1,021 results
All reviews hiking trails central valley infinity pool san jose private jacuzzi costa rica botanical gardens overlooking the valley coffee plantation our honeymoon twinkling lights large balcony beautiful grounds rooms are huge main building before flying home dogs barking
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We had a truly remarkable trip to Xandari early in August. With the "Green Season" discount we got 3 nights for the price of 2. We have a Ultra Premium Villa which was amazing. High quality location by any western standards. Great restaurant, wonderful spa, beautiful rooms, fantastic amenities. Really I have nothing but the best to stay about Xandari. I am hoping to go back soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We stayed at Xandari our last night in Costa Rica. We didn't get a lot of time to explore, but what we did see was beautiful. It is the perfect place to stay for a first or last night before flying out of San Jose. A short (but absolutely terrifying) 15 minute drive to the airport. Driving in Alajuela is a nightmare and I'd recommend against it. The food is amazing and very reasonably priced for a resort of this caliber. The only downfall is that there is no sleeping in here. The rooms are very bright in the morning and you can also hear your neighbors. You have to keep in mind that you still are very close to the city so we heard dogs barking all night, and traffic noise from the roads and airport, but any place near San Jose will have this. I wouldn't recommend making this the only place you visit in Costa Rica, but it is an amazing place for a few nights!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rochchalk08
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was my second stay at Xandari. Last Nov I stayed in an Ultra Villa (#19) and this trip I stayed in a Prima Plus Villa (#24). Both were exceptional. Xandari gets it right in so many ways. The service is top-notch, the staff is always on hand to take care of anything you may ask. The views from all villas are exceptional, looking out over the valley with the airport in the distance. The rooms are done with whimsy and functionality and are huge, fitted with a coffee-maker, fridge, safe, bathrobes, extra blankets & pillows, a fan, umbrellas and nice, plush towels. If you have trouble walking up a slight grade for about 5-10 minutes I would stay closer to the restaurant reception. Although there is always a golf cart to come and get you if you want if you stay closer to the spa area.

The design and artistry of the villas, grounds and spa are inspiring. There is more than enough to keep you busy if you want with trails and walking around the grounds taking in the beautiful plants, trees and birds. The spa is also top notch, open palapas looking out over the valley. The restaurant is also supreme, with interesting and tasty dishes. I would note that the bocas served at lunch are very big portions - I made the mistake of ordering 2 of them thinking they would be small servings but 1 of them was plenty.

Two things I would note: bring a fleece or light jacket, it tends to get quite nippy, especially at night or if it rains. Blankets are thoughtfully provided in the restaurant and several other guests, as well as myself, were needing them at dinner. The other thing is that I would really try to maximize your time here. If I had a late arrival and early departure, I would probably stay somewhere else less expensive, but if you have a full day to devote here than the price, to me, is very reasonable for what you get in return.

I would highly recommend staying here, it is not just a hotel but an experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank midori
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Xandari gets me... The owners have truly thought of everything. The villas are so well designed, spacious and functional yet unique and so colorful and vibrant. The hiking trails are magical, the restaurant is wonderful and has a gorgeous view of the city lites of Alejuela (as well as the villas). We had a villa with a little courtyard so the bathroom door opens to it and when you are in the beautiful shower, you are overlooking the courtyard. The sliding doors are huge in the bedroom and in the sitting area so when all the doors are open, it creates a lovely cross breeze. Enjoyed a great book during a downpour with all the doors open, looking across that lovely view. The couple massage in our own jalapa was unbelievable. With a waterfall roaring nearby and the open air view of the rain forest was again, magical. Marcela really went out of her way to accomodate us in every way. Marcos in the restaurant was very sweet and attentive. Xandari is not cheap, but it is very reasonable and they don't nickle and dime you. Free waters, juices, restaurant prices VERY reasonable and great quality and healthy foods. The Xandari special salad is amazing. Plus, they grow many of their fruits and vegetables so the food is sooo fresh. If I ever run away, I will be at Xandari. Can't wait to try Xandari by the sea. I'm sure they have thought of everything!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leedean
Reviewed May 24, 2010

What a great place! I found this hotel using Trip Advisor, and I am SO happy I trusted the other reviews!

Our driver was a delight, he picked us up from the Nature Air Airport in San Jose. He was very curtious with plenty of information and great conversation.
Once arriving to the hotel we were welcomed with more smiling faces and fresh squeezed pineapple juice... which was absolutely delicious!

After being shown our room, which was just beautiful... we had another absolutely delicious moment, our lunch! This restaurant has the BEST food!!
Immediately after our lunch, we began to explore the grounds. This was quite an adventure... everything from the pirvate orchid greenhouse, to the farm animals (which were hillarious), waterfalls, pools, orchards, trails... and last but not least the clouds that came right up to our blacony! I had never been in the clouds before, on foot that is... super cool!!

We had a 5pm Spa appointment that was truly out-of-this-world! We booked 1 hour deep tissue massages with a 30 min jacuzzi after. I can speak for both of us... this was the best deep tissue massage either of us have ever had. Serious Deep Tissue.

Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Our Room, the Staff, the Grounds/ Pool, Etc.... everything here was Superior!

We only had 1 night here at Xandari before we had to fly home, but I would most certainly stay here again. What an ending to our vacation!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple