“Really horrible restaurant”

Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I let them off easy last time I reviewed this hotel because I thought maybe they just had a bad night. But, I've now had 2 of the worst meals I've ever eaten at the restaurant in this hotel. The most recent was a pasta dish with vegetables that they served IN THE PASTA WATER. No, it was not a sauce, not a broth, but the pasta water. Terrible. Previously, I had the most horribly over cooked pork chop I've ever consumed.

The first time I stayed, the room was just a typical HGI room. Clean and comfortable. This time, they upgraded me to a suite because of my Hilton status and I really wish they hadn't. REALLY in need of a remodel. In fact, I skipped the shower because it just didn't look clean and fresh.

The staff is always really friendly, though and the lobby is nice. I'd stay again, but in a regular room. I will not, however, eat in the restaurant again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank littleamen

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We love this hotel. We have stayed several times and the experience is always the same. We are warmly greeted by the front desk, and our room is roomy, clean, and has every amenity we need. The breakfast is to die for - custom made omelet. The service in the dining area is always top-notch. There are plenty of restaurants in the area for evening meals.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

this is a good hotel to stay when you're travelling. it's off the interstate. clean rooms. not located near much. a few restaurants on the frontage road walking distance are closed. good for a one or two night stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My family stayed here when we dropped our daughter off for the start of the school term.
We had two rooms, both clean with everything we needed. The breakfast was delicious and varied and we even had a glass of wine and some food in the restaurant one evening. Very nice, will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This is a quite location. It's a littlw away from town, but close to the interstate. If you want other food then the hotel resturant, it's a little drive. If you want brewed coffee before 6 am , you may want to consider the Holiday Inn Express across town, they are also closer to most of the resturants.

Room Tip: If you want coffee early look at staying somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott W
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel as it’s new, very clean, and all of the staff I encountered were very friendly. However, to get an excellent rank from me, you must pay attention to detail, and this place has some issues.

First, the carpet in the 1/3 of my room closest to the window was SOAKED. I mentioned this to the desk clerk and 3 days later, nothing had been done about it yet. I mentioned it again at check out and it was like they’d never heard of the problem.

Second, the beds are really uncomfortable. I’m not one to be too picky about a bed to sleep in. However, even on the “softest” setting, it was still hard as a rock and I woke up with a back ache every morning.
T
he most annoying part, though was the really slow service in the restaurant…even when it’s empty. They are very friendly, but nothing gets done quickly. Every morning at breakfast, I had to flag down a waitress to ask for coffee and water and always had to get up to ask for refills. One morning, I even went back to my room to work and came back later as they were so over-whelmed…no clean plates for the buffet, and customers leaving without ever receiving their hot breakfast. Breakfast is also disgustingly overpriced. I had scrambled eggs…that’s it and ended up paying over 11.00. Those are some dang expensive eggs! Most HGIs don’t charge for a full hot breakfast when you only get one item.

The one night I ate dinner there, there were only 5 other people in the restaurant and 2 waitresses, yet I had to get up and ask for a refill, get up to ask for my check and get up to ask for a box for my leftovers. My pork loin was COMPLETELY over cooked and dry…for the prices they’re charging, this is really unforgiveable. I guess the moral of the story is, don’t eat here.

This could be a great hotel if they’d just work out a few kinks.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
HGITuscaloosa, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. It is disheartening to know that we let you down. The service that you mentioned is not characteristic of our staff in our restaurant, so let me apologize for the lack of response from our servers. We do have some new staff members, but that is no excuse to not give you the attention you deserve.

Our breakfast cost is $9.95 for a complete cooked to order breakfast including continental items and buffet. We can do a modified price for continental items, but not for cooked to order items.

Your comments are a great concern to us and we have shared them with our department managers and have been addressed with our staff. We hope you will give us another try when you are in the Tuscaloosa area. Please let me know if you stay with us again, and breakfast for that stay will be on us!

Hospitably Yours,
Traci Channell
Director of Sales

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here for two weeks while moving to Tuscaloosa for a new job. The hotel staff were fantastic and were there to serve in anyway they could. The hotel is in a centrally located to restaurants, movies and of course, The University of Alabama...Roll Tide! If you are going to stay in Tuscaloosa, look no further...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business