“Great Catfish”

Back Porch Grill
Ranked #3 of 44 Restaurants in Talladega
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

We eat here regularly and the food is very good. The catfish is outstanding. The fish taste like the legendary catfish of Finchers from a few decades ago. The fried shrimp are also outstanding. If you don’t like fish and seafood, the cheeseburger is thick, feesh and delicious. The setting is great overlooking the lake.

Reviewed September 6, 2017

Good breakfast after an early morning boat ride. Plenty of boat tie-ups and a nice "Back Porch" to dine on overlooking the lake. Service was good, but extremely slow with only one waitress at opening. Eggs and hashbrowns were very good. Wife had pancakes that were very good also. and good hot coffee ( but bring your favorite mug unless you like coffee out of plastic cups)

Reviewed July 3, 2017

My husband and I went considerably out of our way to visit the Back Porch Grill and a nearby RV park on a road trip that took us through Alabama because both places had very good reviews. Although the service was very good and the location on a pretty lake was pleasant, we were disappointed in the Back Porch Grill. I had previewed the menu on the Internet, but was still very surprised to find that almost every plate that left the kitchen was piled about 8 inches high with fried EVERYTHING. It was incredible to think that any human being could eat that much fried food and survive. Perhaps as a reaction, I ordered the rib eye and my husband ordered grilled fish of some sort. The steak was very fatty, but tasty. It came with a baked potato that was served with some kind of butter substitute and a foil tube of sour cream.. My husband said his fish and hush puppies were okay. We both ordered side salads. They came out pre made in small plastic throw away bowls, The salad dressing was Paul Neuman brand packaged in foil. Over all I would say that prices were fairly modest, but they bought you pretty mediocre, unhealthy food presented in an extremely casual manner. Perhaps I would feel more favorable toward the Back Porch Grill, had we not driven 40 miles out of our way to get to the restaurant and then back on the Interstate, if I was a lover of huge amounts of fried food, and if it had not been raining so that we could sit outside under the lovely willow tree. In all fairness I feel I must add that there were many patrons in the restaurant who were happily devouring huge plates of fried food seemingly unworried of potential cholesterol problems and unconcerned about the tacky presentation.

Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

We went out of our way half hour off of hwy 20 going home based on the reviews. The fried shrimp was the best on the menu. Portions were good, prices were good. Service was very, very slow. Would not go out of my way again to go there but if I was in the area it's worth a stop.

Reviewed April 27, 2017

I do not know why more restaurants on water exist. This place is not about the food, it's about sitting down and enjoying the view and letting the stresses of life drift away.
The waitress forgot to take our food order for a while which we did not mind, since we had beer. I got an oyster po-boy or sandwich. I think only 5 oysters. Maybe they were running low. My husband got the shrimp sandwich and it had plenty of shrimp. The sandwiches were the smallest I have ever seen. A big guy would leave hungry. After you are finished you can throw your left over french fries in the water and watch the fish and ducks eat them.
I'm not from the area, and found this experience charming and a memory I will never forget. There is a large willow tree over the back deck that provides a bit of shade, but I can imagine it can get really hot during the summer. Why oh why don't more restaurants build beautiful settings like this one.
When you walk in the front door it looks like a place you buy fish bait. Don't let that turn you off. And never sit inside; just wait for an outside table, Worth it.
*** Check their hours on their website before you go.