“Great vaction hotel”

Hotel Lavas del Arenal
Reviewed 31 January 2016 via mobile

Hi,we stay at hotel lavas del arenal for 5 days with the adrenaline tour also.this hotel has the best service,the staff is just awesome,the food is the best in costa rica,we love the gallo pinto!
The hotel is nice,always clean when we came back from the tours,wi-fi works everywhere,transportations starting from the airpot and to every tour are include.we had a great time at the sunday kareoke night.we can't wait to go back and stay at the lavas del arenal hotel.thanks mario!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yinvalenz24

Reviewed 23 January 2016

Stayed here during an adrenaline in costa rica groupon tour. The facilities and rooms are basic, nothing fancy. The meals at the restaurants, especially the complimentary breakfasts were delicious, very authentic costa rican food. The pool is small but clean and all around the premises there are beautiful plants with hummingbirds, frogs and geckos hanging about. The customer service was excellent, all of the staff were helpful. It does help to know some spanish, becuase when we were there, no one on staff spoke any english and we had t use gogle translate for things like paying our bill or housekeeping type requests. All in all i would stay here again, it felt great to unwind after a long day on the tour by the pool or veranda.

Room Tip: All rooms are basically the same, top floor rooms have a small view of the volcano outside the door.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jordan V
Reviewed 21 January 2016

I booked a last minute one-week trip with Adrenaline in Costa Rica through Groupon. This was a surprise trip for my mom, and I was somewhat hesitant whether she was going to share the same spirit of adventure with me. When I spoke with Mario (owner) over the phone he explained about different tour options and advised me that if my mom was not into adventurous outdoors activities she could pick more leisurely tours. Mario emailed us a detailed itinerary for our seven day vacation shortly after we talked on the phone. The tours consisted of ziplining, white water rafting, ATV riding around Arenal volcano, Cerro Chato / Rio Celeste hikes and the Baldi hot springs resort.

Since we missed our flight due to traffic, and the following flight kept getting delayed, we arrived 4 hours late to the San Jose airport. Despite the lateness, Mario arranged for us to be picked up from the gate right away. On the way from the airport to Lavas del Arenal, Carlos (the driver) shared some of the interesting facts about the places we were passing by such as the Zarcero topiary park and about costa rican culture and its people in general. He was very knowledgeable and professional. We arrived at the hotel past 3 am. The kitchen lady was very kind to leave us dinner in the microwave.

Since we arrived later than expected, Mario made arrangements to substitute our early morning tour for the Baldi Hot Springs which we loved.

The hotel was very peaceful, clean and well maintained. Our room was very spacious and came fully equipped with a TV, Microwave, AC and a Mini-Fridge (for girls, there is no blow-dryer, so expect to bring your own). The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating; and made us feel welcomed. On the weekends, there was music and karaoke hosted by a DJ. Also, if you are into wild life and photography, make sure you check out the “blue-jeans” dart frogs by the creek or the early morning toucans by the pool area.

I have to mention that we changed our itinerary at least 4 times because my mom was going back and forth with whether she wanted to do rafting and ziplining (she has never done either). At the end she decided to do all the tours together with me. Mario was always easy to reach and willing to accommodate our needs/requests. Thank you for being flexible!

We loved all of our tours. They were interesting, full of adventure and very well-guided. I would highly recommend the ziplines and white water rafting which were my favorites. By the end of our 5th day, we decided to extend our stay by 3 more days. I lost about $400 for changing the flight tickets with zero regrets.

This 10-day stay left us wonderful life-time memories. I would highly recommend Adrenaline in Costa Rica if you want to have a Pura Vida experience.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria K
Reviewed 9 January 2016

