1,498 results
All reviewsdouble treeeast wingthe executive loungerevolving restaurantscience museumdiamond membernice hotelbusiness tripupgraded to a suitecentury parkmaglev stationhilton shanghaihotel stafffitness centerconcierge deskan upgradehigh floor
Reviewed July 18, 2008

The Sofitel Jin Jiang was alright..
The rooms were nice, spacious, and with a good view. The bathrooms are nice and large. The beds weren`t that comfy. When i went to Shanghai it was about 35c outside, and the air conditioning did not work at all. I called about 5 people to my room but they just kind of looked at me like I was nuts. All the air conditioning does is blow air. It didnt get colder than 24c in my room.

The staff werent very helpful. I found them to be more rude than polite. Some barely spoke a word of english, and the concierge didnt either.

The only reason I stayed at this hotel was beacuse i went all over Thailand and southern china and i stayed a few nights to connect back home. Plus your looking for something that looks fairly nice and not outragious, but stay at the sofitel hyland if your looking for more of a sofitel experience.

• Stayed: July 2008
4  Thank 123losangeles123
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I stayed 2 week ends in a row, due to heavy partying in Shanghai... The hotel is in Pudong about 10 minutes Taxi from the Maglev train station (get the hotel name in Chinese before your trip, so you can show it to the taxi driver). It's also 10 minutes Taxi to Jinmao, and about 15-20 minutes Taxi to the Bund, so the location is ok, even though it's not in the middle of the old or new city. I had an executive room which was fantastic; it was large, well equipped, and clean. The TV could be upgraded to Flat Screen, after all this is a 5 stars hotel. The Bathroom was amazing as well with a view on Pudong from the bathtub. There are also really good amenities, such as a great pool, fitness center and a Spa. Service was really good as well and the food too. Only negative point was the atmosphere, too quiet for young singles, but I guess appropriate for families.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2008

having been to this hotel twice this month, I experienced the consistent lousy customer service.

Booking: I did it online. Among the selection of the hotels in Shanghai, I chose this hotel over its price not because of the location. They do offer attractive price for club room.

Location of the hotel: it is somewhat near to PVG airport. if you take the maglev train and taxi, it will take approxmiately less than an hour to reach the hotel. 10 mins walk from the hotel takes you to Lanchun subway station. There are a few good massage parlour and eateries nearby.

staff: during check-in, they never address you by name. never smile! when they speak to their staff on the phone, they speak in Shanghainese and totally ignore your existence.

During my stays (twice this month), a late check-out was pre-arranged and approved by the check-in staff. Nevertheless, each time, the check-staff did not pass on the message to the staff on the next shift. As a result, miscommunicaiton happened and I was "told" and " reminded" by the assistant manager each time. No appology was offered .

Conclusion: if you are looking for a cheap accommodation, this will be the place.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travel_man_hk
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I have had the displeasure of staying the Shanghai (Pudong) property on more than one occasion and I still can't believe I keep going back.

This property and the staff in it are a joke.

Where do I begin? Maybe with the overly expensive, yet sub standard breakfast that doesn't evolve or change at all. Just the same low quality food at the same time, from the same expressionless staff.

The housekeeping/engineering team aren't that much better. Shanghai is one of two temperatures. Hot and cold. And the hotel is the same way. The air conditioning doesn't work at all. Its loud air that blows but it’s not cold nor warm. You call engineering and get nothing but a team of people tapping around and then blankly staring at you. There is no point in calling anyone for help because they don't do a thing. I mean, the bathtub wouldn’t drain. Well after 3 days I finally had to drag someone by the hand to come to the room to deal with the situation. Did they fix the problem, no, they just drained it and informed me not to use it again.

The beds in this hotel must be a form of Chinese torture, as they are like sleeping on steel slabs. Of course they look great with white bedding and fluffy pillows. But turn the lights up and the carpet is dirty, and then you realise you are sleeping the next few nights on the equivalent of a barn floor.

Now I understand that perhaps the wait staff, housekeeping and engineering may have limited English. But the Bellmen and Concierge shouldn't. They should be pretty close to fluent. And the prices they charge for room service, laundry, etc indicates they are making a healthy profit so if the staff don't speak good English, surely the Sofitel can afford to send them to English lessons with the major markup they are making off of the dumb westeners.

Now the reason I have a problem with the bell desk is, myself and two colleagues booked a sightseeing tour of the countryside. Well, it was a day to hell. The concierge happily took our 450 RMB out of our hands. . . but failed to inform us that we would be circling greater Shangahai for 2 hours and 15 mins to collect 6 other tourists!! Then we spent another 2 hours on a bus to get to the destination. Once there we were informed we had to use the allocated public toilet that was absolutely disgusting. This is not what westerners are used too, the toilets were a breeding ground for disease, and the number of people using them surely violated some sort of capacity code! Westererns don't anticipate when they are paying $64 USD for a half day tour that they are going to have to bring their own toilet paper, meals, refreshments on a half day tour! Now of course you can say this is the problem of the tour company, but tell me this. Why didn't the concierge warn us? Tell us to bring water, food, and that it was going to be 4 plus hours til we reached our destination? Huh? When we finally got back in the evening, we went straight to the bell desk/concierge to ask how come they let us go so uninformed on this awful tour, and you know what we got? Blank stares, and no commitment, or responsibility for their actions, and not even an polite acknowledgement that they should perhaps work on their communication skills!!! The Sofitel is simply unacceptable, rude and offensive - AVOID IT if you can!
I am intrigued as a leading hotel brand how you are going to register these comments and complaints. I pray you Pudong staff are suffering from a lack of motivational management, and surely this is not your company policy on how to treat guests. . . or is it?

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights on business trip to Shanghai. The hotel is clean, something of a plus in what must be the most polluted city I have visited to date. Room was well appointed and maintenance was in good order. I think the hotel falls down in the "charm and comfort" areas with little in the way of nice areas to break out into or external gardens to stroll round. Food ok, nothing spectacular. Not Sofitel' s best effort and I would probably avoid staying here again. A 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business