See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 16, 2016 via mobile

Hotel Mi Tierra is run by some incredible folks. If you need to stay near the airport (lots of 6am flights) THIS is the spot. The hotel is about 10mins from the airport. If you want to spend some time in Alajuela the location couldn't be better. The central plaza is only a few blocks away and a few blocks more you are at the central market.

The hotel is has simple, clean rooms with TV and fan. The price is great and there are options for even more economical stays (such as shared bathroom). The pool is just right for a cool dip or hanging around. Breakfast is included.

This is a great option for those staying in the central valley.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jake L
Reviewed February 11, 2016 via mobile

Great hotel close to the airport ($4-6 in cab), perfect for late or early flights. Clean, comfortable rooms, breakfast included, showers were hot, and most of all Roberto and his staff are incredibly welcoming. Helped us with buses, cabs, and recommended restaurants nearby. We arrived at 1am and had no problems checking in, front desk is 24hrs but still send an email to let them know your timing, they respond within a day. We liked it so much we booked our last night here too. Thanks for a wonderful stay Roberto, Pura Vida!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2015

This is is a HOSTAL not a hotel. You are not allowed to at night! The owner very rudely kept knocking at out door to tell us to SHUT UP. The pool was empty buy since it rains a lot it was filled with murky water and it had mosquitoes. Little did I know that was the cause that sent me to the hospital on my way back from Costa Rica. There is a HUGE campaign against the "Chikungunya" virus as soon as you enter the San Jose Costa Rica Airport and they tell you to avoid places with mosquitoes. This hostal was heaven for these mosquitoes. I got sick exactly seven days later when I returned to Mexico. Despite me getting sick, me and my friend had the urge to check out the very next morning we spent the night into "Mi Tierra". The worst place I've stayed in my life. I used to avoid any kind of Inns but staying at this hostal made any Inn anywhere in the world a 5 star resort! Beware of the owner, he is rude, mean and he feels disrespected if you don't agree to have breakfast at this unhealthy place of his. We had no sheets nor blankets, only one pillow and a mattress, OMG! The place is fallen apart. This was someone's house and it really is in a bad shape and smells rotten. If you feel like sharing the bathroom with other 10 unknown persons, this is your kind of place. Obviously, you have to have your own towel and the water is cold. No hot water. Our flight landed in Costa Rica at midnight and when we arrived at "Mi Tierra" we had to literally knock at the door for the owner to open for us. He was in a very bad mood and he even lectured us: "What kind of time is this to check in?" NEVER STAY THERE! I was in the hospital 7 days later and my bill came up to almost $900us thanks to the unhealthy hostal "Mi Tierra" By the way, the pictures shown anywhere online for this hostal ARE FAKE! If anyone needs to see proof ask me for pictures.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are clean!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2015 via mobile

We only stayed for one night before heading to La Fortuna & had a great stay. Roberto was extremely helpful as soon as we arrived & has a wealth of knowledge to share about Costa Rica travel. Nice breakfast of eggs & black bean rice. Easy to get to from the airport, we paid $4 in a taxi. Would really recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katieo203
Reviewed August 2, 2015 via mobile

The pool was greenish with algae, the paint was coming off the walls and the bathroom was in a bad state (sink faucet barely worked). Yet... I would totally recommend this place if you're a family travelling on a budget. Roberto was friendly and very helpful, the room was clean despite being a bit decrepit. Wi if never worked for us.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family