“A great girls weekend - relaxing and regenerating!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat

Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Panama City, Panama
“A great girls weekend - relaxing and regenerating!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

From the moment we walked into the wellness center, we felt calm & tranquility. We did yoga every day, sometimes 2x per day and enjoyed the Hammam/plunge pool immensely. We had our stars read, did a nutrition counseling & had a very interesting Chi Kung class. We laid by the pool and read, with an attentive staff (Carlos) who happily brought us smoothies and chatted with us. The food was good, a little bland but very in-line with healthy spa food. We loved the Hummus, Almond Miso Chicken and all the fresh baked breads. We drank the tea (no coffee is offered, which is disappointing since it is Costa Rica) and drank the organic wine, it was good. The views from our rooms were amazing and we watched the sunset every night, with all the windows wide open.

We stayed 3 nights, 4 days - the perfect amount of time. Had we stayed day longer, we would have done one of the excursions. This is not a place to go to meet people, but to enjoy the ones you are with! I would definitely recommend if you are looking for a weekend to detox (kind of), relax and reconnect with your friends or family.

Room Tip: Take the 2nd floor, views are better.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LCJ2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Selden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

My sister and I just returned from a 7 day program Asclepios. Can't wait to go back. Everything was perfect. I can't think of anything I didn't love. The rooms are tastefully decorated and the grounds are beautiful. I was able to run or walk every morning at the sugar cane/coffee plantation next door. The food was unbelievably good. There is not a thing I didn't absolutely love. The chef, Dayanna, is very nice. We had two cooking classes with her and I already made one of the dishes at home. Can't wait to try out some of the other recipes. The service was impeccable. Our waiters, Augustine and Carlos were great. We never wanted for a thing. They really helped make our stay at Asclepios special. The spa was fantastic as well. I especially loved the hot stone massage with Melissa and the Thai massage with Ramon. We had different classes every morning, yoga, stretching, etc. The view from the pool was great. It was very relaxing to sit there during our limited free time. We also went on a tour to Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens. Francisco, our guide was very knowledgeable and I highly recommend this excursion. We are already planning our return trip next year!

Room Tip: I prefer the second floor rooms with balcony as the view is better but all the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mauibabe7
King, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Randy and I had a wonderful time of healing here. We have been in marriage counseling with Imago Therapy with http://www.rickbrown.org/ which works! Then we decided to take a healing vacation here to Costa Rica. I can not say enough about the healing atmosphere of this special place. It is magical. Thanks to all staff and to Marisia Jiménez's vision. Your are a blessing.

We had wonderful wines from Central America each night with dinner on the terrace. They were excellent and reasonably priced. I took the cooking class and enjoyed it very much. The food is minimalist here but I felt so much better eating so lightly and healthy after our week here. It was fresh and well prepared. The salads are amazing. Although they did not have arugula as the menu stated. I think it must be hard to plan for so few people. This is an intimate place.

I really got into the whole healing process while here especially my emotions reading "Memory Palace" by Mira Bartok. The resting room is to be used properly. It would help to read up on healing modalities as this is a true healing place that seems ageless. Having studied Greek mythology helped too as this place oozes with it.

Ready to face the world and make life changes after our visit. Muchas gracias ,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vivian F
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

The place is nice, although they could have done a better job with the landscaping. The treatments where expensive but good, and the staff was wonderful. The treatment rooms are really nice, brick with caña brava ceilings! We had a one day package that included steam room a full body scrub, vinichy shower (highly recommend it), meditation room, a facial and a massage. The steam room is awesome!!! It is a stand alone building built in the style of a Moroccan Hamman (I think thats how its spelled), anyhow, it was great! The rest of the treatments where very good, and the oils and soaps where all organic and smelled great! The pool is small but has an amazing view and comfortable lounge chairs. I must say that my only complaint was the food!!! It was bad and expensive. I know they where trying to go for organic and healthy, but it was just plain bad. I have eaten at many vegan, organic and healthy places, so I know that this type of food, although light, does not have to taste bad. The waiter was very polite about it but the front desk person was a little snooty at checkout stating that he was sorry we did not enjoy our meal but that it must be that we are not used to this "style" of cooking... kinda patronizing!! what we are not used to is crappy expensive food!!! Reading some of the other reviews it is clear that I am not the only one who feels this way about the food. Anyhow although we had a bad restaurant experience I do recommend the hotel and the spa treatments. We left rejuvenated :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BubblyT
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We spent four nights here in January 2012. We had hoped for a wonderful experience but didn't get what we expected.

