“Serving up poor food, meat and high prices”

The Flying Tomato A Vegetarian Experience
Good for: View
Good for: View
Reviewed December 10, 2015

Being a vegetarian, I sought this place out and have never been more disappointed. The place is small, with dogs staring you down, and cigarette smoke wafting in for your dining pleasure. I was the only person "dining" there and it the food took a very long time to arrive, and when it did, the edges of the rice were crusty and dried out (crack your teeth on it hard), small portions and huge prices. Qualifies as the worst meal I had in Costa Rica.

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank Excalibur13

Reviewed September 21, 2015

Unfortunately we didn't have a positive experience at The Flying Tomato. We ordered two vegetarian dishes which were basically small portions of boiled, frozen vegetables. The fruit juices were weak made with water and very little fruit. Overall is was a disappointing dining experience as we were expecting the food to match the homemade style of the place, which it did not. To top it all off it was extremely expensive! Avoid.

Date of visit: September 2015
2  Thank Herukhea
Reviewed July 16, 2015

The restaurant is tiny and has a cute cosy feel to it. I couldn't resist the prospect of soy ham after a long streak on rice and beans, so I ordered the Pizza Hawaiana without pineapple. I hadn't had pizza in Costa Rica before, so maybe this is normal, but the pizza was TINY! I think they could have mentioned in the menu that it is a mini-pizza. The taste itself was OK, even though the crust was clearly ready-made. It cost 4000 colones. I understand that soy ham and cheese are expensive, so maybe some other portions for the same price are bigger. I was the only customer around 2 o'clock. The service was friendly.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed May 8, 2015

We were a little apprehensive about visiting the Flying Tomato after reading a harsh review on here however we had a great experience.
The owner was very friendly and the food was great. If you're vegan or vegetarian (if you're vegetarian stop supporting animal abuse and go vegan!) then the Flying Tomato is definitely worth a visit.
The restaurant is small and informal, with an authentic Costa Rican menu intermixed with some basic vegan offerings. Also offered delicious fruit smoothies which were reasonably priced.
Overall I'd highly recommend!

Date of visit: April 2015
4  Thank ot_james
Reviewed February 9, 2015

I have insisted on visiting the place because of its "Vegetarian Experience"
1. Would not trust the Vegetarian classification as they serve Bacon (the real thing). As far as my memory serve me its not a vegetable...... may be the hog was grass fed......
2. The Experience was defrosted pizza. yes you read right. We ordered pizza and it was factory made frozen pizza.
In general, its not a restaurant. Its a guy "cooking" at his front yard. get a power bar at the local grocery store. you would do yourself a great favor.

Date of visit: December 2014