New Century Grand Hotel
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Xunman Hotel(Shanghai)
View Hotel
All reviewsshopping malldowntown shanghaila olivared barchinese buffetnice hotelbusiness hotelrooms are cleansongjiangenglishairportlobbychinacabmetroconcierge
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed in the New Century Grand Hotel for four nights while on business at the nearby medical facilities of the Shanghai JiaoTong University. The hotel is about an hour's taxi drive from the airport, and as others have mentioned, no where near Shanghai's downtown (a ~30 minute taxi drive). Its lobby is spacious and attractive. The check-in went fine, with minor limitations in understanding my English. My room on the 8th floor overlooked a large park which one can readily access to walk (or jog/run) around the water on paved paths. The room was quiet, large, clean and very on par with 3/4-star US hotel rooms. The bathroom was especially upscale. Internet access (via a cable connection) was efficient. I found the breakfast buffet to be fine - a more Western style buffet was separate from a Chinese buffet, so you could sample from both as desired. A work dinner in their Chinese restaurant was excellent. A quite upscale mall is adjacent (behind) the hotel, and as you go further along its two-levels, less upscale shops & restaurants can be found. Overall a fine place to stay if you have reason to be in the Songjiang district, or do not mind the distance to downtown attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank AA.DCM
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the New Century Hotel Shanghai (Best Western) mid November 2011. This was at the end of a 15 day tour of China. The Hotel is located 40 minutes walk away from the Bund, we did this one night because we wanted some exercise; don’t do this as a taxi costs about £2.50.

The lobby to the hotel looks fabulous but that’s where the fabulousness ends. The staff behind the counter could not understand questions about the hotel (“what time is breakfast”) when asked in English. The room we had was big and high up, so no noise; it was clean and all you could want. It needed a bit of updating but nothing major. The breakfast was entertaining, mainly due to some really inefficient staff, the food was ok. We tried the room service, it was very slow and really nasty. We had the club sandwich and burger, the sandwich was cold and burger burnt to a crisp. My recommendation would be to nip over the road and grab a McDonalds. The gym was out of action whilst we were at the hotel.

The hotel is alright but I’d avoid if you can.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

clean and nice hotel.

1) check in was fast but the English standard of the staff is minimum

2) Friendly staff mostly except maybe 1 or 2 from the breakfast area. Just ignore that one or two that is a little impatient but the rest of the staff is great and very helpful.

3) internet available in the room via cable but oh-my-god to censorship of the internet in china

4) convenient, next to shops and eateries. There are a few that are opened 24 hours like KFC, taiwanese restaurants etc. You also get your alcohol fix at bars (Red Bar), starbucks, pizzas, watsons for toiletries, boutiques, electronics supermart, tesco supermarket that stocks everything you'll need.

5) very faraway from downtown about an hour away

6) room size is big with flat screen tv, safe, huge bathroom, big bed but a little hard, very clean and comfortable overall. I'm not sure why their minibar is locked though.

7) Breakfast selection is ok. Not the best but it's ok. Menu doesn't change much everyday.

8) They do have an atm at the lobby now.

Would definitely stay in this hotel again if I have to be around the area for work.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I was lucky enough to stay at this hotel while on business-

This hotel was pretty good. Seemed like a high class hotel from noticing the other guest and cars out front. They were able to help me in English, which was great. Check was smooth and the room were very nice. A large desk awaited my laptop and a large bath, with standing shower and full tub. A large bed (very firm) and flat screen, mini fridge where great. The views where good from my room, I was looking over the park and train station nearby. It was sound level was pretty quiet though out the hotel.

They have a 2 restaurants, a japanese , and a full service restaurant on lower floor, which offered a a la carte menu as well as full buffet during breakfast and dinner. They offer a wide selection on the menu, I recommend the Blasamica Steak. Room service is also availible, but the menu is shorten.

I used the laundry service twice a week, my clothes came back either hung up in the closet, or folded and very clean. Never lost an item over 3 weeks, and for the most part had them completed on same day.

The hotel is connected to a shopping mall. It was nice to walk around the shops. They had a Papa Johns pizza, Starbucks, and a Dairy Queen (DQ), and a local hot pot. There was a movie theater as well.

This area of Shanghai is about 1-1.5 hours from Downtown Shanghai. You are able to take Taxi or Train/Metro. The metro is a lot cheaper, and only a short cab ride away

The only complaint I have would be not WiFi internet in everyroom. Cable internet is provided, so I made out ok. They do have WiFI in lobby and on 27th floor. Its free with room.

I would stay here again with out a doubt. I enjoyed everyday of my stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Let's try to be concise and precise
The good:
1) Great location, adjacent to a 3-level shopping center with plenty of places to eat, shop and people watch
2) The rooms are good size, plenty of room though not as much closest/drawer spaces as other places
3) A reasonable price. The price is pretty well in line with service, quality, etc
The bad:
a) The mattress was uncomfortable. My hips ached if I slept on my side.
b) The check in-out process is not as well stream lined as other hotels.
c) The english of all but the front desk person was below expectations. Even at the front desk, the english was only sufficient.
The ugly (the stuff I relegate to comment level only)
i) There are only 3 english channels to view.
ii) I have not found that the restraurants are worth the price. Use if you do not have cash for one of the mall restarants
iii) I like to get cash with my CC and without using ATM. Swissotel in Kunshan does this for a small fee. New Century will not transfer a "room charge" to cash. They do have ATM in the lobby.
iv) They do have a fitness ctr, pool, bar/lounge, message place. I have never used any of these.
v) The number of light switches was high. Took time understanding some.
vi) The included breakfast was good enough. The choices for an avg US traveler should meet/exceed the expectation. I was always plenty full after breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business