The view from the rooms is stunning, and the rooms are beautiful with folding doors opening one full wall to the outside which is great. Although with only sheer curtains, the room was blazing bright at 6 am making it impossible to sleep in. The grounds themselves are very minimal, mostly just grass. The pool is beautiful, but runs about 75 degress, so too cold for me (or anyone else when I was there). The jacuzzi runs about 85 degrees.

The staff are attentive, but it's a bit over the top at times, bordering on annoying. Still, the staff are customer oriented and try their best to make the stay pleasant given what they have to work with.

The restaurant is very limited with only 5 non vegitarian dishes on the menu, and the same menu at lunch and dinner. Only one dish did not involve fish, so I ate a lot of chicken there. I'm not a huge seafood fan, and steamed fish doesn't do it for me. And this is the crux of the issue here, the place is not about pampering you, it's about healthy. So while they talk about gourmet food they offer little selection and what they do offer is boring. A dinner would be a marinated fried chicken breast with a dozen or so green beans. Dessert would be soemthing like a half a strawberry and a quarter of a mango with three pieces of a parchment kind of pastry. I will say the salads were incredible. The continental breakfast was typically 2 orange segments and 2 or 3 slices of pinapple and papaya, wiht a half a glass of a smoothie.

We had quite a discussion about coffee as apparently the owner doesn't believe in it and won t' serve it. Our waiter, who was wonderful, went to bat for us and we did end up getting coffee as did everyone else there that weekend. But I never saw that waiter again. I asked about him, and the front desk swore he was not fired but I do worry about the poor man who worked so hard to make his guests happy.

The other waiter, Carlos, was excellent and really made the resort. Without him I can't imagine what our time there would have been like. He brought life to what otherwise seemed like a long term care facility.

Did I mention that the only alcohol they serve is a local wine which I found undrinkable? Nothing else. The only choices for beverage at all were tea, wine and smoothies. You couldn't even get a glass of juice and of course milk is impossible.

My wife did several treatments and found them to be fine, good, but nothing special, nothing you couldn't get at any other spa in Costa Rica, or a better version of at home. Although there are some treatments not offered at spas that may interest some.

All in all, the point is that this is not a spa. On reviewing the website again, it never lies, but it really doesn't properly convey that this is not a place to come for fun, it's a place to come if you want to do a program like Detox or weight control or some such thing.

So in the end, unless there is a service you really want that only they offer, you would be far better off to go to a spa retreat. There is a spa about 10 miles away with similar views, nature trails, organic foods and many treatments where you can feel pampered and spoiled rather than like you are recovering from surgery. If however you really want a wellness retreat I will say that this place is beautiful and the staff are very attentive and caring, so you may find what you want here.

Room Tip: The upper floor rooms such as Eros and |Zeus are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Scott T
budapest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I spent the day at Asclepios with a group of girlfriends. Most of us had a day package, though a few of us had a la carte treatments. My $95 facial was decent, not the best I've ever had, but definitely the most expensive I've ever had! It did not last a full hour.

We also had a full lunch at the restaurant. I am impressed that most of their food is organic and local, and the main courses were very good. However, I do believe the lunch was also slightly overpriced ($35). We had a choice between chicken, fish and yuca patties. Each dish came with a simple salad (greens with parmesan, figs and almonds), a dessert (papaya pure and grilled pineapple) and water.

The pool area is small but nice, and the view is superb. The rooms are simple, but very nice.

I would recommend it, but only for a discounted rate.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank tstone28
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We booked for a few nights this past November 2011. The staff were professional and (Arelys in particular) extremely helpful in booking treatments and excursions. If you go on the excursions be sure to ask for Francisco. He speaks fluent English and can provide a wealth of information about Costa Rica, its people, history, and destinations. He works through the hotel and operates Tico Tours.
The resort is located in the picturesque mountains of Costa Rica's interior nestled among sugarcane fields, coffee bean fields, and nearby Alajuela (not a great place for tourists except for its awesome wood factory). It is not within walking distance to any other restaurants or shops. It does, however, have its own restaurant that serves fresh organic cuisine for the health conscious traveler. If you want burgers and steaks you will not want to dine here. They do serve wine, but do not serve cocktails or beer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. It is easier to access and offers more privacy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krazeyraze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
5.4 km away
Hotel Buena Vista
#5 of 29 in Alajuela
10.1 km away
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,657 reviews
24.6 km away
Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center

Been to Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat? Share your experiences!