“Beautiful and Hospitable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge
Easley, South Carolina
“Beautiful and Hospitable”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Located on a large, beautifully landscaped mountain side, with a view of Volcano Arenal, we were treated to several nights of paradise. The lodge is beautifully crafted with a large, open air living space and accommodating kitchen. There is plenty of nature to enjoy, including a waterfall on the property, several walking paths and hiking trails nearby.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chelsea C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed with our family and friends from January 10 thru 16. The place is absolutely beautiful and if you are into adventure you will find it right on this 25 acre property. My wife and I along with two others hiked down to the first waterfall and decided to walk down the river (literally in the river) to the other waterfall. It was an amazing adventure in itself. One of the best adventures of the week and it was free.

Pros:
- The Owner lives up at the entrance about a hundred yards away from the villas and is very helpful and accommodating. He stays out of your way and is there when called on.
- Absolutely stunning tropical plants and trees.
- You feel like you are in the middle of the jungle/rain forest
- Bugs and bug bites were surprisingly at a minimal. I had 2 bites all week and didnt wear any bug spray
- Pool is a small hike down and is a little slimy on the bottom but served its purpose.
- We saw small harmless snakes, very colorful butterflies, small crabs, white nose cotie,and of course Pako and Luna, the "owner" and guard dog. Friendly dogs but will come down at the scent of food.
- Great place to gather with your friends. We played on the third level and hung out each night with lots of great bonding. Accomodates large groups nicely.
- The owner provided cereal and freshly picked star fruit the first morning. We went to the local grocery store for our groceries for the week.
- I personally picked some star fruit from the property and my mother-in-law picked some fresh limes we like to call loranges. Because they look like a hybrid of limes and oranges. Could have picked coconuts but they were not ripe yet.
- Ourdoor warm shower was really cool.
- Surprisingly clean for a lodge of this sort
- Locks on doors
- You dont have to worry about your stuff. Owner and the hired help do not go through your things. At least nothing was taken that is, ha.
- Some locals on the property were cutting sugar cane and gave us some to try. Pretty cool.
- Sheets and pillow cases were clean except one sheet that had a dried in stain.
- A lot of peculiar wood work and decor around.
- I love how the whole property connects. Even the trails. YOu ant get lost, just keep walking.
- Normal plumbing

Cons:

- Eco lodge means one towel and one sheet all week. Should have known.
- Only a few of us had warm showers all week. Mainly because the hot water wasnt turned on until the second night. Still some didnt ever get a warm shower
- The hot tub that is in the shape of a mcCaw was empty. Thoroughly disappointing.
- It was somewhat warm at night. Only fans are provided. You sleep with doors and windows open.
- the long bumpy drive to and from the property sucked but was expected because it is out in the middle of nowhere.

Overall I enjoyed my stay but I was taking the pulse of the whole group to come up with these pros and cons. Some were expecting less some were expecting more. If you come in with no expectations and an adventurous mind you will love it.

My average rating is mainly due to not telling us the hot tub was empty and the cold showers. No one wants cold showers. If those two things were in check this would be a very good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you go with a large group, I would stake out the rooms on the left that have nice fans.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tyree21
USA
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I was so disappointed when I arrived at the Princesa de la Luna Eco Lodge. It looked clean in the photos but is little more than a shelter in the jungle. It is a 15 minute, $10 taxi ride up a mountain road from La Fortuna and the host, John, has no food or beverages for sale on the property, so basically you're trapped up there with zero amenities.

3 of the 5 lights in my room didn't work and the room was quite dark during the day. There was green algae growing in the pool, two cockroaches in our room, two dogs that are smelly (and I like dogs!) and beg for food and jump on guests. The owner has some nerve charging $100/night for this place! He acts as though he is doing you a favor, like you're staying in his home for free. When we asked what to do if the weather turns bad, he said "I don't know what to suggest." He's a nice guy but I think he's in the wrong business -- too apathetic and completely unprofessional for the hospitality industry. I felt trapped at this awful place and couldn't wait to get away. I DO NOT RECOMMEND! Stay anywhere else if you have the option.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank MoreToSee12
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Halfway november, my girlfriend and I spend some time in Costa Rica. After driving all day, it was already dark, we decided to check if we could get a room in 'princesa de la luna'. We had just seen a sign on the side of the road, we didn't make any phonecall beforehand. The owner was a bit surprised at first, but gave us a very warm welcome. I had to become friends with the dog first, witch isn't easy for someone with a fear of dogs. But I got over it and I even liked the gentle giant.
At the time, we were the only guests, so we had the entire house to ourselves. What a treat!
The place is just stunning and the big room had the biggest bed I ever slept in.
We woke up, in the middle of the jungle with a fantastic view on the volcano, and in great luxury.
We spend 2 nights here and felt like we didn't want to leave anymore. Jonathan, the owner was extremely helpfull and we enjoyed having breakfast together with him. He is not your typical hotel owner and a very nice person to talk with.
We also had a walk in the huge garden and went all the way down to the river at the bottom. It's a bit of an adventure and the paths needed some work at the time, but we felt like we were Indiana Jones.
All together, I would love to go back. It's been 2 months and the fact that I am writing this now means I am still thinking about it. Need to say more?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom V
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed at Princesa de la Luna last weekend, I think this is the best place if you want to feel really close to nature. There's nothing better for me than having breakfast in front of the Volcano, listening to the sounds of the jungle. Rooms are confortamble and roustic, and the fact that the hotel is not big, gives the great feeling of comfort and relaxation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I like many others used Trip Adviser to look at this accommodation before booking and am happy to report it lived up to all our expectations we could of easily stayed twice as long.
I would like to thank the staff who made us feel so welcome.
There's so many places to see in the world but we will return one day.

Room Tip: All looked good to us
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed here for 3 days in October. The hotel is exactly like the photos. Nature everywhere. Beautiful view with trees and flowers all around with fresh flowers and fruits from the area and a secluded pool that seems to be part of the forest. The hotel has many levels, was designed and built by the owner, a charming englishmen, who is always nearby to join in conversation or lend a hand to anything that is needed. Very quaint ambiance. The food was excellent, rooms clean, and overall, fantastic. I'm going to try to return here again in 2012.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple