic who would know when to serve and go away.

The Disappointment -
Concierge / Front desk....I would have rated it 5 star but I was rather disappointed with the concierge. Since I have been to China many times before I managed my way. For the class of this hotel I found it rather surprising that it missed the most important aspect of hotel guests....ensuring they feel welcome when they arrive, get help when they have to leave and provide information when needed. Both concierge and front desk wasnt bad but not worth 5-star...

Food (Not suitable for vegeterian) -
Vegeterianism is on rise and I would expect the hotel to have vegeterian friendly options. I missed the X-Sensation buffet dinners as there was hardly any vegeterian option. X-Sensation is the rotating restaurant in west wing on 46th floor...I believe a dinner buffest costs 243Yuan....

Feedback for the hotel - You need to have a link on site to print address in Chinese.

This will definately be on my list in my next stay...

Room Tip: If you are first time traveller make sure you get the hotel address in Chinese. Also make sure you p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear MoreIknowlessIknow,

Thank you for your recent review and four stars. I appreciate the time you took to give me your feedback. I was happy to read that you had an overall enjoyable experience. I will make sure the team in the Executive Lounge see your comments on their great service. I will also discuss your comments with the Concierge staff. They know they are the first line of service in the hotel and should be prepared to handle any questions and service opportunities. My next stop will be the kitchen and discuss with the Chef what we can do about offering some vegetarian items on our X-sensation buffet and also in our other outlet's a la carte menus.

The hotel's address in Chinese is very important and needs to be readily available for our guests to download off the website. Great idea.

By the way, great Tripadvisor moniker.

Many thanks!

Reviewed 12 May 2012

Great rooms, GM (David Givens) has everything running perfectly.

• Stayed: May 2012
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear DuffyMich,

Thank you for the review and five stars. I enjoy meeting my guests and throughly enjoyed meeting you and having you stay at my wonderful property. Your comments are very kind. I still have a lot of work to do to make sure every guest experience is a wonderful one but I enjoy the challenge.

I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Sofitel and recognised a number of the staff still working there.
Before arrival, I had received an email from the hotel asking me when I was expecting to arrive and indeed if there was anything I needed on arrival. As a Diamond member, I was particularly surprised by this welcome email and indeed took up the offer of asking for an early check-in seeing that our flight was arriving early in the morning and check in was from noon at the hotel.

On arrival, we were welcomed very well by the check in staff and before long we arrived in our corner suite. It was a real treat as we had booked a standard room. Armed with a warm chocolate chip cookie off we trotted to our "home away from home!"

The room was feel proportioned with a utility area with fridge and kettle, a sizable living area and a very comfortable king size bed with pillow-topped mattress, which provided us with a great night's sleep. The bathroom has floor to ceiling windows and a motorised blind, should you feel the need for privacy on a high floor. A walk-in shower and a deep bath tub complete the marble bathroom.

Breakfast was served for us in the Executive Lounge, which was one of the most spacious I have ever been in. Staff members (especially Betty and Hazel) were extremely helpful and most welcoming. Three chefs were standing ready to prepare eggs to order and the array of breakfast items was simply not to be rivaled anywhere else on the Hilton family network of hotels, especially in a lounge, where normally the breakfast is predominantly continental with one to three hot items in a buffet- style.

Another fantastic asset in this hotel is the team of concierges. They were amazing and were most helpful in sorting out problems we had with a tailor. Their English was outstanding and couldn't have been more helpful.

This will definitely be our hotel of choice in Shanghai and our thanks to the team there!

Room Tip: Make sure that you reserve a "non-smoking" room as "smoking" rooms are still th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 747jet

Dear 747jet,

Thank you for you recent review and five Stars. It is great praise coming from a seasoned traveler and Hilton Diamond member. I will make sure that Betty, Hazel and the concierge staff get a chance to read your wonderful comments about the service they provided.