I took a tour package through Adrenaline Tours and stayed at the Hotel Llavas de Arenal. The hotel has basic facilities, nothing fancy, BUT the service is exceptional and the food is exceptional! The hotel staff treated me almost like family. They made every effort to take care of any requests I might have. The four ladies taking care of the guests: Andrea, Carolina, Maria-Jose, and ?, work so hard all day but always have a smile on their face and make every effort to make the guests comfortable. None of them speak English but that doesn’t stop them from understanding and catering to the guests needs. They somehow make it work! The Property Manager had the tour schedules of all the guests and kept all the schedules organized and reminded us every day of our next day’s schedule. One of the days she even made Pina Colada for me! 
They offer a shuttle service from the San Jose airport (2.5 hour drive). The driver Carlos is very professional and with a big smile on his face. He also doesn’t speak English, but that doesn’t stop him from making the guests feel comfortable and safe. He picks up and drops off people at any time we request. He picked me up at 5.30AM and drove me back to the airport at 2.30AM through dense foggy/cloudy roads with very low visibility!
The restaurant provides freshly cooked, healthy, delicious Costa Rican meals at very affordable rates ($10 for a lunch). One day our tour was scheduled to end late. They asked us what we wanted to eat for dinner in the morning and had the meals ready and waiting for us when we got back! I am vegetarian which seemed not such a common thing in Costa Rica. But once they knew I don’t eat meat, they got very creative with my meals to provide me with a very delicious and complete meal every time. I didn’t have to survive on salad and chips! 
The hotel is located at about a 10 min drive from the closest town. That makes it a little difficult to check out the local restaurants or stores if we don’t have a car. But you can take a taxi to town if you are willing to spend $10 every time.
There is a beautiful creek flowing through the property and a beautiful garden+pool to relax after the day’s activities.
The tour package is very well organized. Mario organizes the tours to every last detail and even lets people make last min changes to the activities. The zip-lining, rapelling, rafting, hiking etc were all very well coordinated and the tour guides were well-qualified and helpful.
Costa Rica is such a beautiful country and the Costa Ricans are such friendly people! I had a very memorable time there and I hope to be back there to explore some more of Costa Rica some day!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Sonali M
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

We booked a groupon package called adrenaline. Everything went really smooth with no surprises or difficulties. The hotel is more like a cabin stay, don't expect a resort. The staff was friendly, accommodating and very patient with our language barrier. The room was clean, the pool was nice and the breakfast was wonderful.

If you have the chance to do the adrenaline package, do it! The ATVs, zip line and climbing Cerro Chato were challenging and incredibly rewarding. The tour guides are really good at what they do. They are incredibly skilled, knowledgable and passionate people. They really made this an exceptional vacation, so tip them well.

Mario organized the whole thing and was very quick to respond to my questions. I wouldn't have changed a thing, it was a great experience.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 December 2015 via mobile

Booked late during the Xmas season and this was what I could find. Room was clean, staff reasonably friendly. They didn't speak much English and my Spanish is very bad. Price was not worth what I paid, but maybe you'll get a better price when the whole town isn't sold out.

Pros: Quiet, clean. Breakfast was good, cooked to order. Staff mostly friendly. Wifi. Kids liked the smallish unbeaten pool and pool tables. Towels folding into interesting shapes for you.

Cons. Hot water in the shower needed to flow slowly (still during Dec 2015). I never had to turn on the cold water in the shower because the "hot water" wasn't all that hot. It wasn't cold or uncomfortable, just never hot and if I turned up the flow rate it did get cooler. No wash cloth (still trying to figure out of this is a Costa Rica thing as some hotels have supplied wash cloths and some haven't).

The sink in the main room only had cold water. The sink in the small bathroom, though labeled as having hot water had one PVC pipe which then split to feed both faucet controls cold water.

Room lighting was stark, 2 fluorescent light bulbs (light type that you'd use in a garage) that didn't really illuminate the room. When one burned out, it was hard to see.

Sheets were clean but not great quality. The bed mattresses were not supportive and were painful to sleep in (maybe that's normal for Costa Rica).

Parking could be a bit of a pain as some folks parked in the driveway.

Hotel staff told me my ride wasn't going to get us. When I called the ride service they told me that the hotel had said they had no way of contacting me (though they obviously did to let me know my ride wasn't coming). I did get picked up, but I figured this was worth a mention.

Bottom line, this was a poor value for me. I paid way too much for the quality of the hotel. Might be worth it if you get a good rate and speak Spanish.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 December 2015

This room was booked for us via Mario as part of an adrenalineincostarica.com groupon. We paid around $1100 for the Arenal adventure and Jaco beach package and we got way more than what we bargained for. Carlos and Mario responded to us very quickly via WhatsApp. Carlos was our private driver most of the time and he was very friendly to us and that guy has a great fashion sense. He took us to see the Poas Volcano's and the La Paz waterfall on the way to our hotel at Lavas de Arenal and took us to see the Alligators on our way to Jaco as he excitingly drove us.

When we arrived at our hotel at Lavas De Arenal the receptionist with the tongue piercing was very friendly and the entire staff treated us like family. For example, they would leave us written messages from Mario about the next days activities, would wait for us at night to make sure we arrived safely, questioned us when we got breakfast somewhere else one morning, and would turn off our air conditioning when we went on our amazing daily adventures. The room was very clean with hot water, the facility was beautiful with a creek outside the kitchen.

All in all Mario and the staff at Adrenaline in Costa Rica made this a trip of a lifetime and we are very grateful.. Pura Vida!!!

Room Tip: Let Mario arrange the cab into town. It is only $8 each way.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple