New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa

Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Kansas City, Missouri
“It's a clean place to sleep. That's it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel as it’s new, very clean, and all of the staff I encountered were very friendly. However, to get an excellent rank from me, you must pay attention to detail, and this place has some issues.

First, the carpet in the 1/3 of my room closest to the window was SOAKED. I mentioned this to the desk clerk and 3 days later, nothing had been done about it yet. I mentioned it again at check out and it was like they’d never heard of the problem.

Second, the beds are really uncomfortable. I’m not one to be too picky about a bed to sleep in. However, even on the “softest” setting, it was still hard as a rock and I woke up with a back ache every morning.
T
he most annoying part, though was the really slow service in the restaurant…even when it’s empty. They are very friendly, but nothing gets done quickly. Every morning at breakfast, I had to flag down a waitress to ask for coffee and water and always had to get up to ask for refills. One morning, I even went back to my room to work and came back later as they were so over-whelmed…no clean plates for the buffet, and customers leaving without ever receiving their hot breakfast. Breakfast is also disgustingly overpriced. I had scrambled eggs…that’s it and ended up paying over 11.00. Those are some dang expensive eggs! Most HGIs don’t charge for a full hot breakfast when you only get one item.

The one night I ate dinner there, there were only 5 other people in the restaurant and 2 waitresses, yet I had to get up and ask for a refill, get up to ask for my check and get up to ask for a box for my leftovers. My pork loin was COMPLETELY over cooked and dry…for the prices they’re charging, this is really unforgiveable. I guess the moral of the story is, don’t eat here.

This could be a great hotel if they’d just work out a few kinks.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HGITuscaloosa, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. It is disheartening to know that we let you down. The service that you mentioned is not characteristic of our staff in our restaurant, so let me apologize for the lack of response from our servers. We do have some new staff members, but that is no excuse to not give you the attention you deserve.

Our breakfast cost is $9.95 for a complete cooked to order breakfast including continental items and buffet. We can do a modified price for continental items, but not for cooked to order items.

Your comments are a great concern to us and we have shared them with our department managers and have been addressed with our staff. We hope you will give us another try when you are in the Tuscaloosa area. Please let me know if you stay with us again, and breakfast for that stay will be on us!

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here for two weeks while moving to Tuscaloosa for a new job. The hotel staff were fantastic and were there to serve in anyway they could. The hotel is in a centrally located to restaurants, movies and of course, The University of Alabama...Roll Tide! If you are going to stay in Tuscaloosa, look no further...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Traci and John are great people and run a wonderful hotel. The location is perfect and the F&B is also great!

I will be back, HGI is a great business hotel

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Buda, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

A little loud at times but no real complaints to speak of. A free breakfast would be nice as well but then the rates would just go up. Easy to get to and convenient to UA if you are here to check out the university. We only paid 99 so call and speak to someone to get a better rate than what is normally published.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HGITuscaloosa, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa. We are glad to have served you! Relationships are so very important to us, so we look forward to your future stays. Please let us know when you visit again!
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

I'm a Hilton Garden Inn fan, and this hotel is fantastic!! I typically go to Tuscaloosa once a year on business for about a week, and I've stayed here many times. Very new, very clean, easy freeway access but exceptionally quiet and comfortable. Resaurants and even a movie theatre right out front. Walmart a short drive. It's a 20 minute drive to the Univ of Alabama campus however.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

I travel weekly to Tuscaloosa AL from Atlanta GA (job). I've actually been making this trek since October 2009, and have stayed at other hotels in the area prior to coming over to the HGI. I've been "residing" there since July 2010 and wouldnt dream of staying anywhere. The quality of service, from the front desk staff, housekeeping, management, restaurant, EVEN the cookies are always top notch. They greet me by name and make my check in, my stay, and my check-out worry free!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HGITuscaloosa, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your continued support and stays at the Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa. We are thrilled to have you with us and knowing that we provide you with the service and accommodations to which you are needing makes it worthwhile!

If we can be of further service to you for anything, please let one of our team members know.

Hospitably yours,
Director of Sales
Northport, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

The room was great and all the employees were very attentive and friendly. Breakfast room and work out facilties were wonderful.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your past stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa. We value your comments and appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we stand. It is our continued effort to make sure that we provide the best in services and amenities possible for a restful stay.

Please let us know if we can be of service in the future.