A warm chocolate chip cookie is great after a long flight, am glad you were able to enjoy one of our signature items.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Efficient business hotel in the centre of shanghai, service is as always good and the beds are comfy. The usual business amenities are available and the hotel has a lovely courtyard garden and the nice warm cookies on check in are a bonus. Nothing too different about the hotel, does what it says on the tin.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear Lolaroseglasgow,

Thank you for the review and three stars. Having recently converted to a Doubletree by Hilton, we are excited about joining the Hilton family and providing all the amenities and service Hilton is famous for. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our world renowned warm chocolate chip cookie. I look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

David Givens, General Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I have stayed at holiday inn pudong nanpu, located just a few minutes from hilton hotel. Even it's a much cheaper hotel, the service, room quality, food and everything was outstanding. I only moved out because my travel agent messed up my reservation, and I was told to move to hilton.

I will not describe the experience in details, because this hotel has only bad points to write about. Below, the highlights of a desastrous stay:

- reception: rude, rude, rude...
- room: very old, with few hanging power sockets, hard bed, poor toiletries, not enough clothes hangers.
- care line: the attendant asked me to SPELL the word knife, when i asked for a fork and a knife. She didnt know what i meant by knife and had to check a dictionary.
- i was cheated by a taxi driver, and the concierge did nothing to help me sorting the problem out.
- when asked for a portable router (i used one FREE OF CHARGE at holiday inn) a reception supervisor said to her colleague in chinese: said: I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS, AND IF WE DONT HAVE IT, JUST TELL THE GUEST. WE WON'T HELP HIM, BECAUSE WE ARE TOO BUSY. (yes, i can understand chinese, despite of my pale face).
- room service is too expensive.
- internet is charged, also very expensive. Around US$ 20 per 24 hours.
- overall, staff is rude and really dont care about guests' needs.

They gave me a cookie in the check in. Well, they could throw away those stupid cookies and invest on training and stablishing a free internet network.

Not to be unfair, i was well treated by a foreign staff at the breakfast reception. Really nice and polite girl. That was the only pleasant time of my 5 nights stay.

Rubish hotel.

When you stay in pudong area, stay at holiday inn, which is much better and costs 4 times less.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Londrino

Dear Londrino,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to inform me of your recent visit. I appreciate the good and the bad reviews and utilize them both as a tool to improve. I have to say that we definitely dropped the ball with regards to providing you a pleasant and welcoming stay. Please accept my sincere apology for not exceeding your expectations. I appreciate the detailed comments; these will help me fine tune the areas that need attention.

I hope your future travels are less eventful and more relaxing.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I travel to Shanghai 3-4 times a year...I usually stay at either the Hilton Shanghai, or the Crowne Plaza Fudan--both are great properties which I enjoy immensely (see my reviews over the years at both places). However, I think this Doubletree will be my new home.

1. It should be noted that I'm a Hilton Diamond member--so the benefits I enjoy on-property are what will bring me back here on future trips, and I can understand the frustrations experienced by the lesser reviews below by non-Diamond members. About 2 weeks before my arrival, I noticed my reservation was changed from a standard king room to a "Deluxe King Suite" (more on that later). A week before my arrival, I received an e-mail from a manager asking if there was anything she could do in advance to make my stay more enjoyable...

2. Based on the reviews I read here, there was something I wanted--a room in the East Wing. And was given one. What a beautiful suite! New, fresh and modern. The whole East Wing itself is on par with other 5-star hotels I've enjoyed around the world, from the hallways, to the semi-lobby to the suite itself. Fresh decor, great layout, huge bathroom with a separate shower...The room also had a pantry-slash-mini kitchen, complete with fridge, coffee/tea pot, and some sort of cooking apparatus (which I never used and couldn't really figure out). Two flat-panel TVs (one in the bedroom, one in the living room), floor-to-ceiling windows (even in the bathroom!), nice work area and more closets than I've ever seen in a hotel room.

3. The Executive Lounge. This is what really sets this place apart...Better breakfast offerings than the Hilton Shanghai, that's for sure (but not quite as much as the CP Fudan which gives Club Floor patrons their full buffet). Several food options, HUGE amount of space--one of the larger lounges I've ever been in. The evening 'happy hour' is among the best I've experienced anywhere--many food options (more than enough to make dinner out of it), good drink selection, and friendly staff at all times of the day. In summary--an AWESOME Executive Lounge!

