“I'll Be Back!”

New Harbour Service Apartments
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The next time I return to Shanghai, I will be returning to this hotel. New Harbour Serviced Apartments are big, refurbished and clean; they are perfect for families or groups of friends on a budget. I believe I paid around 60 USD per night, and I stayed with 3 friends. We were extremely satisfied with what we paid for and we also believed that we got more than for what we paid for. We could have stayed in a fancy hotel, but it would have been more than half the size while paying double or more in price. Taxis and food stalls are plentiful next to this hotel. It's probably a 15 minute walk to Nanjing Road. I remember us walking from our hotel all the way to the skyline (where you can see Pudong). This hotel is also walking distance to "Old Town" as well. I forgot how much we paid for internet, but it was cheap. The hotel also has a gym and swimming pool as well, which is a big plus. I didn't care to try the hotel's restaurant, bc when you have cheap food stalls close by, that's all you're going to want, bc Shanghai is all about the street food. Overall, I was extremely happy that I stayed here.

Room Tip: If you have 3 people and under, their smallest and cheapest room is sufficient enough.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Benny L

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment. It was a very good size, with two double-bed rooms and one single-bed room. Overall the apartment was very clean. It was also in a very good location, and about 10 mins walk to People's Square. More importantly, it was near a subway station. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Flyingsheepdog
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed in New Harbour Serviced Apartments twice during our recent trip to China. On both occasions, we booked a one-bedroom apartment. We were in apartment 2006 for the first stay and in apartment 1105 for the second stay.

The good point about New Harbour is its location. It is just 150 meters away from the subway station Dashijie of line 8. Another 150 meters west of the subway station is the beginning of the major shopping street Huaihai Central Road, where you can find numerous modern shopping malls. A 15-minute walk from the apartment to the north brings you to the Nanjing East Road. Yu Yuan (Yu Garden) and the Bund can be reached by a 15-minute walk. One block west of the apartment is the Yunnan South Road where many restaurants are located. A supermarket is located on the first floor of the building, and another one is just across the street.

Apartment 1105 is more spacious than Apartment 2006, and the layouts of the two apartments are different. Apartment 1105 appeared to be refurbished recently with new cabinets in the kitchen and a washing machine in the bathroom. Both apartments have refrigerator and microwave oven. 2006 has an gas range whereas 1105 has an induction hot plate. Two sets of dining wares (cups, glasses, plates and chopsticks, spoons and folks) were provided. However, cooking utensils were not provided, but can be rented on a daily charge of 10RMB per set. We did not bother to cook as there are so many restaurants nearby. The apartments were clean. The handbook mentioned a daily charge of 70RMB for internet usage. However, if you approach the front desk, the charge is waived and you are given a password to log in.

There are some minor problems for the two apartments. For Room 2006, the hot water for the bathtub was not hot at all, just lukewarm. For Room 1105, it was the air-conditioner in the bedroom. Although we did not set the timer, the air-conditioner simply stopped functioning after one hour, and we had to restart it from time to time. Luckily the air-conditioner in the living room worked well, and we just opened the bedroom door to allow cool air to come in. We mentioned the problem to the front desk. However, it was only when we were checking out, we were told that the setting of the remote control was faulty.

Overall, what we like most is the convenient location of the apartment, and we will choose to stay in New Harbour for our next visit to Shanghai.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tonghua
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We Found the New Harbour Serviced Apartments to be perfect for our visit.
The room was clean, spacious and quiet. We thought it extremely good value considering its proximity to Nanjing Rd, Peoples Square, the Subway and TheBund.
Staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't use the eating facilities as there are plenty of bakeries etc nearby to get breakfast and we were always out at night.
Overall - we would highly recommend this hotel for people who don't need 5 star but still want a nice place to stay that is within walking distance of many attractions.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DAVO00
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel (and only learned of it) becaue of Expedia on a rather late-planned, four-day trip to Shanghai in July 2011. Trip Advisor's positive reviews sealed the deal. And I am so glad I chose it. This was a GREAT hotel. For a very reasonable rate, I had a full suite with a kitchen, living room, and bedroom, free Internet access, and a full breakfast every morning (worth paying for by the way). The location was terrific, only two short blocks from the No. 8 Metro line, and my 23rd floor room was extremely quiet in this huge metropolis. The staff was extremely helpful, and while their English is limited we made it work, and they did everything to help. I seriously can't overstate how pleased I was to find this place.

Only suggestion -- they need some pots, pans, and utensils in the kitchen. (I didn't use it, but the kitchen isn't much use without them.

And that's it. GREAT choice!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high-level room (the hotel has some 28 stories), and pay for the continental breakfast as...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Douglas D
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The title says it all - the hotel itself was nothing spectacular, but the location in Shanghai could not have been any better or more central.

Starting with the hotel, it is average in every sense of the word. The decor is as generic as can be, but the room was nice enough to come back to and crash in. There was no glaring problem with our room, aside from the bathtub drain being clogged for 3 of the 4 nights we stayed there resulting in water backup during showers (but not complete blockage). We told the front desk every day, and someone always came to look at it, but it was never fixed until our last night in Shanghai. It was a minor nuisance, but not enough to not recommend the hotel. The staff at the front desk was helpful as they could be, although some of their English was not the greatest depending on the staff member.

I would have given it a 3 out of 5 based on the hotel alone, but the location is so perfect that I had to give it a 4. Nanjing Rd. may seem like the place to stay for first time visitors (I was very close to booking a hotel there instead), but 1.) Nanjing Rd. is really not that great and doesn't warrant spending more than a couple of hours on, and more importantly 2.) you can walk to almost everywhere from New Harbour Service Apartments, which is a 10-15 min walk south of Nanjing Rd. to put it in perspective.

We are big walkers and 80% of what you want to see is within walking distance of here (The Bund, Xintiandi, Yuyuan Gardens, People's Square, Nanjing Rd. etc.). Additionally, public transportation is easily accessible and cabs are extremely cheap should you want to go further or not feel like going on foot.

For the same price, our hotel in Beijing was much much nicer and just as centrally located - but as far as Shanghai goes, this location is unbeatable, and this hotel will get the job done with no frills and without any glaring problems either. If you don't stay here, I'd highly recommend at least looking for another property in the same general vicinity.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This place could be really great, but there are too many downsides that mean it didn't quite hit the mark.

Good: Fairly large apartments. We had a 3 bedroom - 2 doubles and a single. 2 bathrooms. kitchen. Swimming pool was fine. Hot tub and sauna/steam room in changing rooms. Buffet breakfast. Location is GREAT - 5 minute walk to Metro Line 8 (1 stop to People's Square).

Bad: Nothing in the kitchen. Not even pots and pans. No washing machine in room. Gym was quite basic - fine for me as I only use treadmill but everything was old. Breakfast was very basic. Facilities are run down and tired. Spitting in the pool (common in China - but still...). No free internet.

Conclusion: Great for families with young children, but needs a management that can the place a lot more TLC!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family