All reviewsfrench concessionjapanese breakfasthuaihai roadart decostaff speakmain shoppingstar hotelcity viewbars and restaurantsbusiness tripenjoyed my staylobby areahotel is in a great locationrooms are cleanthe ground floorspent nightsmetro station
Reviewed June 14, 2007

The Okura is in a 1920's ish building, which is located in the French Concession area of Shanghai. The lobby area is well maintained and has a nice historic feel to it.

The hotel seems to target Japanese business travelers and the tour bus set.

The rooms were only so so. For the price, I expected much more. But then again the last time I was in Shanghai, I stayed at the Le Meridien so anything would probably pale in comparison to that, at least room wise. The decor was dated although everything was clean and functional. The bathroom did feature a typical Japanese toilet, with a variety of functions. Seat warmer, multiple spray options, etc. Whenever I turned the light on for the bathroom, the toilet made a "start up sound" so that took a bit of getting used to.

The internet cost was 120 rmb. Sadly it didn't always work and was painfully slow when it did.

The breakfast buffet was good and offered a large selection of items. The breakfast room was very busy.

The hotel staff was very good. All of the employees wore a nametag that indicated the languages that they spoke.

The hotel is located on a side street just off of Huai Hai Zhong Lu, which is one of the main shopping streets for Shanghai. A metra station is on the same block as the hotel. A Parkson's department store is also on the same block. The Parkson's has a nice grocery store in the basement and the ever popular McDonald's and Hagen Daz (sp?) at the front entrance of the store. A Starbucks can be found across the street from Parksons .

If you have time, take a walk around the neighborhood as you will see a nice mix of old and new China.

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed May 10, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and did again recently when my usual choice in Shanghai is unavailable. I was booked into one of the renovated rooms and was pleasantly surprised.

The renovated has a new furnishing and bathroom. The bathroom is excellent. Plenty of bright lights and very large shower area. The water pressure of the shower is real stress reliever after a long day. Being a Japanese hotel, a lot of attention has been paid to the bathroom, not forgetting the the toilet seat with warmer! The bed was on the hard side and the small pillow are not my favourite.

While the rooms are very modern looking, I cannot help but noted the hotel lobby is in need of an update.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank WeiQi
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Stayed for five days in March and was very pleased. The hotel was undergoing renovation on three floors but did not impact us in any way. Our room was a bit dated but well appointed and comfortable. The bath was great and one of the best showers I have had in a hotel. Concierge staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. The breakfast buffet should no be missed as there was delicious food for many different appetites. It was a great way to start the day. The location is great for touring and restaurants. The garden is beautiful and a serene spot in the busy city. I would definately recommend this hotel, however, I suspect the price will be higher when renovations are complete.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank klpnc
Reviewed November 28, 2006

The Okura Garden Hotel in Shanghai was a very pleasant stay. Located in the French Concession area of Shanghai, it was only a quarter mile from Metro Line 1 and a major shopping area. The rooms were very nice, clean and well-appointed. The lobby, bars, and fitness facilities (3 treadmills, 2 bicycles, stairstepper, rower, freeweights, and benches) were excellent. For over $250/night U.S., it should be good! Majority of the guests were Japanese.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Mogulette
Reviewed November 23, 2006

The write-ups and reviews of the Okura Garden led me to believe I was in or something truly special. The reality fell short of this. As a westerner perhaps I am not this hotel’s main targeted demographic, (this is a Japanese chain aimed very much for that market), but my expectations were not met.

First, let’s review what the hotel did well:
- The staff are all polite and friendly and many are multi-lingual,
- the views from the rooms are impressive,
- the food in the three in-house restaurants is good and the rooms are kept clean.
- the hotel is also conveniently close to a station on the excellent underground Metro system, which I used several times and found by far the cheapest and safest way to get around the city. (Taxis are plentiful but they drive like utter lunatics, and with seatbelts almost unknown here you risk much!)
- There is the grass garden area out front – which is pretty unique in the city. The area is not vast and the proximity of traffic and the associated smog (in sunny weather especially) means this is not quite the oasis they describe, but it is still a nice feature.

Now for the bad news:
All the talk of 5-stars, best hotel in town, etc. both on this site and others made me expect the very best hotel experience, which this was not. For this money I expected an iron in the room, not a pressing service you have to pay extra for. The air conditioning was rather old and worn out, it taking most of the day to modify the room to be comfortable, as well as taking a day or so to clear the musty smell from the system. The promised internet access proved too mysterious for my laptop to handle, which was annoying for a business trip. My minibar contents had not been replaced in so long that not only were they all well past their use-by dates, but one glass bottle shattered in my hand when I just tried to lift it – a casualty of being in the very cold fridge for months if not years!

The bed’s mattress was very firm and on one morning I found that my bedsheets had been replaced with a set that was very over-starched and that made my skin crawl. Not a good move.

I also wish the staff would learn the difference between being attentive and being pestering. I didn’t need a maid to come in for a second time in the evening to “turn down” the bed and rearrange all my things gratuitously. Maybe this is a service others value and expect but it’s the first time I’ve encountered it and I found it intrusive and rather patronising.

I don’t want to give the impression this is a bad hotel, because it is certainly a good one with service levels above many I have stayed in before. It just, in my view, does not justify the deluxe price tag -- especially when it has the competition in Shanghai from a wealth of other chains: Hilton, Four Seasons, Hyatt, etc., some of which I visited and was *very* impressed by.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business