4. Check-in was amazing, was processed in a matter of minutes, and the clerk even called the manager that I had been in contact with before my arrival, and she came over to escort me to my room. I was disappointed that they didn't have a full spa on site (one area where the Hilton Shanghai had an edge over this place), but she told me the massage place across the street received high marks from hotel guests. She not only assured me it wasn't one of those "massage with extras"/shady places, but she later sent up a discount card for 10% off. (By the way, great LEGITIMATE massage at YuCheng across the street--one hour was only RMB133 after the discount). She did warn me that the other two massage places were less than above board, if you know what I mean.

5. The East Wing is a bit of a walk from the lobby--okay, it's a Las Vegas-style walk. But the distance is worth it...Especially if you have Executive Lounge access--the lounge is right on the first floor, near the East Wing elevators.

6. There isn't much else near the hotel, not really the place if you're a tourist and want to be in the 'thick' of things. I'm not, and didn't want to be, so this place was great for me, since it's a 10-minute taxi ride to my company's office, versus 20-30 mins from my two other favorite Shanghai hotels.

In summary--not a lot of negative things I can say about this place. While I was there, I booked my stay for my next trip in a few months--wanted to try it first before I went any further--and didn't even finish my stay before I knew I was coming back. I've stayed at a lot of Doubletrees before, and this one is by far the nicest. The brand is hit-or-miss in the USA regarding quality--this one is definitely a 'hit'!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MichWorldTraveler

Dear MichWorldTraveler,

Many thanks for your review and five stars. I appreciate the time you took to provide us with a detailed review of your recent visit. We have started a new journey with Hilton hotels having recently converted to a Doubletree by Hilton. Your comments will go a long way in assisting us with improving our services. Also, thank you for your committment to TripAdvisor, I see you have provided 113 past reviews. Come back soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed here in April, after it became a Doubletree in March. As a Hilton Gold I was upgraded to a massive suite which was beautiful, although I have no idea why a one-bedroom suite needs 2 separate toilets! I saw the east wing which was clean and looked new. My room was clean, good amenities in the bathroom (Crabtree and Evelyn) and was high so I had no problems with traffic noise. As a HHonors Gold I had complimentary internet and breakfast, and had evening canapes in the executive lounge as a part of my upgrade. These were faultless, although I imagine having to pay for the internet and breakfast would have been a bit disappointing not to mention overpriced, and I am not sure what alternatives were nearby. The hotel is in Pudong, near to the metro station but a bit away from the tourist areas. If you have business in Pudong or don't mind getting about by metro then it's no problem.

The downsides to my stay were the price, relative to other hotels - it really seems that you end up paying a premium for the Hilton name, and unless you are a frequent traveller getting benefits for your loyalty, there are lots of equal or better hotels in Shanghai that you could stay in for a much cheaper price. The other thing that really grated with me was the rip-off prices in the business centre - I paid 28RMB ($4) for scanning documents. PER PAGE! I had to scan 9, frankly if I had been in less of a hurry I could probably have bought a new scanner for the same price. I appreciate that most 5 star hotels charge excessively for things like this and laundry, knowing that busy people or people whose company picks up the tab will pay, but not everyone has their expenses paid for them.

The same goes for internet, and breakfast, and all those other costs that seem to appear and be a lot more than other hotels. I enjoyed my stay here, but coupled with the higher-than-competitors price I am not sure it is something I would repeat unless something changes (or someone else pays for me!).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michelle B

Dear MichelleB,

Thank you for your review and four stars. I was happy to read that you enjoyed one of our fantastic East Tower suites. I also have found the Metro train system to be easily accessible and a great way to get around Shanghai. Sometimes (most times) traffic on the streets is very crazy. It seems I need to review the Business Center pricing, I appreciate your comments with regards to the cost to scan documents.

I hope your travels bring you back to Shanghai and the New Doubletree by Hilton Shanghai - Pudong.